Sony XBA-Z5 + Hifiman HM-901 + Balanced Card + 3.5mm four ring plug > 3.5mm three ring jack converter = BLISS!
Feb 3, 2015 at 3:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

yanfeng

100+ Head-Fier
I am recently in love with Sony XBA-Z5. I really like its high definition, transparent and lively sound. I also experienced PHA-3 amp in Sony store many times, and I do find Z5 truely shines in balanced mode. But I have to give up PHA-3 because it's way too clumsy. It so happens that I have a Hifiman HM-901 with balanced amp card that I also love so much, but the balanced jack of 901's balanced card is for 3.5mm four ring plug, and Z5 uses two 3.5mm three ring plug for balanced mode. Fortunately I have a friend who is a master of electronic DIY works, and she is a beautiful lady! In our local headphone forum we all called her "Queen". She is really a helper.

Well I reveived the cable from the Queen, and Oh my.....it's a piece of art! I eagerly inserted all the plugs, and I should say I have never heard a better sound in such a portable rig. I have expected it to be good, but I haven't expected to be that good. I will cut the cliche and simply say the sound is young, quick, vigorous, transparent, emotional, and full of details. I mainly listen to classical music. Karajan's Beethoven 9th symphony recorded in the 60's now sounds like a recording of the 21th century out of HD recording equipment, full of textures and silk smooth.

I A/Bed with Hifiman's RE600, which is also a favourite of mine. I sold my K3003 after hearing RE600. Considering the price difference, some of my friends just can't understand why I did that. To be fair K3003 is an excellent earphone. It is crystal clear, as clear as water. Well it's a bit too close to water. There is an old Chinese saying "If the water is too clear, there will be no fish". K3003 is just like a super clear spring of water of no fish. You marvel at its clarity, and then get bored. RE600 is the opposite of K3003. It's not as transparent, but it has more "fish" in it. It's warm, thick, powerful, and full of details. Now, with balanced Z5 coupled with balanced HM-901, I seem to have the better of both: the transparency of K3003, and the warmth and vitality of RE600. It's like an impossible dream fulfilled.

I remember the day when I was a school boy and made a radio out of a piece of crystal mine. Yes a piece of crystal mine. What great progress we have made since then! And I am truely thankful we are living in such a wonderful world of wonderful technology. 

Feb 3, 2015 at 8:57 AM Post #6 of 13
etysmile.gif
 Looks like hell of a deal at their price! 

Apr 15, 2015 at 3:03 AM Post #13 of 13
Professor, I see you use the stock balanced cable, have you tried  the sony-recommended MUC-M20BL1 cable? If so, is it a significant upgrade? Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back