Sony Xperia 1 Impression Thread
Oct 18, 2021 at 2:25 PM Post #181 of 368
You can turn off the 120Hz feature to save battery. No idea how much of an impact that has, though.
Yes But I dont notice a big "noticable" difference, so I just let it stay on all the time..

The Battery lasts a day with regular use, but it varys, Its not a battery monster like Realme, Huawei and Samsung... But its ok.
But The Xperia 1 first edition with 4k I dont know how they made it work. The battery on Xperia 5 was too small, so what the 1 did do with the small just a couple of 100mamph larger battery I have no idea how it could work....

The new iii series have both the same big battery tho...

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2021 at 12:22 PM Post #182 of 368
Got the Sony MDR-1AM2 for rainy and snowy days... I like the build and sound, not to much base and I like the treble and resolution..

Nice 2 silvercoated solid cables also, 1 with mic, Google Home button, answer hang up, play pause and Shuffle.

No volume control tho.
A plus is the Pentaconn 4.4 "jack" balanced silvered copper cable, it fits my ifI Zen DAC! So now I get balanced.. Thats a cable Sennheiser dont have/offer, even if it supports balanced.

cudos to Sony.

Very nice match with Sony Xperia 1iii.

Must add very good match balanced with Sony Mdr-1AM2 from iFI Zen DAC, better than the Sennheiser in fact.
16346604527422942385230143028542.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2021 at 1:37 PM Post #183 of 368
Reminds me to pull out the PM-3 for upcoming walks. :)
Curious how well the 1iii can handle them.

Oct 26, 2021 at 2:13 AM Post #188 of 368
It's rumours about a big Xperia launch in a few days, secretly by Sony on YouTube.

I Wonder what they are up to now...
It's an RX100 sensor in smartphone body, now its Xperia Pro-I. Sony with their names, but i guess they intend to keep going with the Pro and non Pro differentiator, it offers nothing from Xperia 1 line other than Camera upgrades

Oct 27, 2021 at 9:58 PM Post #191 of 368
If you read the more detailed previews like on dpreview.com and gsmareana.com, you will see that the 1.0 sensor is cropped down to a 1/1.33 size of usable sensor in photography. Hopefully they fully use the flexibility this offers to have better use of the sensor for different aspect ratios, like the Panasonic cameras sometimes do. But even so, it is misleading marketing to say it uses the same sensor as the RX100, as it doesn't (there are hardware differences too.)

I really fancy this phone, despite the dubious marketing of the 1.0 sensor. One issue may be that while there is a hack to increase the Xperia 1III headphone's puny output (Sony usually limit to 0.3Vrms globally, when most like Apple only limit to this is Europe), it is less likely this hack will become available to the Pro I.

Oct 27, 2021 at 11:26 PM Post #192 of 368
If you read the more detailed previews like on dpreview.com and gsmareana.com, you will see that the 1.0 sensor is cropped down to a 1/1.33 size of usable sensor in photography. Hopefully they fully use the flexibility this offers to have better use of the sensor for different aspect ratios, like the Panasonic cameras sometimes do. But even so, it is misleading marketing to say it uses the same sensor as the RX100, as it doesn't (there are hardware differences too.)

I really fancy this phone, despite the dubious marketing of the 1.0 sensor. One issue may be that while there is a hack to increase the Xperia 1III headphone's puny output (Sony usually limit to 0.3Vrms globally, when most like Apple only limit to this is Europe), it is less likely this hack will become available to the Pro I.

I'm think Sony is using the extra space on the larger sensor to capture more light; better low-light performance. They also scaled it down to 12 megapixels to match the other cameras as they've done with all their recent phones to maintain scale while "zooming" in/out. Using all 20 megapixels of the larger sensor would also require changing the other cameras to 20MP.

Oct 28, 2021 at 12:52 AM Post #193 of 368
and well of course also to make it barely be thicker than normal phone. if Sony wants to make use of all the sensor, they probably have to make it have as big of a hump as 1020 Pureview. If you want to use it as your daily and not be thought of other people as the "goofy guy with Geeky camera smartphone", its a design decision they choose to take.
its still a 1 inch sensor and they all ask everyone doing the release video to call it 1.0 type sensor, like the old 1" tube days. it still have the pixel pitch of a 1",tho I agree that they should've allowed it to make use of more of the available surface area with varying aspect Ratios.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2021 at 1:38 AM Post #194 of 368
I'm think Sony is using the extra space on the larger sensor to capture more light; better low-light performance. They also scaled it down to 12 megapixels to match the other cameras as they've done with all their recent phones to maintain scale while "zooming" in/out. Using all 20 megapixels of the larger sensor would also require changing the other cameras to 20MP.
Perhaps you misunderstood: The extra space is dark. The lens does not cover the entire sensor, because to do that would make the lens need to stick out more than they wanted. It is effectively a 1/1.33 12Mp sensor. Better than many on paper, but not the biggest or best, or as groundbreaking as the lies marketing guys want you to believe.

Most of the best cameras on phones have different resolutions on each sensor: 50Mp on the main one, 32 or 16Mp on the wide, and 12 or 8Mp on hte telephoto. If you haven't seen these, it may be because they have limited markets, like Huawei, Vivo and Xiaomi. Several of these have around 50Mp 1/1.33 sensors or bigger than the Xperia Pro I, often pixel binning down to 12Mp , with much of the light gathering of the Pro I. Usually with much more initially impressive night modes than any Sony, including it seems this one.

However I like that the Xperias have less artificial contrast and colour saturation. They leave that to you. This is a far better desision if you want to appeal to photography enthusiasts, and this is where it wins.

Of course what we care about here is the audio. It has a probably good headphone output, which MUST be commended, and a mircoSD slot for those of us with large lossless libraries. Wonderful.

Oct 28, 2021 at 6:54 AM Post #195 of 368
Perhaps you misunderstood: The extra space is dark. The lens does not cover the entire sensor, because to do that would make the lens need to stick out more than they wanted. It is effectively a 1/1.33 12Mp sensor. Better than many on paper, but not the biggest or best, or as groundbreaking as the lies marketing guys want you to believe.

Most of the best cameras on phones have different resolutions on each sensor: 50Mp on the main one, 32 or 16Mp on the wide, and 12 or 8Mp on hte telephoto. If you haven't seen these, it may be because they have limited markets, like Huawei, Vivo and Xiaomi. Several of these have around 50Mp 1/1.33 sensors or bigger than the Xperia Pro I, often pixel binning down to 12Mp , with much of the light gathering of the Pro I. Usually with much more initially impressive night modes than any Sony, including it seems this one.

However I like that the Xperias have less artificial contrast and colour saturation. They leave that to you. This is a far better desision if you want to appeal to photography enthusiasts, and this is where it wins.

Of course what we care about here is the audio. It has a probably good headphone output, which MUST be commended, and a mircoSD slot for those of us with large lossless libraries. Wonderful.
That the Xperia don't focus on "Night mode" is because it's totally against their philosophy.

Samsung nightmode with pink mylittlepony sky in the middle of the night looks horrible.

Sony instead has settings that you can adjust to get descent night photos, but without the pink pony sky.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back