Sony XBA-N3AP and XBA-N1AP — Impressions thread
Jul 26, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #736 of 2,298
Do you have that problem when you hook it up to a portable device like a phone? If not then the problem is elsewhere. I assume you're using a 1/4" adapter and an extension cable to your receiver. I would check those first and also their routing (next to powerline, etc).

Jul 27, 2017 at 2:16 AM Post #738 of 2,298
After several weeks with them i understand why everyone is happy with N3Ap.

Sound is amazing :)

Jul 27, 2017 at 3:15 AM Post #739 of 2,298
Do you have that problem when you hook it up to a portable device like a phone? If not then the problem is elsewhere. I assume you're using a 1/4" adapter and an extension cable to your receiver. I would check those first and also their routing (next to powerline, etc).

All is good now, thank you. Using my other earphones and the lines are ok. Upon closer look the jack is very slightly bent on the stock N3 cable, which is causing the connection to the adapter to be loose. Sucks as i did not want to spend more money, just hoping it will be better potentially since the custom cable has better specs.

Jul 27, 2017 at 11:31 AM Post #741 of 2,298
All is good now, thank you. Using my other earphones and the lines are ok. Upon closer look the jack is very slightly bent on the stock N3 cable, which is causing the connection to the adapter to be loose. Sucks as i did not want to spend more money, just hoping it will be better potentially since the custom cable has better specs.

Wow, that's pretty surprising as it takes a bit of force to bend the tip but good luck with the new cable.

Jul 27, 2017 at 5:31 PM Post #742 of 2,298
PS5 You said... "I can feel the bass further down my neck than the N3 ever did." Have you ever tried to EQ n3 something like +6db 30hz , +3db 60hz ? The amount of energy the 9mm LCP driver an take it's pretty amazing and I can achieve bass at least as good as my cerwin vega subwoofer or 50mm Yamaha 50mm, we are talking ear rupture levels... The 9mm driver can take 130mw without sweating and when you give it some power , it becomes better than the xb90ex, like an old acoustic lose kick drum vs new tight smaller kick drum. I'm a drummer so I can relate a lot to that example. It's just that the n3 will become unbearable since it's brighter while the z5 you can push push the volume and the bass becomes great until the voices and highs can become unbearable.

I played a 15hz tone and it's so clear and defined on the N3 ... Below 15hz sounds are inaudible... so I can't see how ANY headphone or subwoofer for that matter can go much "further down any neck than the n3 ever did". I understand the 16mm driver can take more energy and thus produce more air but so does my cerwin wega subwoofer which is huge, doesn't mean it produces clearer or more controlled or better 15khz-30hz frequencies, just louder. In fact the n3 is clearer, because it's smaller and can be more controlled.

Finally saw this when I went back to check something on the older messages. When I said I can feel it further down my neck, It's at the same volume level with no EQ (I'm one of those that hate EQing anything). That's why I said felt rather than hear. At the same volume level, the Z5's sub bass have more of a presence. It might be the curve (which you might be able to make up for with EQ) or It's simply the larger diaphragm on the Z5 is moving more air mass at the same volume level. It's just like the 50Hz test tone have more presence from my Velodyne 18" sub vs the Velodyne 15" at the same volume level between my family room and living room home theater setup.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2017 at 8:23 AM Post #744 of 2,298
It seems you truly like it. I think I will let pricing decide. I have a couple of CamelCamelCamel alerts here and there, and if the N3 hits a minimum I might give it a try. I do like the form factor, as I have mostly over-the-ears and sometimes it would be handy to have faster/comfier models.

Well, well, I totally forgot about the N3 for quite some time until this afternoon. Got an alert for the drop to 223 EUR on Amazon Italy, so I'm now tempted to give it a try. It's not a model that I see being worth 300+, but closer to 200... being comfortable, warm and easy to use at work. Hmmm... tempted.

Then again, my MDR-EX1000 are still packaged to return. I wonder if it's simply unwise to give Sony two chances in the same month :)

EDIT: Alright, I ordered them. There are too many things I seem to like about it from the reviews, but also things I probably won't like. They cancel each other to an ambiguous "Gotta hear it to be sure".
Really hope I don't have to return them like the EX1K.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2017 at 9:27 AM Post #745 of 2,298
Well, well, I totally forgot about the N3 for quite some time until this afternoon. Got an alert for the drop to 223 EUR on Amazon Italy, so I'm now tempted to give it a try. It's not a model that I see being worth 300+, but closer to 200... being comfortable, warm and easy to use at work. Hmmm... tempted.

I'd say they're well worth €223 - I paid a bit more than that, buying from a bricks and mortar store as I tend to do, and I'm very happy with them.

Jul 28, 2017 at 9:34 AM Post #746 of 2,298
I'd say they're well worth €223 - I paid a bit more than that, buying from a bricks and mortar store as I tend to do, and I'm very happy with them.

Yeah I don't expect them to be terrible by any means, it's just that I use the Andromeda a lot, so they have to be good, in a different way.
Also, I don't have a single hybrid at the moment, only pure BAs or DDs, so that might be a complement.

And finally a bit of practical side, need something that is not over-the-ear and is much faster to insert/remove, for those days at work when there's more need to talk to people, plus a mic will be handy for some calls now and then (Andromeda has no mic cable).

I didn't like the comments about the N3 being a bit too bassy and a bit too warm, with the midrange a bit recessed, but I do tolerate the MDR-Z1R quite well. If the tuning is similar, it should be fine, not perfect, but fine.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2017 at 10:13 AM Post #747 of 2,298
Yeah I don't expect them to be terrible by any means, it's just that I use the Andromeda a lot, so they have to be good, in a different way.
Also, I don't have a single hybrid at the moment, only pure BAs or DDs, so that might be a complement.

And finally a bit of practical side, need something that is not over-the-ear and is much faster to insert/remove, for those days at work when there's more need to talk to people, plus a mic will be handy for some calls now and then (Andromeda has no mic cable).

I didn't like the comments about the N3 being a bit too bassy and a bit too warm, with the midrange a bit recessed, but I do tolerate the MDR-Z1R quite well. If the tuning is similar, it should be fine, not perfect, but fine.

I don't think you'll find them much competition for the Andros given what I've read about them. Truth is I've had my eye on the Andros for some time, but I just can't justify to myself spending more than say $500 on IEMs.

That said I'd be interested as to how you find the N3 against the Andro, not that I think they'd be in anyway comparable.

Oh, and about the midrange - funnily enough that's the bit that impresses me most about the N3. Most IEMs at around the 2-300 mark seem to be missing the lower midrange for me, but that's not the case with the N3 - at least to my ears.

Jul 28, 2017 at 11:32 AM Post #748 of 2,298
I don't think you'll find them much competition for the Andros given what I've read about them. Truth is I've had my eye on the Andros for some time, but I just can't justify to myself spending more than say $500 on IEMs.

I've always had a lot resistance to expensive IEMs, for multiple reasons, the major being the lower sound quality and fragility.
The Andros were perhaps the first IEMs that changed that impression. They're good enough to surpass many TOTL full-size headphones, build quality is excellent and overall the price is high but doesn't seem shocking considering I prefer to use them with some tracks/albums than even the HD800/800S, Z1R or other full-sizes.

They're really good, IMHO at the sweet spot of value. Going higher is possible, but diminishing returns really hit hard and prices become atrocious considering the improvement.

That said I'd be interested as to how you find the N3 against the Andro, not that I think they'd be in anyway comparable.

They're probably very different in signature, as much as in design. But inevitably, it all boils down to "sound/fun" so I'll definitely compare them. They've destroyed so many IEMs I've tried that it's now a bit disappointing to compare... the newcomers always have a hard time.

Oh, and about the midrange - funnily enough that's the bit that impresses me most about the N3. Most IEMs at around the 2-300 mark seem to be missing the lower midrange for me, but that's not the case with the N3 - at least to my ears.

Experiences are as varied as the number of ears. :)
If you go through the whole thread, you'll see people commenting X as being a strong point, while others point at X as being a weak point. Happens in every thread/model tho.

I'm still wondering if I should cancel the order. Really hate returning stuff, but at the price and form/design, I think they might be perfectly OK to keep, even if they're Andromized to bits. The EX1000 return wasn't really because it was bad (it's actually a really good IEM) but merely because fun/use I'd get out of it would certainly not justify the ~500 EUR. The N3 will enter the arena at less than half of that, so it should be quite competitive.

Jul 28, 2017 at 5:30 PM Post #749 of 2,298
Finally saw this when I went back to check something on the older messages. When I said I can feel it further down my neck, It's at the same volume level with no EQ (I'm one of those that hate EQing anything). That's why I said felt rather than hear. At the same volume level, the Z5's sub bass have more of a presence. It might be the curve (which you might be able to make up for with EQ) or It's simply the larger diaphragm on the Z5 is moving more air mass at the same volume level. It's just like the 50Hz test tone have more presence from my Velodyne 18" sub vs the Velodyne 15" at the same volume level between my family room and living room home theater setup.

Got the Z5 a few days ago and replaced the original cable with the M12SM2 from Sony. The small comply tips from the N3AP also replaced the default tips from the Z5. Like you, I have the impression that the Z5 is moving more air. I don't know if it really is the case. The highs are benefiting from a slightly better extension in my opinion. Not that the ones out of the N3AP are rolled off, but the difference is quite noticeable. Talking about the bass feeling down your neck, I understand what you mean and I agree with you. It's not a question of quantity, but a kind of an extension of it or a presence, as you said. Nice feeling.

I love the N3AP. As an electronic music enthusiast (from Ambient and Drone to pounding Dub Techno), the bass of the N3AP remains the king between the two for me. It reminds me of my LCD-X. Quantity and quality-wise perfect. I am also listening to a lot of other music styles (vocals, movie soundtracks, metal and a bit of pop) and here is the Z5 a step ahead. EQ or not.

I paid, if I remember well, approx. EUR 230 for the N3AP and USD 499 for the Z5. The wider soundstage, better tonal balance and more extended treble of the Z5 are quite expensive to justify to be honest. Problem: once you've put the super confortable Z5 in you ears and you get that 15/20% better sound with aforementioned styles, it's difficult not to admit that the extra cash hasn't been well spent (it's subjective I know).

Now, the Z5 leak more than the N3AP. So, at the office and in public transports I use the N3AP. The Z5 stays at home. For the time being...

I may have gone a bit out of topic, but "mer" was tempted by the Z5 if I am not mistaken. So, I also wanted to develop a bit, I hope you don't mind Wiz33.

(Source: FiiO X5III with A5 amp)

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2017 at 5:52 PM Post #750 of 2,298
Got the Z5 a few days ago and replaced the original cable with the M12SM2 from Sony. The small comply tips from the N3AP also replaced the default tips from the Z5. Like you, I have the impression that the Z5 is moving more air. I don't know if it really is the case. The highs are benefiting from a slightly better extension in my opinion. Not that the ones out of the N3AP are rolled off, but the difference is quite noticeable. Talking about the bass feeling down your neck, I understand what you mean and I agree with you. It's not a question of quantity, but a kind of an extension of it or a presence, as you said. Nice feeling.

I love the N3AP. As an electronic music enthusiast (from Ambient and Drone to pounding Dub Techno), the bass of the N3AP remains the king between the two for me. It reminds me of my LCD-X. Quantity and quality-wise perfect. I am also listening to a lot of other music styles (vocals, movie soundtracks, metal and a bit of pop) and here is the Z5 a step ahead. EQ or not.

I paid, if I remember well, approx. EUR 230 for the N3AP and USD 499 for the Z5. The wider soundstage, better tonal balance and more extended treble of the Z5 are quite expensive to justify to be honest. Problem: once you've put the super confortable Z5 in you ears and you get that 15/20% better sound with aforementioned styles, it's difficult not to admit that the extra cash hasn't been well spent (it's subjective I know).

Now, the Z5 leak more than the N3AP. So, at the office and in public transports I use the N3AP. The Z5 stays at home. For the time being...

I may have gone a bit out of topic, but "mer" was tempted by the Z5 if I am not mistaken. So, I also wanted to develop a bit, I hope you don't mind Wiz33.

(Source: FiiO X5III with A5 amp)

Welcome to the club. The N3 bass is faster so it suits music with faster, tighter beats. Z5 bass is a bit slower but have more presence. Maybe a difference between a new drum and a well broken in drum. The price difference is quite large for the gain as you said. I paid 26500 yen for the N3 (no AP) in Japan so that's less than half of the Z5 price. Is it worth it? Everyone will have to judge for themselves but if you can drive them in balanced mode (I'm using a PHA-2A at home) with the upgrade cable, the difference becomes much clearer between the 2. The Z5 does leak a bit more but at normal listening level, it's not noticeable beyond 2" (see my recording sample here)

Download the m4a file from this link. It a recording using my iPhone 6's voice memo feature with me playing back Parov Stelar - The Lonely Trumpet on my Z5 at 50% volume through the PHA-2A in balanced mode . The phone was being held within 2 inches of the IEM, first on the left and switched to the right.

https://www.hightail.com/download/dDZGVWRyTEQzS29LSk1UQw

Then this one was made between 1:10 -2:10 of the track with the phone about 20" from the left ear then move to the right ear at about 30 sec mark.

https://www.hightail.com/download/dDZGVWRyTEQzeUtjZDhUQw

I use the N3 on the go cause it's easier to drive and less noticeable by others while I use the Z5 just at home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back