Sony XBA-N3AP and XBA-N1AP — Impressions thread
Jul 9, 2017 at 1:57 PM Post #631 of 2,298
Without any EQ

I don't digitize my vinyls... since I trust people with better equipment than me to do that... This is an example of what equipment they use to digitize.... my equipment is not anywhere as good.... Some people have better equipment, some worse but to be honest I do prefer the digital files nowawdays since they have almost as good subbass as vinyls...

Example of what people use to rip the vinyls I listen to :

Playback Device: Technics SL-1200MK3D
Pickup head: Audio-Technica AT-150MLX
Preamplifier: Musical Fidelity V-LPSII
ADC: Korg DS-DAC-10R ( This is for DSD / 1bit adc/dac)
Digitization program: AudioGate 4

But I always love some vinyl! I just hook my vinyl to the input of a cambridge audio headphone amplifier or yamaha amplifier. Nothing special and my player is an aiwa :) So yeah.. I dont have very good equipment...

If you are going to listen to vinyl, then straight listen from vinyl... Generally I don't like to rip the vinyl ... and I prefer clean digital files ( if it was recorded digitally ). Vinyls upper mids/low highs sound a bit bright sometimes

It's a bit like digitizing a film. Why didn't you shoot it with digital if you were going to digitize it....

Someone has to be really impressed with how good new digital recordings sound even from cheap equipment. Btw new good ADCs don't roll off frequencies below 30hz-50hz

The best subbass I've heard in my life came from DrumNBass vinyl in a party in Brixton,London ( with Funktion One subwoofers... I think that one cost around 200k and it's made for 20-60hz specifically but dont quote me on that )

Ok, that's what I do now, just through the headphone port on my receiver. but I was looking for a simple way to convert them to 24/96 and it seems the easiest way is this:

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-PSHX500...qid=1499622855&sr=8-2&keywords=Sony+turntable

Damn, the price have dropped by 30% since I last looked. Well, I just ordered one, we'll see how it goes.

Jul 9, 2017 at 2:47 PM Post #634 of 2,298
I can only listen to this track at about 50% volume on my iPhone 6. I play the same track on my PC through a PHA-2A to my Z5 and same volumes level. The Horn/trumpet? does sound brighter on the N3 and I can see how it may get painful at higher volume. The Drum play starting at 2:00 is nice and deep and is plentiful at 50% on the N3 but does have a bit more kick and depth on the Z5 but that's comparing a 9mm driver to a 16mm. Do you have a PC/Laptop you can play this track from? not looking for quality but just wondering why we're listening to the same track at vastly different level.
At the 50% of the A3 i start feeling its too much, however i have to raise the volume up to 65% with the N3 until i start feeling its too load on the phone putting the A3 on 100% volume is load but not overly load, with the N3 i feel i need to raise the volume beyond 100% to be able to enjoy the drums "though i feel that the N3 bass quality is marginally better but the trumpet being so forward is screwing my experience of enjoying the drums in the back

Jul 9, 2017 at 3:03 PM Post #635 of 2,298
I was wondering if Over ear headphones is superior in quality to any IEM then why you buy IEM? in my case i have an issue in my jaw joint so i can't withstand anything touching around or over my ear, What about you? "Was thinking about this because i remembered how amazing was the sound out of the Sony MDR-1000X in addition to the amazing sound cancellation and not having to put all this effort and adjusting every once and awhile for a good seal in your ears)

Jul 9, 2017 at 3:22 PM Post #636 of 2,298
At the 50% of the A3 i start feeling its too much, however i have to raise the volume up to 65% with the N3 until i start feeling its too load on the phone putting the A3 on 100% volume is load but not overly load, with the N3 i feel i need to raise the volume beyond 100% to be able to enjoy the drums "though i feel that the N3 bass quality is marginally better but the trumpet being so forward is screwing my experience of enjoying the drums in the back

The trumpet is definitely more forward and in your face on the N3, it's more recessed on the Z5 (most people say the Z5 have a V curve and a bit darker) but the bass level is pretty close, as I said just a tiny bit more kick and a bit lower on the Z5. My A3 is at the office, I'll give that a try tomorrow,

Jul 9, 2017 at 3:55 PM Post #637 of 2,298
I was wondering if Over ear headphones is superior in quality to any IEM then why you buy IEM? in my case i have an issue in my jaw joint so i can't withstand anything touching around or over my ear, What about you? "Was thinking about this because i remembered how amazing was the sound out of the Sony MDR-1000X in addition to the amazing sound cancellation and not having to put all this effort and adjusting every once and awhile for a good seal in your ears)

For me, I like IEMs first because they are small, I take them to work and I use them like everyday, I also commute everyday and I use my dap or my smartphone second because they deliver really good quality ( the N3 is actually the headphone I use the most and I have many ) . They are pretty efficient. The signature/experience with IEM is different and sometimes preferable compared to big headphones or even speakers but that's a bit rare. Also, IEM don't usually leak as much( for example the N3 is extremely minimal ) . The IEM don't move a lot of air... compared to big headphones or speakers so you don't really feel the music... But, for me, the main reason is they are SO portable...

I never adjust the N3... I put it and I touch it again when I want to take it out...

Jul 9, 2017 at 5:29 PM Post #639 of 2,298

Can you please test these songs for me and tell me how you feel/what you like and dont like... thanks Also do you feel there is any difference between left and right ?

I listen to this now without any EQ and it's pretty damn good can't find any faults except some SS which probably comes from the recording... The highs are amazing... at least as good as the tweeter from Wharfdale Diamond 10.1 speakers plugged to CamAudio stereo amp...

This sounds perfect... If I eq 15-60hz it goes crazy! ( +10db 15-30hz +5db 60hz... club!!! )

Also please check out this intro... N3 sounds perfect ...

magic.jpg

The xba-n3 delivers true 15hz...

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2017 at 7:08 PM Post #641 of 2,298
Can you please test these songs for me and tell me how you feel/what you like and dont like... thanks Also do you feel there is any difference between left and right ?

I listen to this now without any EQ and it's pretty damn good can't find any faults except some SS which probably comes from the recording... The highs are amazing... at least as good as the tweeter from Wharfdale Diamond 10.1 speakers plugged to CamAudio stereo amp...

This sounds perfect... If I eq 15-60hz it goes crazy! ( +10db 15-30hz +5db 60hz... club!!! )

Without any EQ or AMP the 1st track ""Calexico" sound amazing, punchy nice bass, clear forward mids, abit recessed highs then starting from second 50 suddenly the bass bleeds with the mids and the highs become hard to separate and the track is unenjoyable, i listened on 30% of my PC. Parov stelar: the bass is not powerful muddy and bleeding, the mid is a little recessed, the highs are nice and not painfully sharp, but also i downloaded the track and the audio is 64 kbps so its not the highest quality But then i found the tracks on TIDAL and it happens that it was HI-Fi/Master track so i attached my AMP too "which has two outputs so i can attach both the N3 and A3 to compare", with the 1st track the bass oh my god!!! it's amazing deep and punchy but then after the 1st minute i felt the same there is an instrument separation problem, i feel like the earphone is trying hard to produce the vocals while the bass is covering all the mids with the 2nd track i still listen to the 10khz spike and it's annoying and the same thing i want to hear the punch of the bass because i can feel it but its weak it needs even more power it improves a little with the high gain, with the A3 i felt they have a very similar sound signature however the bass is more punchy and the over all listening experience is not tiring compared to the N3, the mids are noticeably forward in the N3, though it sound more natural and warm than the A3, over all the N3 is less load by 10% than the A3 and the soundstage is smaller by may be %, to be honest the N3 sounded more clear and higher quality but also not comfy for long time listening i don't know why, The N3 bass sounds like a new fresh small drum in a small studio while the A3 sounds like old heavily used big drum in a large hall

Jul 9, 2017 at 7:14 PM Post #642 of 2,298

Also please check out this intro... N3 sounds perfect ...

Listen to this , i find with this track N3 is totally unenjoyable and i have to put it down i can't even listen to it on 20%, its so painful! while with the A3 it still sharp but i can listen up to 30% and its still enjoyable and the bass in the back is alive in the A3 while it's almost not there in the A3, just a super tweeter hurting my ears!

Jul 9, 2017 at 7:38 PM Post #643 of 2,298
I just saw there is a 3rd track now cause the screenshot was not loading, The intro sound amazing!!, this is the only track i listened to since i bought the N3 that sounds better than the A3, the bass is punchy clear, the Piano sound more clear and refined, the Sax is the king! it sounds totally different in the N3 it sounds sound warm and melodic much much better than A3! it sounds amazing! However in the exact same track the sound stage of the A3 seems to be much much bigger! as the difference between setting in a small jazz bar (N3) and big live jazz concert in a hall (A3)

Jul 9, 2017 at 9:40 PM Post #644 of 2,298
Listen to this , i find with this track N3 is totally unenjoyable and i have to put it down i can't even listen to it on 20%, its so painful! while with the A3 it still sharp but i can listen up to 30% and its still enjoyable and the bass in the back is alive in the A3 while it's almost not there in the A3, just a super tweeter hurting my ears!

Time for a return on a defective unit ? Are you getting any extremely hot treble issues with other head gear ?
These have the least fatiguing treble of IEMs I've heard in a long time.

Jul 10, 2017 at 12:53 AM Post #645 of 2,298

Yes IMO you're correct. I've yet to come across any IEM at any price that's equal to a relatively good pair of over ears or on ears.

For me IEMs are only used when the weather is to hot for over ear headphones, or when I value portability more than sound quality.

The N3 is good, very good in fact, in comparison to other IEMs up to say $500, but switching directly from over ears (DT1770 pro) to the N3 makes the N3 sound horribly congested, lacking detail and quite unrefined.

Edited to add: All IEMs suffer from that IME, so this is not a dig at the N3 in particular, just a dig at IEMs in general.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back