Sony Xperia Z5 Range - Audio Quality
Mar 16, 2016 at 7:39 PM Post #361 of 407
Some users have reported Bluetooth skipping with third party apps in Marshmallow now but not with Sony's app. I tried PowerAmp it happens unless my phone is still and nothings covering it. Another thing is that with PowerAmp alpha version (which must be reinstalled to work on Marshmallow) when I move to a different part of the song the volume dips for 3 seconds before coming back.

Mar 18, 2016 at 7:00 PM Post #363 of 407
  It's related to impedance and sensitivity. My IM70 only has 10 ohms, but the hissing isn't as bad as on the HTC Butterfly s which also had a 0.35V headphone output. On the HTC the hissing would remain a few seconds after you pause a track and then silence out, while on the Z5 it pauses right away which makes it less obvious. Z5's max volume is equal to 13/15 on the HTC, which is good enough for IEMs and some portable headphones (M50, MSR7, MDR100AAP). The Z5 mainly hisses at the end of each track especially with a fadeout, but doesn't hiss as much in a song that fades in or has some empty space in the beginning.

How are the XBA-A3 on them? At Audio-Technica's showroom I tried the IM04 on them, and they distorted badly at the maximum volume. It might be due to the low impedance of its BA drivers.

I've got xba-a3 with my z5c and I must say yes, there is some very low noise but only on mp3 or any 16bit tracks, however when i put on my noble savant I can hear it much clearer and bit louder than xba-a3. But this noise was only on 16 bit tracks. As soon I turn on DSEE HX it noticeably cuts that noise.

Mar 20, 2016 at 11:37 PM Post #364 of 407
  I've got xba-a3 with my z5c and I must say yes, there is some very low noise but only on mp3 or any 16bit tracks, however when i put on my noble savant I can hear it much clearer and bit louder than xba-a3. But this noise was only on 16 bit tracks. As soon I turn on DSEE HX it noticeably cuts that noise.

hmm, I don't think the noise itself is a problem but it somehow increases in the beginning and end of each track. I can even hear a static pop that repeats when I plug the headphone in and open Spotify or PowerAmp. I don't think this is due to damage of the headphone jack either as usually when I spin a headphone plug around I don't notice any problem (very occasionally I do with the IM70 but it could be some water or dust affecting it).

I'm not sure of DSEE HX works with PowerAMP. I don't really notice much of a difference with it turned on even with the stock app. Quite a few people are saying Bluetooth is actually worse with Marshmallow now as well...

Jun 6, 2016 at 7:33 PM Post #368 of 407
Bluetooth is pretty bad using my JBL Charge 2 speakers. On Poweramp and other third-party apps it now skips intermittently especially with background tasks running. On stock music it skips less but still more than on Lollipop.

Headphone quality is pretty much the same but I'm not sure if DSee HX works or not because the audio pauses but I hear little, if any difference.

I'm not sure if the Z5's volume clips at the maximum level, but with some 16 ohm IEMs I feel like it is just barely loud enough but with the MSR7 it often sounds more than loud enough and the sub-bass sounds deeper than my Fiio E10K. The highs are a bit hot though but by no means unbearable. I'm not sure if this is the sound signature or distortion.

Has anyone tried Xperia X headphone quality yet? GSMArena's measurements are disappointing but there were one or two articles claiming it has a dedicated DAC, but take with a grain of salt. GSMArena's audio reviews have gone downhill recently as they gave mediocre measurements for both the HTC 10 and LG V10 despite other sites showing better measurements - I suspect they have been measuring the integrated DAC by mistake.

Jun 7, 2016 at 2:00 PM Post #369 of 407
In the Changelog of the newest FW 32.2.A.0.224 there is the point improved sound processing but I have none idea if I noticed (m)any difference  then before :frowning2:

Overall the SQ is ok with the Z5 Compact, but an truely audiophile stay away from the phone even it says Hi-Res Audio certified, the DAC is light noisy and there is definitve some sort of interference noises while music titles fade out (using an sensitive IEM)

Jun 8, 2016 at 12:39 PM Post #370 of 407
Well, I wouldn't condone the purchase of this phone at all, am tempted to say - for Sony phones in general...

First, the random resets, I can deal with that, but - now my phone is suffering with the non-operational headphone jack that others have reported...

Will have to send in for repair - I must say, outside of rooting issues (back in time there was an issue with Samsung phones and NAND memory IIRC), the only phones I've had fail on me through natural causes are Sony handsets, this Z5 Premium, and - a T630 (IIRC the model number, been a while) - regardless of all the other manufacturers handsets I've had, no others have failed :frowning2:

Jun 9, 2016 at 6:41 PM Post #371 of 407
So far I haven't had much problem with the headphone jack but I've read a lot of reports of the headphone jack not functioning and it sounds like a software problem as some have reported it happening after updating their system.

Here's another review: www.androidauthority.com/best-of-android-2015-audio-660588/

The Z5 sits somewhere in the middle of the pack, with low dynamic range and -100dB signal-to-noise ratio (the best of the pack). The reviewers seem more disappointed at the ZTE Axon and Moto X Force.

The Xperia Z5 is one that the bass junkies will love. It really thumps on kicks but isn’t overbearing and provides excellent details in the mids that holds up well in the highs too. I really couldn’t find much to complain about here but it’s tough to call it notably ahead of the Note 5 or Axon.

With IEMs I tend to think the Z5's bass is somewhat blunt-ended, but strangely enough it is quite punchy and deep on my MSR7.

Jun 16, 2016 at 5:13 AM Post #372 of 407
I just got .224 a few days ago. I didn't notice much difference in sound quality. I still can't really hear a difference between DSEE HX on or off, so I'm not sure if it's just me or if the function isn't working properly. 

Bluetooth is much better compared to 6.0 but not quite as good as Lollipop. There are still very occasional skips and if I'm slowly scrolling pictures in the Album app by dragging the scroller on the side, the audio will stutter really badly.

Aug 12, 2016 at 3:03 AM Post #373 of 407
Just created the powered OTG cable and verified that no my Meridian Explorer does not work with the New Sony Xperia Z5. The new Cable works with my Samsung G4 still which it did from day 1. So I am not sure if this is Sony's brand blocking my Meridan from being recognized or if it is the new Android 5. 

Anyone else have this same experience?

I figured it out. For the meridian Explorer. 1St connect your dac to the other end of the OTG cable 2nd goto settings device connection USB connectivity then click detect USB device as it searches connect the OTG cable to the phone. The dac should respond. Yaaaaa..... Cant believe it is this difficult to get these to connect..

Aug 14, 2016 at 9:06 PM Post #374 of 407
I figured it out. For the meridian Explorer. 1St connect your dac to the other end of the OTG cable 2nd goto settings device connection USB connectivity then click detect USB device as it searches connect the OTG cable to the phone. The dac should respond. Yaaaaa..... Cant believe it is this difficult to get these to connect..

It's not difficult but logical and required. Xperia Z5 is waterproof including the USB connector so it's normal that USB otg autodetection is disable. Electricity + water is not a good match ^^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back