Sony ZX700s died, looking for a decent replacement
Aug 31, 2013 at 4:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

BenAdamson

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, I'm looking for something to replace my broken Sony ZX700 headphones. After a year or two of very light use, the sound in the right ear suddenly went completely. On taking them apart to try to repair them, I found that the internal wire is incredibly thin, like an IEM. No wonder it broke somewhere across the headphones. Other people have had this issue, it seems to be a bit of a design flaw. It's a shame because they were perfect for me, comfortable and the audio was great at a reasonable price of £75.

So what options do I have for a new set of headphones? I'm in the £50-80 budget but could spend a bit more if it was worth it for a big step up in quality. I know the Grado SR60i is a good set, but in the summer guide it lists the price as significantly lower than the zx700s, but in the UK they're the same price at £75 (usually higher)! Are they still good value for money here? The ATH-M50s may be over my budget at £130.

The guide makes it seem like the ZX700s are the best choice, but I kinda want to go for something new, and also feel a bit burned that they gave up the ghost so easily despite taking good care of them.

I'll use this for anything from rock to electronic, looking for a medium-warm sound (but that's not too important, quality is key). I'll also be using these for gaming so an excellent soundstage would be a big bonus. I'll be using my UCA202 USB DAC mostly but maybe also my phone or clip+. I'm open to open-backed headphones too :wink:

Thanks!

Sep 5, 2013 at 10:27 AM Post #2 of 9
Hello!

Would be helpful if you can list down what you like and dislike about the ZX700! I do however prefer the Sennheiser HD439 over the ATH-M50 for better soundstage, imaging less recessed mids and the detachable cable is a nice plus!

Hope it helps!
Billson :)

Sep 5, 2013 at 10:42 AM Post #3 of 9
What about the CAL! http://www.amazon.co.uk/Creative-51EF0060AA001-Aurvana-Live-Headphones/dp/B000W6Y0JY/
They seem pretty good for gaming according to this
http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-9-2-2013-sony-ma900-added

Sep 5, 2013 at 11:14 AM Post #4 of 9
I'll use this for anything from rock to electronic, looking for a medium-warm sound (but that's not too important, quality is key). I'll also be using these for gaming so an excellent soundstage would be a big bonus. I'll be using my UCA202 USB DAC mostly but maybe also my phone or clip+. I'm open to open-backed headphones too :wink:

Takstar Pro 80 (Gemini HSR-1000) are a great value for the price.

JVC HA-S500, more of a portable type, so good for use with Clip+ & phone.

Sep 5, 2013 at 11:20 AM Post #5 of 9
Hello!

Would be helpful if you can list down what you like and dislike about the ZX700! I do however prefer the Sennheiser HD439 over the ATH-M50 for better soundstage, imaging less recessed mids and the detachable cable is a nice plus!

Hope it helps!
Billson
smily_headphones1.gif

The ZX700 had a nice overall sound, I guess I would call it 'balanced'. I'm looking for a warmish sounding headphone with punchy (but not overpowering) bass and decent clarity.

What about the CAL! http://www.amazon.co.uk/Creative-51EF0060AA001-Aurvana-Live-Headphones/dp/B000W6Y0JY/
They seem pretty good for gaming according to this
http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-9-2-2013-sony-ma900-added

That seems like a very good idea actually, I'm currently looking at this or the ATH-M50 which seems to be about £100 from a few online shops. The ATH-M50 is about double the price though, to the CAL may be a very strong contender!

Sep 5, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #6 of 9
I'm drifting towards pushing the "buy" button on the CAL! - I'm just wondering if there's anything in the £50-80 price point that can beat them. They seem to be punching over their weight at £52!

Sep 5, 2013 at 7:12 PM Post #7 of 9
I'm drifting towards pushing the "buy" button on the CAL! - I'm just wondering if there's anything in the £50-80 price point that can beat them. They seem to be punching over their weight at £52!

Have never tested the CAL but the HD439 does suit your needs as in "warmish" "punchy" and "decent clarity"

Billson :)

Sep 5, 2013 at 7:49 PM Post #8 of 9
I've bought the CAL on amazon, thanks everybody!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back