SONY's Dynamic Normalizer = Bad Idea
Nov 4, 2009 at 1:21 PM Post #17 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by pata2001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agreed. I used to be on the camp of MegaBass and tweaking EQs, until I bought real good headphones. Alas, majority of people prefer distorted sound and think more bass/effects = better sq (and don't get me started on the Sony fanboys).

Sony does EQ presets better than any DAP I've ever heard, but its like anything - beer is great until you've had 10 or 12.

Nov 4, 2009 at 1:25 PM Post #18 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3X0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds like some people like distortion in their music, because that's what the Dynamic Normalizer seems to amount to.

And yet I havent seen a single post in this thread where anyone admits to using it, and I vividly remember all of the wowee settings being 'Off' when I first fired up the X and my NWZ-S738. Unlike the lack of support for FLAC and the use of proprietary connections, this isnt something I find annoying about my Sony players.

Nov 4, 2009 at 1:56 PM Post #19 of 34
I'll try to look into this when I have a Sony player. BTW, isn't BBE and JetEffect also advanced EQ settings? Or do they actually enhance the music more as opposed to the Dynamic Normalizer?

Nov 4, 2009 at 10:08 PM Post #20 of 34
Dynamic Normalizer is not an EQ setting. Well, it is in some way... a dynamic one. It has its place though! It sure destroys any dynamic in any music as it levels the volume in the entire file (terrible idea while listening to music), however it is perfect for podcasts where you want to hear the words, no matter how loud the recording is. And podcasts with a lot of outside recording and different interviews can greatly benefit from this feature.

Nov 5, 2009 at 3:32 PM Post #21 of 34
As has been noted in other threads, Dynamic Normalizer is not EQ or dynamic volume adjustment, but a sledgehammer compression algorithm, like the infamous Pro Tools Finalizer. It's the same technology that the industry is using in the Loudness War (google) to squash all recorded music into the dynamic equivalent of Death Magnetic. Some critics of the Loudness War say that "hot" (=overcompressed) music has become so prevalent today that younger listeners have come to prefer it. Music with totally squashed dynamics is the new normal. If bricked music is anyone's personal preference, then the Dynamic Squasher, er, Normalizer is the setting for them.

Wikipedia - Loudness War

The Death of High Fidelity

The Loudness War Analyzed

Nov 5, 2009 at 5:33 PM Post #22 of 34
Hi,according to Sony X manual:-

'Dynamic Normalizer
You can reduce the volume level between songs. With this setting, when
listening to album songs in the shuffle play mode, the volume level between
songs is moderated to minimize the difference in their recording levels.
 From the Home menu, select (Settings)  “Music Settings” 
“Dynamic Normalizer”  the desired Dynamic Normalizer type 
“OK.”
Type Description
On Minimizes the difference of the volume level between songs.
Off Plays back songs with their original volume level as transferred.
(Default setting)'

Just looks like Replay Gain,ie increases or decreases overall vol level.As no affect on quality of audio,whatsoever ie don't change nothing freq,vol level wise etc.
Now that DSEE does.

Googling seems to find similar results.Even for PSP,says similar.
To me this is just vol adjuster between tracks,prob only while shuffling thou.It don't look like no freq compression.loudness wars etc,well at least to me.
Unless someone can find different & post a link to it.

Cheers BOB

ps might switch it back on
o2smile.gif

Nov 5, 2009 at 5:51 PM Post #23 of 34
From a Sony press release:
Quote:

There's a 5-band equaliser to fine-tune your listening enjoyment. In addition, a Dynamic Normalizer balances volume levels between songs ensures a smooth, comfortable listening experience.

Nov 5, 2009 at 6:39 PM Post #24 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by pata2001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agreed. I used to be on the camp of MegaBass and tweaking EQs, until I bought real good headphones. Alas, majority of people prefer distorted sound and think more bass/effects = better sq (and don't get me started on the Sony fanboys).

No Sony fanboy here (in fact, I've had some flame wars over Sony DAPs), but I do own one Sony (A818) and don't use dynamic normalizer. To say, however, that Clear Bass delivers nothing more than distortion is an overgeneralization. I have a pair of Ety-driven phones, Altec-Lansing im616s, which I got for $14 via a liquidation sale. They had an MSRP of $149 five years ago, but never really sold for that much. Anyway, I use the Clear Bass on the Sony DAP with these phones, and it turns a nicely detailed set of IEMs (remember the Ety drivers) into a much better set of IEMs, with some very punchy, non-distorted acceptable bass.

Over-generalizing on EQ etc. really says about as much as "really good" headphones. I do agree that dynamic normalizer isn't needed if your phones can drive the DAP (like the 616s), but it does help somewhat with phones that need more power to hit a decent volume on the Sony.

Nov 5, 2009 at 6:57 PM Post #25 of 34
Hi,same as what i have read,wrote.Its like Replay Gain(there prob is some vol levels were it can affect Audio quality,prob in sense to SNR or clipping.But prob not a issue for the vast majority of tracks ie rare.Suppose you have to read up,then make your own mind up),if your MP3 player can use it.It just saves you turning vol level up & down manually between songs,well prob more albums.Or even more appropriate while shuffling,different vol levels of tracks from diff albums.Theres a few ways you can use Replay Gain to suit what you want,it uses/writes meta data in tags,Sony won't be doing that.
It might even be simpler than replay gain,it prob just turning vol level automatically,instead of you using the buttons etc.But no definitive answer as far as i can see.
It certainly don't look like no compression,like with Loudness wars.
Prob worth trying with it on or off,compare with same vol level thou.

Cheers BOB

Nov 5, 2009 at 7:30 PM Post #26 of 34
Wrong! Dynamic normalizer doesn't level the volume between SONGS! That is the problem. It levels the volume between loud and quiet in the song destroying all intended and played in dynamics. It does not analyze the entire song the way those PC normalizer programs do. That is the whole point and that's why it is great for podcasts. And yes, it is a compression tool not an EQ. Whoever thinks it is cool with music should go and get their ears checked before putting any money into their head-fi gear.

Nov 5, 2009 at 9:22 PM Post #27 of 34
Hi,that's not what it seems to imply in manual etc,or bit of info i read on web(not a extensive search/read time).Can you post a link please,which shows this is definitely not the case.
But anyway like what as been said,peeps can try off or on,& decide which is best/suits them.After reading Manual(a bit at first)iv'e had it turned on,certainly going now to try it off.Whatever it does.

DSEE def does processing.Bit BBE like.

'DSEE (Sound Enhance)
By activating the “DSEE*1(Sound Enhance)” feature, you can hear a rich and
natural sound almost exactly like the original source.
 From the Home menu, select (Settings)  “Music Settings” 
“DSEE(Sound Enhance)”  the desired DSEE (Sound Enhance)
type  “OK.”
Type Description
On The “DSEE*1(Sound Enhance)” function is activated, and plays back naturally
extended sound that is close to the original sound.
Off Disables the “DSEE (Sound Enhance)” function and plays back normal sound.
(Default setting)
*1 DSEE, which stands for Digital Sound Enhancement Engine, is a technology developed
by Sony, to enhance the sound quality of compressed audio files by restoring high-range
sound removed by the compression process.
Notes
 The “DSEE (Sound Enhance)” setting is not applied while playing a video, YouTube
video, podcast video, external input audio, or FM radio.
 The “DSEE(Sound Enhance)” function is not effective for songs with a file format that is
not compressed, or songs that are of a high bit rate with no treble loss.
 In the case of songs of very low bit rate, the “DSEE(Sound Enhance)” function will not
be effective.'

Excuse copy & paste please.
Shame Sony don't give more detailed info,unless they have somewhere?
Guessing completely,but lets say they measure output of OP AMP,then alter this to a average vol level.Complete guess thou & could/prob be completely untrue.

Cheers BOB

Mar 15, 2018 at 3:45 AM Post #29 of 34
Theory:

If it would work like replay gain it wouldn't be named dynamic normalizer but maybe something like decibel normalizer. Whatever... dynamic is a very unclear word here. Because there are two kinds of dynamic. Dynamic inside a song and dynamic between songs.

Practice:

If you want to know if there is any quality loss you can use 2 songs with very different volume level in a list. Than you will find out if these tracks sounding strange by using dynamic normalizer.

Mar 15, 2018 at 4:08 AM Post #30 of 34
Yes, the whole swissarmy knife of applications is now upon us with Sony DAP firmware. I tried the software and found it unusable, but who’s to say it may be a cool thing in 10 or 15 years.

Lucky there is an off switch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back