Sony Xperia Z2 vs HTC One M8 for best sound quality/functionality
May 7, 2014 at 4:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Azaril000

New Head-Fier
Hi all, broke my Samsung S3 so looking to upgrade my phone.I have the option of getting HTC One M8 or the Xperia Z2. I don't really want to upgrade back to Samsung as i just came from one and would like to try something new!

I know both phones are similar sizes. The HTC obviously (personal opinion) looks better and sleek but looks can only go so far. The Z2 i hear has a lot more functionality/features. I am mainly concerned about the sound quality as I use my phone daily and as my main source of listening to music when out and about. So sound quality is very important to me. I mostly listen to alot genres but a lot more of rock/blues when out and a lot of trance/edm music when gyming.

Anyone have any personal experience of which of the two has the superior overall sound quality (via headphones/earphones. I don't care about the built in speakers)?

Many Thanks!

Jun 2, 2014 at 1:53 AM Post #3 of 5
Bump! 

I'm in the exact same situation as OP. I have a Galaxy S3 and I'm going to upgrade to either the M8 or the Z2. Which has better sound? I'm particularity concerned with volume as I'll be listening to music with my ATH-M50's which need a bit of power to drive them. I had to install a custom kernel to make my S3 loud enough. I'm hoping the m8 or z2 with have sufficient volume and clarity with stock firmware.

Jun 2, 2014 at 3:10 AM Post #4 of 5

I'm particularity concerned with volume as I'll be listening to music with my ATH-M50's which need a bit of power to drive them. I had to install a custom kernel to make my S3 loud enough. I'm hoping the m8 or z2 with have sufficient volume and clarity with stock firmware.

If you need output, only m8 and iphone is worth getting. Scroll down to audio output and you'll see the comparisons - 
http://www.phonearena.com/reviews/Sony-Xperia-Z2-Review_id3695/page/3

It's benchmarked against the iphone 5s so the output for the 5s is 1. Z1/2 only pumps out 30% of what the iphone does, which I agree as I use to have the z1. Sound was decent but the output was just a joke

Jun 2, 2014 at 10:20 PM Post #5 of 5

If you need output, only m8 and iphone is worth getting. Scroll down to audio output and you'll see the comparisons - 
http://www.phonearena.com/reviews/Sony-Xperia-Z2-Review_id3695/page/3

It's benchmarked against the iphone 5s so the output for the 5s is 1. Z1/2 only pumps out 30% of what the iphone does, which I agree as I use to have the z1. Sound was decent but the output was just a joke

Thanks for replying. I'm disappointed, I was leaning toward the Z2 because of the extra ram, waterproofing, and 20mp camera.  Is the output limitation due to hardware or software? If it's the latter, has anyone released custom firmware that boosts the volume? I know I said I'd like to get get good output on stock but If it were available straight away I might consider it. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back