Sony Xperia Z5 Range - Audio Quality
Jan 13, 2016 at 7:59 AM Post #346 of 407
I only use my Z5C as a source for my Mojo, don't even have a SIM in it. I charged both Mojo & Z5C over 10 days ago and listened to the Mojo until it went flat (so only ~ 8hrs over that time) but the Z5C was still showing 46% with another 7 days estimated on standby (Z5 set to Stamina Mode) !! Seems to loose only 1-2% per day in standby (in flight mode). Fabulous as a source for the Mojo USB DAC. 

Jan 13, 2016 at 10:11 AM Post #347 of 407
I've had my Z5C for about 4 weeks now.  This week, I did some comparisons of it to my ZX1 Walkman, which is currently my baseline for listening to music on my Sony Z7 full size headphones with Kimber cables.  I also own a pair of Monster Turbine Pro Copper in ear headphones for times I don't want to mess with the large ones.

Using the in-ear units, there is a noticeable difference in clarity when listening to the same DSD file on each source unit.  My guess is the ZX1's superior amplifier is making the difference.  I used the same sound settings on both, and the automatic headphone adjustment feature on the Z5C was turned off.  I have found I don't like the sound I get from that feature anyway.

Moving to the full size headphones, resulted in a much bigger difference than I expected.  The Z5C needed nearly full volume to drive the big headphones, while the ZX1 was at its usual half volume for the same song.  The ZX1 had far superiority clarity and a lot more bass punch than the Z5C.  The Z5C didn't sound bad, it just didn't sound nearly as good as the ZX1.  I guess this is why Sony put the amp they did in the ZX1.

At this point, I can't speak to how the Z5C works as a transport in much detail.  When streaming Bluetooth in my car, I don't notice a difference between the two units.  I do like how the Z5C is compatible and seamless with all of my Hi Res audio files (something that my iPhone 5S isn't capable of).  

Side note, I did some comparison with my iPhone 5S and the Z5C using the in-ear headphones, and I found the Z5C to sound slightly better when using Apple Lossless files for comparison.  This makes the Z5C fit my needs nicely for listening to music on my in ear headphones when traveling and such.

I'm debating about getting the Sony PHA3 in the near future, and I will probably do another comparison of the Z5C and the ZX1 as sources for that.  I expect there to be little or no difference in sound quality.  

Jan 13, 2016 at 6:02 PM Post #348 of 407
I didn't find the Z5C headphone out quality good. I only use as a source for my Mojo. Had a ZX2 and that was nearly as good as the Z5C/Mojo sound.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Jan 14, 2016 at 12:38 AM Post #349 of 407
NW750 and NC750 are the same but because one is sold by Sony electronics and the other one by Sony Mobile, that's why they have 2 different ref. EX750 are differents though because they include 2 mics per in ear for Noise Cancelling system while NW750/NC750 only have 1
Btw, NW750 are also ZX100 official in ear :wink:
the NW750 has a TRRRS connector also? Interesting...

Edit: the reason I ask is that on the Z5 handset the NW750 and NC750 are on different buttons whereas other headsets are grouped together, so would assume different in some way, as below :

Re the two mics versus one, I presume that the NW/NC gain their extra noise cancelling from the mics on the phone / player itself, it is quite funny making a call with the NC750, what you can hear...

Jan 15, 2016 at 11:22 PM Post #350 of 407
No it's just a usual move from Sony.
Walkman/Audio line can share their technologies to Xperia but they still keep the better version. XPERIA have neither NC level control nor Automatic AI NC features.

Noise cancelling EX headset are designed to be superior than NW/NC + Xperia.

And I do agree, that selecting chart makes you think it's different though ^^

Jan 23, 2016 at 8:11 PM Post #351 of 407
Long time reader, first time poster!

I have the new  Xperia Z5 compact and was wondering if FiiO's new K1 DAC/Amp is compatible? Does anyone know this or have experience of this?

And if not could you recommend a suitable alternative, bearing in mind the smaller form factor of the phone itself .

Jan 24, 2016 at 1:38 PM Post #352 of 407
  Long time reader, first time poster!

I have the new  Xperia Z5 compact and was wondering if FiiO's new K1 DAC/Amp is compatible? Does anyone know this or have experience of this?

And if not could you recommend a suitable alternative, bearing in mind the smaller form factor of the phone itself .

I would recommend the JDS Labs C5D. Very close in size to the Z5C and noticeable upgrade. Downside is no DSD and limited to 96/24 resolution. However, the amp section is the best I've heard in that price range in my opinion. The bass boost option is really useful as the default sound is very neutral. My general experience with Fiio DAC/Amp combos is nothing memorable and doubtful that it would be a noticeable upgrade from just the Z5C itself. If you can spend the extra dollars, the best price/performance would be Chord Mojo by quite a wide margin. However, Mojo is challenging to stack.

In terms of compatibility - any DAC/Amp that supports Android OTG should work. In the personal shortcut menu options (swipe from top of the screen), you should add "Detect USB" to the shortcuts so you have easy access to it each time you connect your DAC/Amp. Some auto detect and some don't.

Jan 27, 2016 at 3:54 AM Post #353 of 407
Some users have complained about the Z5 output hissing with IEMs- I don't think it's too bad in most songs during silent parts, but at the end of each song you can hear it increase in volume just before the track fades out.. (using IM70).

Jan 30, 2016 at 5:45 AM Post #354 of 407
  Some users have complained about the Z5 output hissing with IEMs- I don't think it's too bad in most songs during silent parts, but at the end of each song you can hear it increase in volume just before the track fades out.. (using IM70).

Used my Z5 for about a month now, and i don't find any hissing with my IEMs. Only noticeable when i turn the volume really high or when i on the sound optimization mode which surprisingly "optimize" the sound quality in a rather unique way making some songs actually sounding better and other sounding ever worse.

Jan 30, 2016 at 2:55 PM Post #355 of 407
  Used my Z5 for about a month now, and i don't find any hissing with my IEMs. Only noticeable when i turn the volume really high or when i on the sound optimization mode which surprisingly "optimize" the sound quality in a rather unique way making some songs actually sounding better and other sounding ever worse.

It's related to impedance and sensitivity. My IM70 only has 10 ohms, but the hissing isn't as bad as on the HTC Butterfly s which also had a 0.35V headphone output. On the HTC the hissing would remain a few seconds after you pause a track and then silence out, while on the Z5 it pauses right away which makes it less obvious. Z5's max volume is equal to 13/15 on the HTC, which is good enough for IEMs and some portable headphones (M50, MSR7, MDR100AAP). The Z5 mainly hisses at the end of each track especially with a fadeout, but doesn't hiss as much in a song that fades in or has some empty space in the beginning.

How are the XBA-A3 on them? At Audio-Technica's showroom I tried the IM04 on them, and they distorted badly at the maximum volume. It might be due to the low impedance of its BA drivers.

Feb 1, 2016 at 3:07 AM Post #356 of 407
  It's related to impedance and sensitivity. My IM70 only has 10 ohms, but the hissing isn't as bad as on the HTC Butterfly s which also had a 0.35V headphone output. On the HTC the hissing would remain a few seconds after you pause a track and then silence out, while on the Z5 it pauses right away which makes it less obvious. Z5's max volume is equal to 13/15 on the HTC, which is good enough for IEMs and some portable headphones (M50, MSR7, MDR100AAP). The Z5 mainly hisses at the end of each track especially with a fadeout, but doesn't hiss as much in a song that fades in or has some empty space in the beginning.

How are the XBA-A3 on them? At Audio-Technica's showroom I tried the IM04 on them, and they distorted badly at the maximum volume. It might be due to the low impedance of its BA drivers.

I see, i didn't notice any hissing probably because most of my IEMs are 16-32ohms. My A3s have a larger soundstage and more laid back vocals when using the Z5 compared to my iPod Touch and iPhone4S. Can't say much about headphones since i'm not a fan of headphones and amps because of portability but i auditioned all of the Sony's latest Hi-Res audio range IEMs and headphones (In Malaysia, KL they have really huge Sony Stores with almost all of their products to play with) and find most of them except for the 1A and Z7 (most likely not enough power to drive em) sound really good with the Z5.

Mar 10, 2016 at 2:03 AM Post #358 of 407
I also checked it on Sony. DSEE HX only works on Wired mode.. however if you are using MDR-1ABT this shouldn't be an issue.. because MDR-1ABT got DSEE itself + S-master.. also DSEE HX upscales the compressed audio which could be referring to mp3 or 320kbps format.. for 24bit audio, i don't think DSEE is necessary.. 

you can refer to this link:
http://www.sony.com/electronics/headband-headphones/mdr-1abt/specifications

DSEE was mentioned there

Mar 16, 2016 at 3:04 PM Post #360 of 407
MM is pretty good, but looking forward to when stamina mode comes back... If it is compatible with the new doze mode, should allow for some great standby times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back