Sony Xperia Z5 Range - Audio Quality
Oct 30, 2015 at 7:34 AM Post #226 of 407
  My 4 hour old Z5 is draining 10% an hour doing nothing.
my Lumia 930 (that I only swapped due to PDF reading issues)
actually had a good battery life, only had to charge overnight and I use
my phone a lot for work. My previous Iphone 5 had a life of about 3hrs

My two weeks old Z5C battery is draining about 15-20% a day with light use, Stamina power saving on, Wifi activated.
atsmile.gif

It takes a few loading cycles to achieve  optimum battery capacity of course,
but what you are experiencing does not look normal.

Oct 30, 2015 at 7:53 AM Post #227 of 407
Although in the first few hours of use a lot of updating and installing is going on of course.
You might give the Z5 some time & a few loading cycles before passing final judgement.

Nov 4, 2015 at 12:05 PM Post #230 of 407
Hello Folks, 

Just did a rather brief A/B test with my Z5 Compact against my new Nexus 5X. Unsurprisingly, there isn't much of a contest. I can't say the Nexus 5X sounds bad, but the Z5 Compact clearly beats it in the few tracks I tested on. Bass has a reassuring punch with the Z5 Compact, but treble is where it really outshines the Nexus 5X. Volume-wise, they're nearly identical (I could max both out, but with a fair amount of discomfort) with my Dunu DN-2000J IEMs. I'm not an expert by any means, but the Z5 clearly sounds superior to me and it's very noticeable in the highs. The highs seem veiled on the 5X while at times they can get ear-piercing on the Z5 Compact, but not in a bad way. 

Anyway, still liking my Z5 Compact despite a few issues. The latest OTA really made it more smooth in general use and the camera is much faster. I'm pleased and will be keeping it. Nexus will go back to Google. The Z5 Compact will go nicely with my LG V10 I plan to buy today, you know, for when I can't get the darn 5.7" screen out of my pocket :)

Best, 

-Collin-

Nov 4, 2015 at 4:39 PM Post #231 of 407
How are low impedance IEMs with this? Just saw another complaint about hissing/background noise on Reddit...

Has anyone here previously owned HTC Butterfly s or One M7?

Nov 4, 2015 at 4:42 PM Post #232 of 407
  How are low impedance IEMs with this? Just saw another complaint about hissing/background noise on Reddit...

Has anyone here previously owned HTC Butterfly s or One M7?

I definitely hear a hissing, unfortunately. I probably should haven't mentioned that, but it hasn't really bothered me. I owned an M7, but I knew nothing about audio when I had it. Then again I still know nothing, but I have slightly trained my ears :)

Can you link the Reddit thread? I'd love to see if it's consistent with what I'm hearing, but in a nutshell yes I hear the hissing. 

-Collin-

Nov 4, 2015 at 6:32 PM Post #233 of 407
https://www.reddit.com/r/SonyXperia/comments/3riwsd/xperia_z5_statichissing_noise_in_headphones/ seems even more people are reporting it as well

I had quite a bit of hissing on the Butterfly s and some CPU noise at times. Almost unnoticeable with on/over-ear headphones.

Nov 4, 2015 at 6:40 PM Post #234 of 407
Ouch. Well, the hiss is definitely there for me on my 8 ohm earphones, as well as my 22ohm Altone200s. 

Edit: now I'm annoyed, zero hiss whatsoever on my Nexus 5X. **sigh** Sony...

Nov 6, 2015 at 5:58 PM Post #236 of 407
Just got my Sony Xperia Z5 today. 
I have been using a meridian explorer with my Samsung Galaxy S4 for years now. 
My DAC is not recognized by the new Z5 I don't know yet if that is because the phone is under powered for the supply to the dac compared to the S4 yet because my OTG does not have a outside source power connection. 

I will have to make a new OTG cable with the outside power capability and try this again. 
If that is the case it's going to suck to have to also carry a power bank with my DAC and Z5 now.

Nov 7, 2015 at 10:19 AM Post #238 of 407
  Has anyone tried USB OTG with a portable DAC with these?

yes, see Mojo thread, I hear no hiss with Z5 & DT1350 and Vmoda XS, with or without Mojo

Nov 7, 2015 at 10:20 AM Post #239 of 407
  Although in the first few hours of use a lot of updating and installing is going on of course.
You might give the Z5 some time & a few loading cycles before passing final judgement.

battery settled down after a couple of days, now much better, I use it a lot and a full charge lasts
me almost a day

Nov 7, 2015 at 5:55 PM Post #240 of 407
  battery settled down after a couple of days, now much better, I use it a lot and a full charge lasts
me almost a day

About the same for me here too. I think the two day claim isn't going to happen anytime soon, but I'm happy to be able to hammer on it all day and not kill it by 5pm. 

-Collin-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back