Sony's SonicStage worst software ever?
Nov 30, 2005 at 2:25 PM Post #16 of 32
Ignoring the OTT DRM and extremes one has to resort to in order to use a Sony DAP on more than one PC, SS is very resource hogging. You need at least 512mb if not 1gb of RAM to make SS perform

Of course the new Connect software is meant to be worse
biggrin.gif

Nov 30, 2005 at 2:36 PM Post #17 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bijl
I installed it and it won't even start up
frown.gif

Theres a SS forum over on Minidisc.org which would be a better place to discuss fixing it. It tries to connect to the Sony Connect store and can have problems with firewalls etc. Usually you have no problems or you end up screaming at it. (sorry-Bijl)The version on Minidisc has the connect store bits removed, and doesn't need to connect to the web to install.

While I have no problems with it, I would definately not keep (or risk) my music library in it. Once of the reasons HiMD will never be my main player.

Nov 30, 2005 at 2:44 PM Post #18 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFC_SL
Ignoring the OTT DRM and extremes one has to resort to in order to use a Sony DAP on more than one PC, SS is very resource hogging. You need at least 512mb if not 1gb of RAM to make SS perform

Of course the new Connect software is meant to be worse
biggrin.gif

If they made it drag and drop except for their connect store downloads and SS rips it would be much better.

Nov 30, 2005 at 3:12 PM Post #19 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparky191
Theres a SS forum over on Minidisc.org which would be a better place to discuss fixing it. It tries to connect to the Sony Connect store and can have problems with firewalls etc. Usually you have no problems or you end up screaming at it. (sorry-Bijl)The version on Minidisc has the connect store bits removed, and doesn't need to connect to the web to install.

While I have no problems with it, I would definately not keep (or risk) my music library in it. Once of the reasons HiMD will never be my main player.

I don't have a Sony player yet, so it doesn't really matter since I was only trying it, but it says something about the program.

Nov 30, 2005 at 4:52 PM Post #20 of 32
It is pretty bad, but luckily you don't have to use it. I use MP3 File Manager with my NW-HD3, works like a charm
biggrin.gif

Nov 30, 2005 at 7:49 PM Post #21 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cjattwood
It is pretty bad, but luckily you don't have to use it. I use MP3 File Manager with my NW-HD3, works like a charm
biggrin.gif

But that doesn't convert to atrac
frown.gif
?

Nov 30, 2005 at 8:26 PM Post #23 of 32
Quote:

frown.gif
?

Yeah, I guess, but I've always liked using just good ol' mp3 anyways. Most of my music isn't ripped my me, so gapless support isn't a loss for me, but I can see why it would be a loss to other people.

Nov 30, 2005 at 8:56 PM Post #24 of 32
Quote:

frown.gif
?

AFAIK it shouldn't. The HD3 supports MP3. People need to stop believing the FUD around Sony players. Prior to the HD3 (i.e. HD1 and HD2 - 2 was Japan only) all Sony players only supported ATRAC natively. Now even the HD1 can do MP3 if you send it back and get an update.

Nov 30, 2005 at 9:50 PM Post #25 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by FenderP
People need to stop believing the FUD around Sony players.

Sony brought that on themselves and forever will it be. Even now, atrac still has more features than mp3 like being able to use the custom EQ instead of being stuck with presets (or so I've read).

Anyway, with my previous NJB1 and NJB3, I think Creative PlayCenter and PlayCenter2 deserve the distinction of being the worst software ever.

Nov 30, 2005 at 11:15 PM Post #26 of 32
What I used to hate with Creative software: you would make a change to a tag and then on the next sync, it would re-upload the file meaning you have 2 copies of the same song on your DAP (one correctly titled, one incorrectly). It was such a hassle.

And I agree -- SonicStage does what it sets out to do. Doesnt freeze, is relatively snappy (once you get past the very lengthy importing process; importing a few new tracks isnt a problem), and contrary to other testimonials, it doesnt take up too much resources (less than iTunes in any case).

Having said that, it needs improvement: it has to be more intuitive, especially with playlist/smart playlist/album handling. And I dont get "Groups" on Sony players. They do not compenaste for playlists as the same song cant be in two "Groups" without copying it twice. With the introduction of playlists, "Groups" are obsolete.

Dec 1, 2005 at 6:00 PM Post #30 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pluman
No, Connect is the worst software in human history. Sony needn't have made it and should have carried on SS3.3.

Agreed, although I don't like SS either it was finally starting to mature into a piece of software that was at least tolerable to use...Now they've gone and started the whole process again with the new Connect player...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back