SONY's Dynamic Normalizer = Bad Idea
Mar 15, 2018 at 7:47 AM Post #31 of 34
NSony always tried to be innovative, premium and mainstream together. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.

The biggest question of all to me is why so less player can read replaygain tags. I know that fiio will adding it with firmware updates in the future on there newest models as they already have on the old ones. But that's all as far as I know. And when they can, everyone should can it, too.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2018 at 3:20 PM Post #32 of 34
Dynamic normalizer is probably the worst thing you can do to your music. It is downright horrible.

Nov 14, 2018 at 10:52 PM Post #33 of 34
Dynamic normalizer is probably the worst thing you can do to your music. It is downright horrible.

If you want to turn off all EQ settings use direct source. I use dynamic normalizer for some MP3 files and YouTube music files I converted to flac. I’ve used DSHEE to upscale music to CD quality and it works. I have the Sony WM1Z, if the album is remastered very well, just use direct source but you’d have to turn up the volume, with the latest software update 3.0 makes heavy metal sound great with that slam bass & guitars.

Mar 18, 2019 at 6:55 AM Post #34 of 34
What is your opinion on SONY's DYNAMIC NORMALIZER found on Walkmans ?

It depends. It's there because it has a function. Normally I wouldn't use it especially with classical music because it suppresses dynamic range. But it's useful late at night when I don't want to wake up my housemates with sudden bursts of loud music. It brings up soft passages so I don't need to turn up the volume too much. On headphones I might use it on the train or plane where ambient noise can drown out soft passages.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back