Sony XBA-N3AP and XBA-N1AP — Impressions thread
Jun 18, 2020 at 4:04 PM Post #1,726 of 2,314
Stock cable is pretty poor in terms of confort and microphonic. You will find an upgrade pretty easily. Quite pricy, but high quality is the MUC-M12SM2 cable. I like it very much!

damn that's expensive for a cable! :) yeah I've been looking at possible replacements, but hard to find something decent and inexpensive that is lightweight and has no memory wire and no volume control. and is black :)

this seems interesting tough: https://www.meeaudio.com/CABLE-MMCX-BK/

any other suggestions I'm all ears!

Jun 18, 2020 at 5:10 PM Post #1,727 of 2,314
damn that's expensive for a cable! :) yeah I've been looking at possible replacements, but hard to find something decent and inexpensive that is lightweight and has no memory wire and no volume control. and is black :)

https://penonaudio.com/accessories/earphone-cable/fiio-lc-2.5b-lc-3.5b-lc-4.4b.html

https://penonaudio.com/mmcx-silver-plated-replacement-cable.html

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2020 at 12:10 AM Post #1,728 of 2,314

I have MUC-M12SM2 and not using it for now as it is too heavy to be used while walking, I used it over the ear to solve the issue but sound change when I use the iem that way. But it improves the sound and good when use while stationary.

Jun 20, 2020 at 7:38 AM Post #1,729 of 2,314

hmm the FIIO seems to have memory cable and the other one is not right angled. but maybe I'll contact Penon audio to ask for advice, they seem to have nice stuff. And I just onticed while browsing that they offer the Spiral Dots to be bought together in several sizes! Nice!

I have MUC-M12SM2 and not using it for now as it is too heavy to be used while walking, I used it over the ear to solve the issue but sound change when I use the iem that way. But it improves the sound and good when use while stationary.

Thanks for the tip! What are you using at the moment when walking?

Jun 20, 2020 at 12:23 PM Post #1,730 of 2,314
hmm the FIIO seems to have memory cable and the other one is not right angled. but maybe I'll contact Penon audio to ask for advice, they seem to have nice stuff. And I just onticed while browsing that they offer the Spiral Dots to be bought together in several sizes! Nice!

Thanks for the tip! What are you using at the moment when walking?
Back to stock.

Jun 26, 2020 at 6:30 PM Post #1,731 of 2,314
I think from your posts around this time you were using your N3 w/Kimber cable down, have you tried over ear?

Jun 26, 2020 at 10:32 PM Post #1,732 of 2,314
I think from your posts around this time you were using your N3 w/Kimber cable down, have you tried over ear?

I’ve never tried the N3 over ear. The kimber is back on the N3 so I’ll give it a try now :)

Jun 26, 2020 at 10:41 PM Post #1,733 of 2,314
it’s quite comfortable over-ear. The weight of the kimber cable is now a non-issue :)

Jun 27, 2020 at 3:33 AM Post #1,734 of 2,314
it’s quite comfortable over-ear. The weight of the kimber cable is now a non-issue :)
Thank you.
After replacing the Z5 I also got the N3 as a knock around pair for tablet and phone use, which also compensated for the Sony sound I was missing. As I've mentioned before I am considering the Z5 again as I feel it would go nicely with my WM1A, but as I already have the N3 I thought going balanced with a Kimber cable might suffice but I think I'll always know the Z5 is better in every way (but fit).

Jun 30, 2020 at 12:00 AM Post #1,735 of 2,314
Thank you.
After replacing the Z5 I also got the N3 as a knock around pair for tablet and phone use, which also compensated for the Sony sound I was missing. As I've mentioned before I am considering the Z5 again as I feel it would go nicely with my WM1A, but as I already have the N3 I thought going balanced with a Kimber cable might suffice but I think I'll always know the Z5 is better in every way (but fit).

Totally agree with you. I’ve used the Z5’s but one crapped out because I’d constantly swap between the balanced and the single ended cables. A big mistake as most know by now. I’ve got the N3’s to hold me over until I could,get a valid replacement. The N3’s turned out better than expected with the upgraded kimber cable. But since the Z5’s are now cheaper I was longing for them or possibly save up for the M9’s or the 1zr”s. The issue with the M9’s is that I fear I’ll miss the dd with m9’s being ba armature. Ier 1zr’s sounds like the endgame but if they fit as finicky as everyone says that may be a costly mistake.

Jun 30, 2020 at 12:18 AM Post #1,736 of 2,314
Totally agree with you. I’ve used the Z5’s but one crapped out because I’d constantly swap between the balanced and the single ended cables. A big mistake as most know by now. I’ve got the N3’s to hold me over until I could,get a valid replacement. The N3’s turned out better than expected with the upgraded kimber cable. But since the Z5’s are now cheaper I was longing for them or possibly save up for the M9’s or the 1zr”s. The issue with the M9’s is that I fear I’ll miss the dd with m9’s being ba armature. Ier 1zr’s sounds like the endgame but if they fit as finicky as everyone says that may be a costly mistake.
EXACTLY my situation. Let me know what which way you go - the M9 are getting alot of respect, but those hybrid dynamic Z5 just sound so right.

Jun 30, 2020 at 12:27 AM Post #1,737 of 2,314
EXACTLY my situation. Let me know what which way you go - the M9 are getting alot of respect, but those hybrid dynamic Z5 just sound so right.

Even though I’m in nyc with all the pandemics going around I doubt there’s a way to audition at the Sony store. Damn it man, what to do! I feel like if I rebuy the z5’s put them on one good balanced cable and only use them indoors I’d get close enough to M9’s for half the price? I’ve been mulling this in my spare time for weeks now.

Jun 30, 2020 at 12:31 AM Post #1,738 of 2,314

Hearing the Z5”s powered through pha 3 the first time I’ve honestly thought was the end game for me. Until comfort and durability issues reared their ugly heads.

Jun 30, 2020 at 2:15 AM Post #1,740 of 2,314
Can one of you provide a comparison between the N3 and Z5? I own and am happy with the N3 but curious (aren’t we all!) about the upgrade path.

If given enough juice, they do everything a little better. Deeper bass, better highs, better soundstage. For regular sources the N3’s are far less demanding. Z5’s sound dark if not driven from a nice balanced source. But if driven properly and you have a good seal they sound heavenly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back