Sony Xperia Z3 Audio Quality
May 20, 2016 at 5:59 PM Post #616 of 655
So, I bought the phone, and I would call the Xperia Z3 something of an unfortunate beast when it comes to audio.

The output impedance is too high to cleanly drive 16 ohm headphones, yet the output volume is too low to drive higher ones.
I don't know the exact output impedance but based on what I hear I would want to use at least 20 Ohm headphones with them and preferably 32 Ohm. If it were possible to somehow unlock the output volume on the Xperia, then that would definitely be preferred.
The main problems are the underdamped (loose, bloated) bass response and lack of high frequencies. I am comparing to a Realtek ALC889 which just sounds crisper, cleaner and better in every way with both headphones tested.

The positive side is that the Sony MH570 headphones that are supplied with the phone actually sound pretty good. The stock headphones on all the previous phones I owned used to be straight up garbage, but these are actually fairly decent.

Oh well. It's a great phone otherwise, it could have been better in the audio department though (and the camera :p )

May 24, 2016 at 4:37 PM Post #617 of 655
Further testing of headphones ranging from 32 Ohms and 56 Ohms impedance: The Xperia was still just loud enough at 56 Ohms with the Superlux HD668B (98dB SPL, 1mW), so the output volume is not as bad as claimed.

However, I noticed that the lack of details and highs is not a problem of impedance, but rather a general treble roll off on the DAC / amp of the Xperia Z3. It makes FLAC music sound like 192 kbit MP3, with no air or crispness. I had to boost 16 kHz about +5 dB to get the highs to the same level as on the computer (same headphones).

The DAC seems to roll off starting around 8 Khz. This really shouldn't be. I will see how this can be properly measured.
I'm also going to try to measure the output impedance of the device with a 33 ohm resistor and see what the actual value is.

With 16 ohm headphones, the bass is bigger on the Xperia Z3, but the bass control is poor, sounding late, bloated, with low frequency resonance. This is quite a bit better with 32 ohm headphones where the bass sounds tighter damped, but the treble issue still remains.

Honestly, I'm a bit let down after all the hype in this thread. Looks like the smartphone world has yet to catch up to a 2$, 9 year old Realtek chip.

May 25, 2016 at 3:22 AM Post #618 of 655
I have an unlocked Z2, and I didn't think I would upgrade to a Z3 so soon. But I just did. In fact, this is just a research of what gave me this decision.

1/ Z3 with only a little bit better specs in hardware, also slimmer, lighter, longer lasting battery
2/ Z3 now can play High-Res audio. You can call it "HD-Audio"

Now, my question was, how could Sony claim it ? Was it just a Software to color the music ? the Equalizer of some short ? I did a lot of research, and I was lucky that I found my answers.

From Sony "Z2 had the capability to play HD audio, but you will need a converter, where as the Z3 has it built in, as long as you have an HD head sets, then you can listen to your HD Music"

1/ Z3 use WCD9320 Audio Codec which is Qualcomm
2/ Z3 also use TFA9890 (2x) chips. Now, this is an DAC amp with each single one can sample the music rating at 8-48kHz. Two of these brings the Z3 to be able to sample up to 96kHz.

So how is this different from the other Android phones and or Iphone 6 ?

I am not a nerd with full knowledge of Music Technologies, but what I do get is

"It is a Phone together with a Portable Amp.....?" It may not be the S-Master chipset, but this is just already too good

Yeah, and that was the deciding factor for me to went ahead and made my purchase. Any other phones may claim to be able to play HD audio, but non of them have these good built-in AMP!! Z3 also has the software to restore loss bits from MP3 songs >.< Don't know how it work....
tongue.gif

Xperia Z3 tear down picture can be found here
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Sony-Xperia-Z3-gets-disassembled-has-modular-component-layout-is-easy-to-repair_id61323

TFA9890 DAC chip can be found here
http://www.nxp.com/documents/short_data_sheet/TFA9890_SDS.pdf

I will update as soon as my Z3 arrived.
biggrin.gif

I didn't know where to post this, and I research about headphones a lot in this section. I thought I would post it here for whoever is curious about the Xperia Z3 Audio Quality.

Please feel free to fix my mistakes as if I misunderstood any of the new technologies. Thank you:D

z3 has good dac?

May 28, 2016 at 3:35 PM Post #619 of 655
I want to get the sony z3 because i lost my fiio x1 and i need a smartphone. How do you think the sound would compare to the fiio x1's. Also does the z3 compact have the same sound chip as z3 and how did you get to use the walkmans clear audio on poweramp they are 2 seperate players.

Jun 20, 2016 at 3:08 PM Post #621 of 655
So @Whitigir, is the Z3 loudness low or ear piercing via headphones?
Still puzzled.

I'm planning an upgrade from my Asus Zenfone 2, which is actually great in headphones sound department, very loud and clear.
(I'm using Sehnheiser CX 300).

Would you guys recommend Z3 for listening to music?

Jun 20, 2016 at 4:21 PM Post #622 of 655
So @Whitigir, is the Z3 loudness low or ear piercing via headphones?
Still puzzled.

I'm planning an upgrade from my Asus Zenfone 2, which is actually great in headphones sound department, very loud and clear.
(I'm using Sehnheiser CX 300).

Would you guys recommend Z3 for listening to music?

That would be very "low" :D. Z3 is n older technology. Check out LG V10 or HTC 10

Jun 26, 2016 at 7:46 AM Post #623 of 655
Hi everyone new guy hear! I'm planning on getting the fiio a3 and SM E80 to listen from my xperia z5.. The SM E80 is listed as having 64 ohm.. that's why I wanted an amp.. cause I hear low output in z5.. am I correct to believe this? Is it not necessary for amp? In this budget (less than 200usd) is there any alternatives?

Sep 27, 2016 at 4:01 AM Post #626 of 655
When using Neutron on the Z3, in Audio Hardware it says the output is 48kHz.
Does this mean that Neutron is only detecting one of the Z3's dual DACs?
For this reason I use the Walkman app when listening to 24bit 96k files, which is a shame because I'd love to use Neutron for everything because it's amazing.

Oct 27, 2016 at 1:13 AM Post #627 of 655
I still use my zune hd till this day for music. it's a really a rugged little thing. 

i use it over my z3c mainly because it has louder sound. But Im wondering if I should stop using it and just use my z3c as my daily music listenting device. 

What do you guys think about z3c vs zune hd SQ comparison? anyone have experience with that?

Also, would you guys still say the z3 was the best sounding smart-phone in 2014? 

Oct 30, 2016 at 10:42 PM Post #628 of 655
hey guys what does EQ actually do. i always want to listen to music the way artist intended it and i have the z3c. 

Would you recommend that I tinker with the EQ settings or just leave it flat? Whats the purpose of EQ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back