Sony XBA-N3AP and XBA-N1AP — Impressions thread
Jul 11, 2017 at 4:52 AM Post #661 of 2,298
Sony n1 is only 79.99 pounds today at amazon uk ... what a steal :)

Yes, I also find everything changes with a bad seal and I can see someone not enjoying it with an improper seal.

I also don't understand this 10khz is hurting me, I don't get anything remotely like that with n3, I agree with the others that is very smooth.

The way it's meant to be worn is deep, it's the deepest IEM I have used. Maybe try inserting deeper with the smaller hybrids ? I get the best comfort with the biggest hybrids but the best sound and the best seal with one size smaller and deeper.. but I do prefer the bigger size in the end because its more comfortable.... Try different tips that's the only thing you can pretty much do...

Jul 11, 2017 at 5:14 AM Post #662 of 2,298
Hi there,

I received yesterday the Chinese LG G6 with the Sabre Quad DAC... It's my third LG with this feature (after the V10 and the G5+module).

All I can say is that I can't imagine my N3 to sound any better than this.

It's almost a dream come true to have a phone with such power and quality.

With Tidal I can't ask for anything else. The sound is authoritative, full and detailed.

The quality of the bass still surprises after a some months.

May be it's just me... But having this kind of phone I have more than enough to feel the music treated fine and way better than any other phone I tried (excluding the other LGs with hifi DAC).

Using mainly IEMs like N3AP I don't see any reason to get a dedicated DAP having a LG with hifi DAC.

LG G6+ is a new global version of the G6 with the Quad DAC. Check it or search someone with a LG V20 before spending hundreds of dollars with the current fancy smart DAP's.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2017 at 7:03 AM Post #663 of 2,298
Hi there,

I received yesterday the Chinese LG G6 with the Sabre Quad DAC... It's my third LG with this feature (after the V10 and the G5+module).

All I can say is that I can't imagine my N3 to sound any better than this.

It's almost a dream come true to have a phone with such power and quality.

With Tidal I can't ask for anything else. The sound is authoritative, full and detailed.

The quality of the bass still surprises after a some months.

May be it's just me... But having this kind of phone I have more than enough to feel the music treated fine and way better than any other phone I tried (excluding the other LGs with hifi DAC).

Using mainly IEMs like N3AP I don't see any reason to get a dedicated DAP having a LG with hifi DAC.

LG G6+ is a new global version of the G6 with the Quad DAC. Check it or search someone with a LG V20 before spending hundreds of dollars with the current fancy smart DAP's.

Totally agree. I am using my n3ap with LG G6 too (quad dac). Even with the stock cable, the SQ is better than any other mid-fi iems that i own (pinnacle p1, ue 900s, 1more triple driver, etc). Do you use an adapter to "trick" the phone into external or high gain mode?

Jul 11, 2017 at 7:18 AM Post #664 of 2,298
I do the trick yes. With the "ext mode" the extra power is positive even at similar volume.

But remember, you don't need any adapter for that. Just detach the earphones from de cable. Connect the cable alone to trigger the ext mode and then attach the earphones to the cable. The ext mode remains active.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2017 at 7:26 AM Post #665 of 2,298
I do the trick yes. With the "ext mode" the extra power is positive even at similar volume.

But remember, you don't need any adapter for that. Just detach the earphones from de cable. Connect the cable alone to trigger the ext mode and then attach the earphones to the cable. The ext mode remains active.

Oh yes I tried that too! But I am afraid if I detach the ear piece to the cable too often, I might make the connector too loose.... :frowning2:

Jul 11, 2017 at 9:04 AM Post #667 of 2,298
That's something I worried too. My connectors are working fine but the tightness is not the same of first day.

Do you have a short, nice extender to share a link with me?

I am currently using a L shape adapter bought from Taobao (https://world.taobao.com/item/54183...m=a230r.1.14.1.r4tXk4&ns=1&abbucket=12#detail). My friend helped me buy it, as I don't know how to order from TB.

Typing "L shape adapter 3.5mm" in aliexpress yields similar results (https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesal...ative_id=SB_20170711050035&isViewCP=y&catId=0)

But make sure you get a 4 pole one, so that the mic + remote can still work!

Jul 11, 2017 at 9:08 AM Post #668 of 2,298
I choose dap ( cayin n3 ) instead of lg g6 for many reasons :

1) Battery, now my phone lasts 4 days instead of half day and my mp3 players lasts at least a day at high gain @ 130mw output ( try this with g6, wait you can't , there is not so much power .

2) High impedance mode to get the most out of it.... joke

3) Sabre DACs, yes they are good, and four of them probably even better( which sound a bit of a joke in noisy pcb such as a smartphone one, you could put 100 and it wouldn't make a difference with that power design and opamp) but AKM4490 musicality is unmatched.

4) Real buttons, I can pause rewind,fast forward,next song,volume up,down, power off/on all blindly inside my pocket. I hate to have to take my phone out, switch on the screen, use the screen to do whatever I have to do again the huge thing in my pocket. Which brings:

5) Size, I cant imagine carrying a lg g6 in the summer with just some shorts.... completely torture...

6) Cost if you lose it

7) Spdif/line out

And one for the "paranoid" ones :

8) Radioactivity(cancer) + Android ( GPS/cell antenna/Direct link to NSA etc etc )

Plus I feel the cayin n3 at 150 dollars has probably an edge on sound over the g6.... but I havent a/b'ed

By the time you are carrying a 5000mah usb powerbank you might as well get the cayin n3

Saying spending hundreds on useless daps is a bit misleading...., maybe you guys should reconsider you spending hundreds on "useless" phones.... Just a thought! :wink:

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2017 at 11:02 AM Post #669 of 2,298
Sony n1 is only 79.99 pounds today at amazon uk ... what a steal :)

Yes, I also find everything changes with a bad seal and I can see someone not enjoying it with an improper seal.

I also don't understand this 10khz is hurting me, I don't get anything remotely like that with n3, I agree with the others that is very smooth.

The way it's meant to be worn is deep, it's the deepest IEM I have used. Maybe try inserting deeper with the smaller hybrids ? I get the best comfort with the biggest hybrids but the best sound and the best seal with one size smaller and deeper.. but I do prefer the bigger size in the end because its more comfortable.... Try different tips that's the only thing you can pretty much do...

I think the spike in 10K is from the DAC chip on the S7. Some DAC doesn't stay flat when pushed closed to max and may spike at some frequency.

Jul 11, 2017 at 12:20 PM Post #670 of 2,298
I think the spike in 10K is from the DAC chip on the S7. Some DAC doesn't stay flat when pushed closed to max and may spike at some frequency.

Not the case with the samsung s7 though...

gsmarena_a001.png

Jul 11, 2017 at 2:08 PM Post #671 of 2,298
I don't know, i came to the feeling that at a certain price range "Over 200$" any earphone will sound premium and it's up to every customer taste, may be it's just doesn't fit my taste considering also that we perceive sounds differently so what is sharp and painful for one may be exciting for another one, i don't know that's my explanation... all the trials to have a deep snug fit didn't change the sound so much, and i get a snug fit with the big blue silicon tips at a certain angle of insertion "but it keep getting out as if my left ear push it out, never had this weird fitting problem before not with sony and not with any brand", with the medium green silicon tips i don't get a snug fit at all in my left ear, and of course none of the triple comfort gave me a snug fit in both my ears, still waiting to test how it may sound with the spin-fit eartips

Jul 11, 2017 at 2:54 PM Post #672 of 2,298
All the best!

Today I listened to deep summer house EQ'ed like below and it was A-M-A-Z-I-N-G . Words can't describe... Unique experience with headphones and generally in some ways it's even better than cheap 2.1 ( below 1k usd ) speakers ... sets new benchmark for me.. :) So enjoyable... magic :)

best.jpg

I listened for an hour at 100% volume at medium gain ( ~70mw ) . -~6-8db preamp.

SmoooOOOoooothhh highs..... Super deep ridiculous bass ear rupture levels.

The XBA-N3 is much more musical on the Cayin N3...than my computers/laptops/smartphones..

The xba-n3 marries perfect with the cayin n3, most musical combination beating many setups Ive tried over the years

This verita ak4490 and TI OPA1622 are really something even on cheap 150$ dap !!!!! Yooraayy!

[ I bet it could power the xba-z5 just fine at high gain 130mw .... HMMMMMMMMMMMM ( any z5 for sale ? :p ) ]

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2017 at 3:23 PM Post #673 of 2,298
I choose dap ( cayin n3 ) instead of lg g6 for many reasons :

1) Battery, now my phone lasts 4 days instead of half day and my mp3 players lasts at least a day at high gain @ 130mw output ( try this with g6, wait you can't , there is not so much power .

2) High impedance mode to get the most out of it.... joke

3) Sabre DACs, yes they are good, and four of them probably even better( which sound a bit of a joke in noisy pcb such as a smartphone one, you could put 100 and it wouldn't make a difference with that power design and opamp) but AKM4490 musicality is unmatched.

4) Real buttons, I can pause rewind,fast forward,next song,volume up,down, power off/on all blindly inside my pocket. I hate to have to take my phone out, switch on the screen, use the screen to do whatever I have to do again the huge thing in my pocket. Which brings:

5) Size, I cant imagine carrying a lg g6 in the summer with just some shorts.... completely torture...

6) Cost if you lose it

7) Spdif/line out

And one for the "paranoid" ones :

8) Radioactivity(cancer) + Android ( GPS/cell antenna/Direct link to NSA etc etc )

Plus I feel the cayin n3 at 150 dollars has probably an edge on sound over the g6.... but I havent a/b'ed

By the time you are carrying a 5000mah usb powerbank you might as well get the cayin n3

Saying spending hundreds on useless daps is a bit misleading...., maybe you guys should reconsider you spending hundreds on "useless" phones.... Just a thought! :wink:

That's great. A not Internet DAP is a great choice. I was talking about the new and expensive smart daps with streaming apps. My choice is a fine phone like this because 99% of the music I play come from streaming. I just love to discover new music all the time this way.

But you re right, there are not useless choices, just personal ones. So... The point was just saying that Sony N3AP sound gloriusly with the chinese LG G6 (right now "just" 370€ from eglobal).

Jul 11, 2017 at 4:32 PM Post #674 of 2,298
I don't know, i came to the feeling that at a certain price range "Over 200$" any earphone will sound premium and it's up to every customer taste, may be it's just doesn't fit my taste considering also that we perceive sounds differently so what is sharp and painful for one may be exciting for another one, i don't know that's my explanation... all the trials to have a deep snug fit didn't change the sound so much, and i get a snug fit with the big blue silicon tips at a certain angle of insertion "but it keep getting out as if my left ear push it out, never had this weird fitting problem before not with sony and not with any brand", with the medium green silicon tips i don't get a snug fit at all in my left ear, and of course none of the triple comfort gave me a snug fit in both my ears, still waiting to test how it may sound with the spin-fit eartips

If they fit well in your right ear, what happens if you just wear the right one and the use a finger to plug up your left. Do you feel you get similar bass loudness as the A3 at same volume level?

Jul 11, 2017 at 6:28 PM Post #675 of 2,298
If they fit well in your right ear, what happens if you just wear the right one and the use a finger to plug up your left. Do you feel you get similar bass loudness as the A3 at same volume level?
I don't know can't decide with only one side, the problem is that even if it fit well in the left ear after 5 minutes it gets pushed out again, so weird and its even more weird when i have tried and owned almost every single IEM by Sony and never had such a problem (A1, A3, N3, SBH20, SBH54, SBH80, XB70, AS800, XB90EX, EX650, EX450, XB80, EX750, EX300, EX750 Did i forget something?!!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back