Sony Xperia Z1 Compact
Jan 30, 2014 at 7:18 PM Post #16 of 112
Yeah, their audio reviews have always been pretty suspect. I'll be using it predominantly via USB audio in any case, so don't particularly care about HP out (and when not via USB audio, it'll be via Apt-X bluetooth to my Loewe Speaker 2go).

Jan 30, 2014 at 7:33 PM Post #17 of 112
Its probably the only part of their reviews i dont pay much attention to :p

Not sure if id use this as my primary player via HP out or if I'll pick up a F886. I do use spotify a bit so having a 3/4g connection would come in handy.

Clove has it pegged for Feb 5 release. Trying to decide out of black or white. But the lime one is very, um, 'intriguing'.

Really miss being able to use my phone with one hand so very good chance I'll be selling my nexus 5.

Jan 30, 2014 at 8:22 PM Post #18 of 112
Its probably the only part of their reviews i dont pay much attention to
tongue.gif

Not sure if id use this as my primary player via HP out or if I'll pick up a F886. I do use spotify a bit so having a 3/4g connection would come in handy.

Clove has it pegged for Feb 5 release. Trying to decide out of black or white. But the lime one is very, um, 'intriguing'.

Really miss being able to use my phone with one hand so very good chance I'll be selling my nexus 5.

Getting an external DAC/amp makes more sense to me, particularly since you can use it with services like Spotify and your choice of music player. Also means a one-off investment going forward, being able to be used with future smartphones too. To each their own though, and I can see how some people prefer a standalone DAP.

FWIW the phone is already on sale in Austria/Germany, that's where mine is shipping from.

Feb 5, 2014 at 2:14 PM Post #19 of 112
Im dying for some Audio impressions of this phone. I want to know about its sound quality and no reviews show me any content.

GSMARENA is the only place i could get something, but you guys said that is suspect..

I want this phone so bad, but it has to have good audio scores, i care a lot about music. I used to listen to music on my iDevices, like iphone and ipod touch.. Can z1 compact match these?

Shed a light guys!

Feb 5, 2014 at 2:26 PM Post #21 of 112
  where do you live? is there not a online place you can buy from and return the z1c if not to your liking?

Im brazilian. Its not released here yet, prolly in the next weeks.

I would do that, but its impossible right now.. so Id like to read some user impressions before buying

What can you guys tell me about it? This is the only topic i found, lets discuss it!

Feb 5, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #22 of 112
Still awaiting mine, it shipped Monday apparently.

Feb 5, 2014 at 4:00 PM Post #23 of 112
  Im brazilian. Its not released here yet, prolly in the next weeks.

I would do that, but its impossible right now.. so Id like to read some user impressions before buying

What can you guys tell me about it? This is the only topic i found, lets discuss it!

OK here's my first impressions, based on a few hours of listening. I've been listening to a range of rock and pop and a bit of classical. Most of the music is MP3 at either 256 or 320, stored on a micro sd card. I've used the Walkman built in player without any enhancements, so it's pretty much straight out of the box stuff.

Take one, Ultrasone Signature Pro.

These headphones are full sized but seem to be regarded as easy to drive, but even so I had to set the volume at maximum or a fraction below to get a decent sound, so anything harder to drive will be a no no unamped. 

Very detailed, nice spacious sound, everything feels very clear. Brass is good and crisp without being too harsh and bass drums have some decent depth which feels just about right on Fanfare for the Common Man. Male vocals sound rich, works nicely for both Meatloaf and the Righteous Brother, for example. Most of my female vocal collection is not accessible at the moment (it's hi res and sitting on my DX100) but Joni Mitchell sounds sweet enough (Hissing of Summer Lawns) and Dusty in Memphis, hits the spot...

conclusion on sig pros - good sound but not a lot of headroom on the power front.

Take two, Bose AE2w wireless.

These are bluetooth based headphones and designed with mobile music in mind. Same conditions, same tracks, almost the same conclusions except that the power and volume levels are fine and the quality is not quite as high.

For both headphones the Z1C is, to my ears, significantly better than my Galaxy S4, which was better than the S2 and S3.

Feb 5, 2014 at 4:04 PM Post #24 of 112
Thanks for the feedback!

Are you able to see if the settings for 24-bit USB audio output are present? Screenshots from the Z1 4.4 update reveal they are coming, wondering if they got them into the Compact before it started shipping?

Also, which S3 version are you referring to? Exynos international version, or Snapdragon US version?

Feb 5, 2014 at 4:11 PM Post #25 of 112
Thanks for the feedback!

Are you able to see if the settings for 24-bit USB audio output are present? Screenshots from the Z1 4.4 update reveal they are coming, wondering if they got them into the Compact before it started shipping?

Also, which S3 version are you referring to? Exynos international version, or Snapdragon US version?

I have my HiFi M8 setup with me so I can give it a go

Feb 5, 2014 at 4:14 PM Post #26 of 112

Oh, it'll definitely have USB audio output, but it'll be limited to 16-bit (unless you use the app USB Audio Player PRO, which can output up to 32-bit). In settings (under sound, I presume) there may be an option to output to external DACs at 24-bit, I know its coming in the 4.4 update for the Z1 but wonder if it is already in the firmware for the Compact.

Feb 5, 2014 at 4:31 PM Post #27 of 112

Oh, it'll definitely have USB audio output, but it'll be limited to 16-bit (unless you use the app USB Audio Player PRO, which can output up to 32-bit). In settings (under sound, I presume) there may be an option to output to external DACs at 24-bit, I know its coming in the 4.4 update for the Z1 but wonder if it is already in the firmware for the Compact.

I'm using USB Audio Player Pro, I can't find anything obvious in the sound settings...

The sig pros sound great out of the M8 though!

Feb 5, 2014 at 4:50 PM Post #28 of 112
I'm using USB Audio Player Pro, I can't find anything obvious in the sound settings...

Thanks for that, I'll guess we'll be waiting for the incoming 4.4 update to supply those settings.

I bet they sound good on that setup!

Feb 5, 2014 at 4:56 PM Post #29 of 112

Thanks for that, I'll guess we'll be waiting for the incoming 4.4 update to supply those settings.

I bet they sound good on that setup!

I wish I hadn't don't it though, the Z1C sounds very thin unamped after the M8  
triportsad.gif

Feb 5, 2014 at 5:11 PM Post #30 of 112

Users who are viewing this thread

Back