Sony Xperia 1 Impression Thread
Apr 5, 2021 at 5:53 PM Post #121 of 367
Hi guys! I'm thinking about buying Xperia 1 II, but could you tell me if it's possible to adjust the volume in each channel independently? I have partial hearing loss in my right ear, so I need the left channel to play quieter than the right one. Cheers!

Apr 5, 2021 at 10:06 PM Post #122 of 367
Hi guys! I'm thinking about buying Xperia 1 II, but could you tell me if it's possible to adjust the volume in each channel independently? I have partial hearing loss in my right ear, so I need the left channel to play quieter than the right one. Cheers!
You can adjust stereo L&R balance in android Accessiblity

Apr 6, 2021 at 3:11 AM Post #123 of 367
Wait...the Sony Xperia 1 iii (3) is due out very soon and is a major upgrade.

Apr 6, 2021 at 12:24 PM Post #125 of 367
I've seen some mentions about the UAPP. Do I need to use it with Xperia when I stream music from Tidal?
If you want MQA, for the majority of Android phones, you have to use a version of Tidal that initiates from within UAPP. You have to buy UAPP and buy the MQA add on from within UAPP. It sounds complex but it's not and it is the way to get Tidal MQA through Android. But you don't have to use UAPP if you are happy to forego MQA and just use the native Tidal App. It still sounds great.

Apr 6, 2021 at 12:27 PM Post #126 of 367
If you want MQA, for the majority of Android phones, you have to use a version of Tidal that initiates from within UAPP. You have to buy UAPP and buy the MQA add on from within UAPP. It sounds complex but it's not and it is the way to get Tidal MQA through Android. But you don't have to use UAPP if you are happy to forego MQA and just use the native Tidal App. It still sounds great.
What if I only use HIFI Tidal, not MQA? HIFI option is one stage below MQA in Tidal options, and I've heard it might sound better than MQA

Apr 6, 2021 at 1:17 PM Post #127 of 367
What if I only use HIFI Tidal, not MQA? HIFI option is one stage below MQA in Tidal options, and I've heard it might sound better than MQA
I had Tidal for 3 months on my Samsung S9 plus. I was using the iFi hip-dac as DAC/Amp and to get the Magenta MQA light on I had to use UAPP. At the time I thought MQA sounded a little better but using Tidal without UAPP sounded fine in HiFi quality. Now I've got the Sony Xperia 5ii I'm using Amazon HD, and as you know the new Sony Xperia phones have top notch sound. In effect I don't need a DAC/Amp for my Sony and it's good enough straight through the 3.5mm jack with decent IEMs or headphones. So I think that Tidal + Sony Xperia 1ii or 5ii is fine without MQA.

Apr 6, 2021 at 1:22 PM Post #128 of 367
I had Tidal for 3 months on my Samsung S9 plus. I was using the iFi hip-dac as DAC/Amp and to get the Magenta MQA light on I had to use UAPP. At the time I thought MQA sounded a little better but using Tidal without UAPP sounded fine in HiFi quality. Now I've got the Sony Xperia 5ii I'm using Amazon HD, and as you know the new Sony Xperia phones have top notch sound. In effect I don't need a DAC/Amp for my Sony and it's good enough straight through the 3.5mm jack with decent IEMs or headphones. So I think that Tidal + Sony Xperia 1ii or 5ii is fine without MQA.
Glad to know it. Well, my iems are EE Legend X, so I hope Xperia will be able to tame them :D

Apr 13, 2021 at 7:42 AM Post #130 of 367
Quick Update regarding MQA on Xperia 1/5 II:

It does MQA straight out of the Tidal app, when paired with a compatible MQA renderer DAC - there is no Android "upsampling to 48khz" as in other devices - as long as you keep volume at 100% on the Xperia.

The issue is you need a DAC with indepdendent volume control. I just tested it with the iFi hip-dac and the xDSD. If you play a Masters song through TIDAL, as long as you keep the Xperia's volume to the max (as you should anyway), the LEDs on the DACs indicate MQA (purple). There is even a switch (which interrupts the music for a split second) when you go from 99% to 100% volume on the Xperia (and the LED at that point switches from regular green to purple MQA) - that is because the Xperia switches to bit-perfect volume at 100% (since it's a digital volume).

The caveat is that, of course, if you use an MQA DAC with no volume adjustment that relies on the digital volume of the Xperia (like a Dragonfly), it won't switch to MQA unless you go full volume - but that's not useful at all unless you have very tough to drive headphones or want to blow up both your eardrums and the headphones/iems :). But then again, why would you want the slight improvement MQA does when you are using a device with digital volume, that generally loses around 2 bits unless it's cranked up to the max ("bit perfect" mode).

I did NOT try this on other Android devices. On Xperia, through TIDAL app, as long as you keep the volume at max (and therefore need to use a usb DAC with it's own volume control), it 100% goes into MQA mode - no need for UAPP.

I also have a -slight- feeling that the Xperia does MQA on it's own (even though Sony never mentioned it). The only way I was able to tell, is that on "Masters" songs in Tidal, the "Dsee Ultimate" upscaling tech does not engage -this can be easily tested by enabling and disabling it while playing a Masters song - nothing happens. When you activate it on a "hifi" song, you'll hear the music interrupt for a split second and you can also hear a slight increase in dynamics and airiness.
This tells me that the Xperia recognizes Masters songs and does not alter them - probably because it unfolds them, I presume.

Even though the Xperia documentation says nothing about MQA, it would kind-of make sense for it to render MQA, considering all of Sony's Android-based Walkman DAPs do it natively through the Tidal app in Android.

Apr 15, 2021 at 9:50 AM Post #131 of 367
the Mk3 just announced yesterday and they have the exact same look

Just bigger battery, better telephoto camera, louder speaker, higher refresh rate & brighter display, faster included 30W battery charger, stock RAM start at 12GB with 256GB ROM, and Corning Victus which is IMO the best Gorilla Glass yet, I have seen it survives drops better and also not cracking even when the phone itself is bend in half (Asus ROG 5&others)

Also I'm hearing that like LDAC, Sony is in talk to bake 360 audio into Android.
Real Talk: who uses their MDR Z7, or other premium fullsize closed backs for that matter, Outdoors?

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2021 at 10:04 AM Post #132 of 367
the Mk3 just announced yesterday and they have the exact same look

Just bigger battery, better telephoto camera, louder speaker, higher refresh rate & brightness display, faster included 30W battery charger, stock RAM start at 12GB with 256gb ROM, and Corning Victus which is IMO the best Gorilla Glass yet, I have seen it survives drops better and also not racking even when the phone itself is bend in half (Asus ROG 5, etc)

Also I'm hearing that like LDAC, Sony will bake 360 audio to android, heard somewhere on talks with Google.

Will make a great phone even greater. I have the Xperia 5ii, so I won't be upgrading for over a year, but in terms of audio the 5ii is superb. Although it does not have the quad-dac or volume of the LG phones (I have an LG too) the Sony has a better all round sound from the 3.5 jack. In fact, barring volume, the Sony Xperia 5ii sound as good as my HiBy R5, and that is some feat for a phone. If the Xperia 1iii and 5iii can improve the sound quality then that is some feat too. Sony are an amazing company.

Apr 15, 2021 at 10:06 AM Post #133 of 367
Will make a great phone even greater. I have the Xperia 5ii, so I won't be upgrading for over a year, but in terms of audio the 5ii is superb. Although it does not have the quad-dac or volume of the LG phones (I have an LG too) the Sony has a better all round sound from the 3.5 jack. In fact, barring volume, the Sony Xperia 5ii sound as good as my HiBy R5, and that is some feat for a phone. If the Xperia 1iii and 5iii can improve the sound quality then that is some feat too. Sony are an amazing company.
Xperia has much more power through UAPP

Apr 15, 2021 at 10:14 AM Post #134 of 367
how did your Legend X fares with the 1mk2?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back