Sony XBA-N3AP and XBA-N1AP — Impressions thread
Nov 10, 2016 at 7:23 AM Post #136 of 2,298
I will keep trying N1AP a few more days before buying N3AP (I canceled the order) I need more time and trying the different eartips. But the overwhelming bass may be tamed... Or not. What a beast these IEM's...

Nov 10, 2016 at 7:33 AM Post #137 of 2,298
  I will keep trying N1AP a few more days before buying N3AP (I canceled the order) I need more time and trying the different eartips. But the overwhelming bass may be tamed... Or not. What a beast these IEM's...

Although i avoid to eq the sound at all costs, have you tried that? I'm really curious about that bass 
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 10, 2016 at 10:31 AM Post #138 of 2,298
Im Pulling my hair ouit with this.  Bought the Sony XBA-N1AP in the UK.  For anyone interested, brilliant, However, the cable that comes with them is, in my opinion, rubbish! I dont want to use them to talk on my mobile and the 3 rings on the Mini Jack prevent me using them with sound desks at work when using a quarter inch jack adapter.
Apparently Sony do sell an upgrade cable.  I've had to search hard for it and found this model number MUC-M12SM1
Here is the same cable on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/MUC-M12SM1-Headphone-Cable-Hybrid-Headphones/dp/B00NW35M6Y.

My question is, will this cable work with the XBA-N1AP? just cant find any information except they fir the previous generation of the earphones. If its the same connector which I hope it is, then I can get them :)

Nov 10, 2016 at 11:25 AM Post #139 of 2,298
  Im Pulling my hair ouit with this.  Bought the Sony XBA-N1AP in the UK.  For anyone interested, brilliant, However, the cable that comes with them is, in my opinion, rubbish! I dont want to use them to talk on my mobile and the 3 rings on the Mini Jack prevent me using them with sound desks at work when using a quarter inch jack adapter.
Apparently Sony do sell an upgrade cable.  I've had to search hard for it and found this model number MUC-M12SM1
Here is the same cable on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/MUC-M12SM1-Headphone-Cable-Hybrid-Headphones/dp/B00NW35M6Y.

My question is, will this cable work with the XBA-N1AP? just cant find any information except they fir the previous generation of the earphones. If its the same connector which I hope it is, then I can get them :)

I think they use MMCX connectors. I ordered the N1 too, i can confirm when i get them.

Also, be advised that the product page of the N1 on the sony's website, does have a button to "see the upgrade cables" but it leads to nowhere. The Sony-Asia website however redirects you to some cables but they don't specify the connectors or their compatibility. There are two of them for iems that seem to have MMCX connectors as well. check them out here.

Sorry not to answer your question but i think this is worth to see as well :)

Nov 10, 2016 at 12:14 PM Post #140 of 2,298

I think they use MMCX connectors. I ordered the N1 too, i can confirm when i get them.

Also, be advised that the product page of the N1 on the sony's website, does have a button to "see the upgrade cables" but it leads to nowhere. The Sony-Asia website however redirects you to some cables but they don't specify the connectors or their compatibility. There are two of them for iems that seem to have MMCX connectors as well. check them out here.

Sorry not to answer your question but i think this is worth to see as well :)

Your a star, really appreciated.  Found the two cables that look the same on the website, both saying "comming soon" 
Looks like they both will fit the N1s but they are made differently, ands I guess one more expensive than the other, but your help is really appreciated.  Would still be interested if anyone knows where I could get Custom cables from for these in the UK.  
Thanks again.

Nov 11, 2016 at 7:36 PM Post #141 of 2,298
A couple of days later I just focus enjoying music. With the included "triple comfort earbuds" the bass is less powerful and longer listening sessions are possible to me.

So the beast can be tamed.

Nov 15, 2016 at 7:23 AM Post #146 of 2,298
Well, my N1 arrived yesterday morning and i tried them during that day. Unfortunately, i didn't like them so much, so i returned them
frown.gif

Anyway, i'm gonna give you my impressions with some pics 
wink.gif

Opening the box. It's a premium box, beautiful that opens like a book

The box, beautiful simple design​

I open, and the first thing to see is the earphones themselves. They're shiny silver. It looks like metal but in fact it is plastic. A high quality plastic I must say. I grab them and they're also super light.
Removing the lid that brings the earphones we find their case, various pairs of tips (silicone and triple comfort), a cable clip and a cable roller (sort of), and finally the manual.

The set of accessories, including the triple comfort tips​

Let's start with the tips. The silicones are pretty standard, comfortable as always, too thin for my taste but still pretty good. The good stuff is the Triple Comfort Earbuds. These are, and i mean this literally, a hybrid material between silicone and foam. They're not like sony isolation tips that have sponge inside and silicone on the outside. It's a stiffer foam that doesn't eat treble and is comfortable like the silicone.
I took some photos to compare, i have the Trinity Audio Delta V-II, so i included those tips in order to introduce an outsider brand.

From left to right: 1- Deltas' silicone, 2- Sony Isolation,​
3- Sony standard silicone, 4- Sony Triple Comfort, 5- Comply​
Isolation Plus
Top outter view​
Side view​
Top inner view​

Notice that the triple comfort is a little thicker than a normal silicone but thinner than a foam. They're really comfortable. A little bit harder than a normal silicone and Sony Isolation ones. Still, they're really really comfortable and soft. Their isolation is amazing. I couldn't understand anything my roommate was saying to me while these were on, without music. Amazing work there.

Moving on to the cable. I read before the cable is cheap. I don't think so. It's pretty similar to the one present in the XB90EX. It's not the prettiest cable but it's sturdier and dented (to prevent tangles). The serrated cable is nice for everyday use imo.

Cable​
Comparison
Sony XBA-N1APTrinity Audio Delta V-II

Nothing spectacular, it has a mic and it is connected using an MMCX connector, not the best connector in the market but this one is sturdy 
smily_headphones1.gif

Before moving on to sound, a little comparison in size:

From top to bottom: 1- Sony XBA-N1AP, 2- Trinity Audio Delta, 3- Sony MDR-XB90EX

Finally... the sound. Well let's get the bad stuff first. They are not worth this amount of money. For this amount you can get something more refined at ease. They also not tolerant to bad quality tracks, you will know they're bad because you can feel their grain (which is not really a bad thing).

Overall, the signature is dark. It's veiled and opaque compared to some hybrids i've experienced. It's not necessarily a bad thing if balanced well. Somehow, i wasn't expecting a signature that dark.

Now the bass... this one has plenty of it. According to my standards, this is, without any single doubt, a basshead earphone. The bass is focused on the mid bass and it has a fair amount of sub bass but not much. Compared to the XB90EX, i think the XB90 has much more sub bass and it's clearly tighter.
The N1 has a lot of texture, i'll give you that, but it doesn't hit hard. In terms of depth, the XB90 is a winner for me.

The mid range is recessed. Not fully recessed but most of it. I'm thinking it's not their intention to recess the treble but the bass takes the spotlight and the mids are just there to fulfill the void. I have to turn up the volume a little to hear some power on the female vocals. However, thanks to the dynamic driver, these sound thicker and natural. They're more organic and richer. It's another experience, something i'm used to. I have moments where i prefer this kind of vocals/mids and other moments i prefer a clear and transparent BA. Nevertheless, they're detailed and some details in the mids are also captured (which is a surprise for this amount of bass). The XB90 retains more clarity thanks to its controlled bass. This may be a hit or a miss depending on preferences but i think the XB90 is more balanced and, for that reason, i think it would appeal a bigger audience.

Lastly, the treble. It is rolled off, and yet a little sparkly. You can feel the BA on cymbals and synthesized clicks, it does a really good job because it makes it not bright and not aggressive at all, in fact dark and smooth but you can still appreciate the sparkle that some instruments do. Here i can say it's different from the XB90. The XB90 has a thicker treble, which is expected. The N1's treble is thinner, but also pleasant, it's simply different. Some will like this the best, some won't. Personally i prefer the N1's treble. The non-aggressive BA makes it suitable for everyday listening and you can still get a great quantity of detail. Nevertheless, thread careful in this matter because if you want well extended treble, look elsewhere. I'm treble sensitive, so these are fine to me, but i know most people would like something more.

So, to conclude, i don't think the N1 is worth for its price. I paid 166 euros for it. For this price i expected a lot better. The bass is too focused on the mid bass and mid range is nothing special either. Treble is good, but, as i stated before, many people will want a little more.
Of course these are just preferences so don't take me wrong here, YMMV.
The reason i didn't compare it to the Trinity Audio Delta V-II is because their difference is day and night.

Please take my opinion lightly, i didn't spend that much time with them but my reaction wasn't a "Wow, these are great!", they didn't impress me. Still, they're worth to try if you like dark signatures and you're willing to pay the price 
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT: One more thing. These earphones require energy. I noticed because i had to crank up the volume in my FiiO X1. The X1 has enough power. But i noticed a lack of bass and treble in my FiiO K1, so these are likely to benefit from an amp. I don't have one so this is mere speculation. I look forward to some impressions with an amp too 
redface.gif

Nov 17, 2016 at 2:12 PM Post #147 of 2,298
pedronet
Hi
Thanks for your impression
Maybe you're finding the mids on the n1ap recessed because you got used to the largely boosted lower mids of the xb90. Check out the frequency response graph of the xb90ex - https://www.google.mu/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://en.goldenears.net/17313&ved=0ahUKEwiluc3StrDQAhVHxoMKHSjrCqAQFggbMAA&usg=AFQjCNHtlF4VZPCqd5v2oFgsW3KP3lfq8Q&sig2=x05TPv0jhiebIxuH6nzfcg

Anyway, getting mine in about 10 days

And....would it be possible for anyone here to measure the frequency response of the n1ap?

Nov 17, 2016 at 2:35 PM Post #148 of 2,298
@pedronet
Hi
Thanks for your impression
Maybe you're finding the mids on the n1ap recessed because you got used to the largely boosted lower mids of the xb90. Check out the frequency response graph of the xb90ex - https://www.google.mu/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://en.goldenears.net/17313&ved=0ahUKEwiluc3StrDQAhVHxoMKHSjrCqAQFggbMAA&usg=AFQjCNHtlF4VZPCqd5v2oFgsW3KP3lfq8Q&sig2=x05TPv0jhiebIxuH6nzfcg

Anyway, getting mine in about 10 days

And....would it be possible for anyone here to measure the frequency response of the n1ap?

Probably yes. The bummer is that when you want to hear an instrument that lies on the mids, you turn up the volume but the bass says "no!". But yea, no doubt that the XB90EX is less intrusive in that matter.
Please tell us your opinions when you get them 
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 19, 2016 at 7:21 PM Post #149 of 2,298
I wonder if pedronet's unit was in fact defective. Those are much more common in the headpone world than people realize, so returning it was a good decision.

The N1 I auditioned doesn't sound like his impression, but instead is very similar to my A2, to the point that the N1 feels like a simple fix for the A2's comfort and ergonomic issues.

Nov 19, 2016 at 7:26 PM Post #150 of 2,298
  I wonder if pedronet's unit was in fact defective. Those are much more common in the headpone world than people realize, so returning it was a good decision.

The N1 I auditioned doesn't sound like his impression, but instead is very similar to my A2, to the point that the N1 feels like a simple fix for the A2's comfort and ergonomic issues.

I have never listened to the A2, but according to what i have read before, it doesn't sound like my description of the N1 at all. Maybe my unit was in fact defective 
confused.gif
 still i don't think i'll order another one.

How do you consider the sub bass? That was my biggest disappointment in my units.

I'm really glad that you're enjoying them 
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back