Sony Xperia 1 Impression Thread
Nov 7, 2021 at 5:54 AM Post #211 of 368
This is good to know, along with the replies. A few of my headphones are going to be beyond the Xperia's output, like the planars, but if the output quality is on a par or better than an LG V30, then that is a huge tick.

Now it's just choices: Green or purple Xperia 1 III (green is only 256Gb where I am. 512Gb is nice to have), Xperia 1 III or Xperia 5 III and Xperia 1 III or Xperia Pro I?
Imo, the quality of sound out of the 1iii is on par with the V30, but it has a different tonality.

The Sony adds a touch of warmth, which makes headphones/ iems with a brighter top-end more pleasant.
The V30 is just straight neutral in that sense. :)

I wouldn't mess with the internal storage space, put a 1TB card in and you're done. :)

Nov 7, 2021 at 7:51 AM Post #213 of 368
Hmmm overheat issues since last update.
Was going to gain performance, but it gets hot.

Just by playing a free poker game..
That's one thing I don't really do, mobile gaming on phones. I did read about some thermal throttling but not had any yet.

Nov 7, 2021 at 11:18 AM Post #215 of 368
If the outside is getting hot, it means the phone is efficient at getting the heat out. I know it is unnerving, but it is better than theottling or shut downs.
Yes probably, but it runned cool before the update... Maybe the performance is better but it runs hotter.

I don't play crazy advanced games, just Sim city, puzzles and free poker Holdem.

Nov 7, 2021 at 4:05 PM Post #216 of 368
The volume output of the 1ii and 5ii is appalling. Any headphones can't be driven properly, even portable ones like p7/momentum. Absolute joke tbh, for audio an LG phone is more appropriate.
I'm at ~60% volume with my K10U IEM's so I don't think it's a good choice for headphone users. It does seem to have more volume than an EU/UK Sony A107 DAP and easily as good as that. Of course, drives my SE846 even easier and LDAC Best Quality with my BTR5 is still best BT audio I've heard with my IEM's with 2.5mm balanced cable.

I use my K10U wired at home and my SE846/BTR5 with phone when out and about.

Xperia 1 MK3 keeps LDAC Best setting easily and reliably unlike having to force in developer options on Samsung S10+

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2021 at 4:30 PM Post #217 of 368
I'm at ~60% volume with my K10U IEM's so I don't think it's a good choice for headphone users. It does seem to have more volume than an EU/UK Sony A107 DAP and easily as good as that. Of course, drives my SE846 even easier and LDAC Best Quality with my BTR5 is still best BT audio I've heard with my IEM's with 2.5mm balanced cable.

I use my K10U wired at home and my SE846/BTR5 with phone when out and about.

Xperia 1 MK3 keeps LDAC Best setting easily and reliably unlike having to force in developer options on Samsung S10+
Im very dissapointed tbh, even my iPhone with a apple dongle DAC has far far more power, 30% if I could estimate it.

With Sony’s pedigree in DAPs I think its a bit of a joke theyve launched one of the most underpowered 3.5mm headphone jacks on any smartphone. The 2016 iPhone SE I use for runs has more output power from 3.5mm lol…

It does sound good, but nowhere near a dragonfly or wm1a imo.

Nov 7, 2021 at 6:10 PM Post #218 of 368
Im very dissapointed tbh, even my iPhone with a apple dongle DAC has far far more power, 30% if I could estimate it.

With Sony’s pedigree in DAPs I think its a bit of a joke theyve launched one of the most underpowered 3.5mm headphone jacks on any smartphone. The 2016 iPhone SE I use for runs has more output power from 3.5mm lol…

I think it is European safety that causes the low output on Sony phones. The EU insists on a maximum acoustic SPL level on any product shipped with headphones. So many manufacturers lower the output on their European models, including Apple. An iPhone in Europe will have around the same output as Sony. Sony just seems to do it globally.

Nov 7, 2021 at 6:33 PM Post #219 of 368
I think it is European safety that causes the low output on Sony phones. The EU insists on a maximum acoustic SPL level on any product shipped with headphones. So many manufacturers lower the output on their European models, including Apple. An iPhone in Europe will have around the same output as Sony. Sony just seems to do it globally.
Not so sure about this, I have a European iPhone SE and 11, both output far higher volume than my 1ii, ive tested it side by side. All are bought here in the UK.

The iPhones have no issues driving momentums/P7 portable headphones. The Sony struggles bigtime. Very dissapointing.

I think Sony caps EU devices yes, I bought their Zx507 and noticed it was similarly underpowered and useless lol

Nov 7, 2021 at 7:06 PM Post #220 of 368

I've had Red and Cobalt Dragonfly and I'm preferring what I hear out of the Xperia. Power aside, I find it as good if not better than A107 or ZX507 or BTR5 over 3.5mm. I do prefer Sony sound Sig.

Not quite to ZX507 over balanced and using silver cable, but close enough for my ears.

Fully agree, it's not going to have power to drive much more than IEM's wired, but then I knew that when I bought it. I will keep and use the BTR5 with it if I ever need to drive anything harder.

Even Spotify sounds great on it!

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2021 at 7:14 PM Post #221 of 368
Not so sure about this, I have a European iPhone SE and 11, both output far higher volume than my 1ii, ive tested it side by side. All are bought here in the UK.

The iPhones have no issues driving momentums/P7 portable headphones. The Sony struggles bigtime. Very dissapointing.

I think Sony caps EU devices yes, I bought their Zx507 and noticed it was similarly underpowered and useless lol
I imported both A107 and ZX507 from Japan so no cap issue. The Xperia is not as volume capped as the EU versions of those which I also tried before sending back and importing.

Nov 7, 2021 at 7:16 PM Post #222 of 368
I've had Red and Cobalt Dragonfly and I'm preferring what I hear out of the Xperia.
I can see why, the Sony sound signature is great. Honestly if theyd just bothered to give it a chunk more power itd make most Daps irrelevant. Mind boggling move from Sony tbh.

Nov 7, 2021 at 7:21 PM Post #223 of 368
I can see why, the Sony sound signature is great. Honestly if theyd just bothered to give it a chunk more power itd make most Daps irrelevant. Mind boggling move from Sony tbh.
It's certainly not for everyone if you have demanding power needs. Perfect for my easy to drive SE846 & K10U though. Yes, iPhones and V30 can drive harder kit. V30 had no issue when I had some Sen HD660S.

Nov 7, 2021 at 7:23 PM Post #224 of 368
I find my BTR5 wired better than DF Red or Cobalt.

Hugo2 was best ever except too much background noise with my sensitive IEM's and more suited to headphones. Xperia is dead silent noise floor.

Nov 7, 2021 at 7:24 PM Post #225 of 368
I've had Red and Cobalt Dragonfly and I'm preferring what I hear out of the Xperia. Power aside, I find it as good if not better than A107 or ZX507 or BTR5 over 3.5mm. I do prefer Sony sound Sig.

Not quite to ZX507 over balanced and using silver cable, but close enough for my ears.

Fully agree, it's not going to have power to drive much more than IEM's wired, but then I knew that when I bought it. I will keep and can use the BTR5 with it is I ever need to drive anything harder.

Even Spotify sounds great on it!
I use the Xperia 5ii. There is no doubt it could do with a little more power, but.....I have over 40 IEM's and, although on just a few I have to turn the volume up near the top, nearly every IEM I have sounds great on the Sony 5ii and I get the volume I need. My old Samsung S9+ had a little more volume, but the Sony has a way better quality of sound. Bluetooth with my Sony Headphones is excellent even at the highest bitrate, high sound quality LDAC. It's nice and slim and pocketable too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back