Sony Xperia Z3+ announced.
Jun 28, 2015 at 9:24 PM Post #16 of 30
You also have to take into account the driver size, since headphones definitely have bigger drivers than IEMs.

Sure, but sensitivity is the numerical spec that takes care of that.  Also IEMs are closer to the ear drum.

They wont drive their own portable headphones well, or Beats, which has to be a market placement error.

Jul 18, 2015 at 4:41 PM Post #28 of 30
Looks like you're using low impedance IEMs. Did you try with a high impedance headphone? Because it sure sounds soft even on max volume with my PRO700MKIIs

A smartphone is not ideal to drive professional studio headphones :)

You'll need a dedicated dap with a powerful amp or at least an HTC flagship coz I used and tried several smartphones, the Z3 is just about 5% quieter than average which should be enough for iems and portable on ear headphones of up to 40 ohms. Anything above 40 ohms are usually considered for specific usage ( monitoring, djing and audiophile needs paired with a decent amp) but not for music OTG through a smartphone's audio output.

Jul 18, 2015 at 9:49 PM Post #29 of 30
A smartphone is not ideal to drive professional studio headphones :)

You'll need a dedicated dap with a powerful amp or at least an HTC flagship coz I used and tried several smartphones, the Z3 is just about 5% quieter than average which should be enough for iems and portable on ear headphones of up to 40 ohms. Anything above 40 ohms are usually considered for specific usage ( monitoring, djing and audiophile needs paired with a decent amp) but not for music OTG through a smartphone's audio output.

It's up to user preference. I currently use a Fiio E11 with my S6. The reason I don't use IEMs is because my ears hurt a lot after I use them for a long time. Custom IEMs cost a lot so I'll rather settle with headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back