Sony XBA-N3AP and XBA-N1AP — Impressions thread
Feb 9, 2017 at 9:41 AM Post #226 of 2,298
When i did some search on google about the muc-m12sb1 cable I noticed on some pics that little plastic plugs are included in the package. They seem to bend a bit the cable just before the connector and thus enable the possibility of wearing the cable behind the ear. I already do it with the stock cable but I think that since this replacement cable is a bit bigger, it may have to be used this way.

Feb 9, 2017 at 2:38 PM Post #227 of 2,298
  When i did some search on google about the muc-m12sb1 cable I noticed on some pics that little plastic plugs are included in the package. They seem to bend a bit the cable just before the connector and thus enable the possibility of wearing the cable behind the ear. I already do it with the stock cable but I think that since this replacement cable is a bit bigger, it may have to be used this way.

Thanks for the pics. I was wondering how the new cable will work the A3/Z5 with the angled connections. Did you order through Amazon Japan or somewhere else? How much an improvement are you seeing between the stock cable and the this? 

Feb 10, 2017 at 4:35 AM Post #228 of 2,298
I haven't order it yet but if I will, I will certainly do it through amazon japan along with the rmt-nws20 remote. They are the cheapest for these two items on the net.
Before I order them I'd like to have some feedback on the cable itself to see if it's easy to use above the ear with the plugs I mentioned or simply the normal way.
I recommend to all N3 users to try to wear them this way (upside down with left and right inverted) because they feel lighter this way and stay firmly in the ear.

Feb 10, 2017 at 11:13 AM Post #229 of 2,298
  I haven't order it yet but if I will, I will certainly do it through amazon japan along with the rmt-nws20 remote. They are the cheapest for these two items on the net.
Before I order them I'd like to have some feedback on the cable itself to see if it's easy to use above the ear with the plugs I mentioned or simply the normal way.
I recommend to all N3 users to try to wear them this way (upside down with left and right inverted) because they feel lighter this way and stay firmly in the ear.

Ah, I misread your post, I thought those pics are from you and you have gotten the cable. I guess you can search for review of the older cable for the A/Z series and see what people have to say. 

Feb 21, 2017 at 1:49 AM Post #230 of 2,298
Well, my set of N3 have just arrived this morning and are currently getting a nice work out. :)
Thanks to @Ralphee for enabling whoops, I mean *assisting* me in deciding by sending me his impressions.
Previously I was using XBA A1, and really like them. Very detailed, decent bass, light and for me anyway pretty comfortable. Couldn't even begin to wear the a2 which I really wanted, but the A1 are a very good pair imho. But...I still wanted something more...:rolleyes::D
Early in the N series release I tried them at Jaben - impressions posted early in this thread - and was not over impressed. I found the N1 to be too bassy, and the N3 to be nothing special. But when recent discounts meant that I could get a set for under $200 I decided to try again. And I'm pretty happy that I did.
Firstly, I like the build quality. The magnesium, if I'm not mistaken a casing with brass nozzle strikes me as a very solid, precision instrument. The cable fitting (is it just plain MMCX?)is fine, swivels a bit on its connection but not too loose. Hopefully will stay tight. Prefer the standard hybrid tips, can't handle the new triple comfort at all much preferred the older noise isolation tips - had good experience with those.
Sound is so good that it is unremarkable! I think someone earlier said that it was almost boring, because it doesn't "shine" in any particular area. Just nicely extended bass, rich mids and polite, smooth treble. Sounds more natural than the slightly harsh artificial highs of the A1. And they are super comfortable, so small for such big sound. Almost equate to an in-ear version of my favourite overs, the MDR 1A. And that's high praise.
Downs? Well, I really wish Sony hadn't been cheap, and still included 2 cables - one with, and one without mic - pretty poor after setting a nice precedent. I still think that treble could have a dash more energy, although being totally sibilance sensitive I can always live with less rather than more, no Vsonic harsh here thank you. But hmm, just a touch more next time Sony, please.
Anyway, last set for a while I think. Sony certainly get most of my audio cash, and deservedly so. To me, these are pretty high end things, and I'm looking forwards to many happy hours, hopefully years :)
Edit, typo corrections.

Feb 22, 2017 at 7:03 AM Post #231 of 2,298
And a 24 hour later update:
FWIW, I don't generally believe in burn-in other than the brain burn-in that comes with time spent listening. So I won't attribute any new feelings to that, but things have changed. For the better, sonically, and somewhat worse with comfort.
The bad? Completely unexpectedly they are not comfortable worn down. The dynamic driver housing fits snugly up against my ear shell, and burns! At least that's how it feels. I think it is causing a pressure spot, which becomes very uncomfortable after about 30 minutes listening. The only solution seems to be to wear them over the ear, which is a bit awkward as they are obviously designed to wear down. Shame. Maybe I will look into cable alternatives that have ear hooks, and try that instead.
But the sound is superb. Any lingering doubts over treble extension have disappeared. In fact, with certain recordings I even managed to my horror to invoke sibilance! Fortunately minor, and nothing to worry about. The whole dynamic range is, to my ears, quite awesome and the power of these seems to well exceed their diminutive size. Very impressed.
I'm sure this link has been shared before, I may have missed it, but it was nice to read the design and engineering thoughts of the Sony guys who created this excellent IEM.
http://www.sony.jp/headphone/special/park/products_ba/tech11.html
I'm slightly let down by the possibility that the dynamic sound space part is made of plastic, when the rest of the headphone is so solidly constructed. I've seen some places that mention magnesium, some reviews say it is plastic, it looks and feels like high quality plastic to me. The nozzle, obviously brass, the casing is metal but I hope that the sound space area proves durable enough in daily use although I intend to take pretty good care of these. The cable is light, and also maybe could be better - I liked the A series flat cable quite a lot, never tangled. I'm sure that later on I'll experiment with other cables, mainly for fit and comfort rather than sound. The Sony replacement cable looks way too expensive, I'm sure there are better, more viable options. Suggestions welcomed!
Cheers, I'm enjoying these even more today. :)

Feb 23, 2017 at 4:02 AM Post #232 of 2,298
I'm slightly let down by the possibility that the dynamic sound space part is made of plastic, when the rest of the headphone is so solidly constructed.

I don't like to disappoint you, but except its brass nozzle the whole N3-housing is made of plastics, including the glossy black parts. IMO it's not a bad thing, as it keeps the 'phones "light", in weight and cost.

RE sound quality / "burn-in" time: I agree completely with your opinion. And if you wait a little longer, things will get even better. The most striking aspect to me was the stereo imaging: coming from the XBA-A3, the N3AP sounded at first like being inside a "bubble", as the stage ended right at the ears, but all instruments were placed very far to the boundary of that bubble. Meanwhile, that has improved tremendously, and the 'phones sound airier and wider, closer to the A3 sound stage. Thus, with the N3AP, I might need to reconsider my opinion about the importance of "burn-in"...

Feb 23, 2017 at 4:13 AM Post #233 of 2,298
Ah well...:rolleyes: at least it looks like pretty good quality plastic. :D
Sound just gets better and better the more that I listen. Out of my fiio e17k last night the soundstage was pretty impressive, better than A1 and clearer detailing. Not much to fault, really.
I love Sony sound, these are top notch. :cool:

Feb 23, 2017 at 7:33 AM Post #234 of 2,298
Cam anyone compare N3 to EX1000? I absolutely love my EX1000 and it's subbas, looking for some more fun iems. AmI looking into right direction?
Also, did anyone try new comfort tips with EX1000? My best match with them are Sony stock isolate tips, but these are not longer manufactured and japan prices get so high. Looking for a replacement tips for EX1000.

Feb 23, 2017 at 11:29 PM Post #235 of 2,298
Just posted for the subscription hehe

I purchased this earphone at yodobashi in akihabara in my trip in tokyo. I am really enjoying,the kind of sound signature i was lookiny into.

Any recommendations for any non included tips instead of the included ones?
Thank you very much
Antonio

Feb 24, 2017 at 12:30 AM Post #236 of 2,298
I'm looking at this to use with the N3 when wired (with a mic).

https://www.amazon.com/EarMax-upgrade-control-replacement-earphone/dp/B01A1RP6ZK/ref=pd_sim_23_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01A1RP6ZK&pd_rd_r=KKV0AVX7GKKY1MQ136Y2&pd_rd_w=aNuUh&pd_rd_wg=pehpv&psc=1&refRID=KKV0AVX7GKKY1MQ136Y2

Feb 24, 2017 at 11:17 AM Post #237 of 2,298
Just posted for the subscription hehe

I purchased this earphone at yodobashi in akihabara in my trip in tokyo. I am really enjoying,the kind of sound signature i was lookiny into.

Any recommendations for any non included tips instead of the included ones?
Thank you very much
Antonio

Did you try the Triple comfort tip from inside the box, They gives better isolation and tonal quality than the ones fitted to the earbuds according to reviews but they are hard to get outside Japan, they are available from eBay though. I also use the Comply TX-200 and TS-200 memory foam tip which are very comfortable but takes a bit of experience to have them seated right. I recently got a recommendation for the SpinFit CP-100 which are fairly comfortable and very easy to seat as they can spin and tilt on their own. 

Feb 24, 2017 at 6:23 PM Post #238 of 2,298
Have not used the N-series but if the nozzles are similar size as the old Sony IEMs that use Sony Hybrids, Ortofon tips may be worth checking out if your ear canals aren't very large.

Feb 25, 2017 at 1:16 AM Post #239 of 2,298
Hmm, further thoughts...
Clarity seems improved, burn-in or mental I cannot say. But going back to my A1 the A1 seem to have a light veil over the upper mids and treble. Also the slightly harsh BA sound of the A1 is completely absent on the N3. Nice. Still going to keep my A1 for wandering around duty, but otherwise they are just eclipsed by the N3, no contest. I'm happy to have both to compare, though. Beat almost anything in their respective price ranges that I have heard.
Sadly the cable doesn't impress. I made the mistake of trying the cable tidy, and now have indelible wrinkles in the cable. It's light, completely non-microphonic, looks decent but I much prefer the flat cable from the A series. I've put out feelers where I live to see if someone has the cables from the A2 that they don't need, because that cable may look pretty basic, but has excellent wearing properties imho. I've also ordered a simple, non-mic, cable on eBay which I hope will give me a better feel...I'll update when it arrives.

Mar 8, 2017 at 8:52 AM Post #240 of 2,298
OK, embarrassing question time...
Since I have no previous experience with XBA detachable cable models, is the Sony MMCX compatible with standard MMCX or do they use a different system? I have seen cables advertising "locking Sony MMCX" connections, and others claiming that MMCX generic will fit. And did they change between series, H to A/N?
Any guidance appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back