Sony XBA-N3AP and XBA-N1AP — Impressions thread
Nov 5, 2016 at 3:10 AM Post #106 of 2,298
Hi everyone - long time reader, first post!
My XBA-4ip just died. Well, there is a connection issue near the jack plug and the left one hase gone mute.
How do the XBA-N3 and XBA-N1 compare? I really liked the sharp sound of the 4-driver full BA goodness of the XBA-4. And I also really appreciated the in-line volume control - does a version of the N1/N3 cable exist with the functionality?

thanks everyone!
Olivier

PS: alternatively, did any of you ever got XBA-4 or similar successfully rewired? I'm in London... cheers!

If you want ba goodness look for other earphones. Theseare essentially dynamic earphones with rolled off ba highs

Nov 5, 2016 at 3:13 AM Post #107 of 2,298
Hi
Thanks for your help

Would they still be great for listening to "high dynamic range" music like progressive metal (where there are lows mids and highs playing at the same time or sudden transitions)?
If you tried the xba h1, how are the highs compared with the n1ap?
Sorry for so many questions,I'm still a noob :p
I just hope the highs are at least as good as average in ear headphones

I never tried h1 before. I think for the music you mentioned, it's good to have a transparent,fast balanced armature earphone. You could try the dunu 2000j, they are very good for metal,guitars and cymbals and drums sound good on them

Nov 5, 2016 at 3:16 AM Post #108 of 2,298
Doesn't sound crazy to me. Perhaps I'm biased, but I feel the same: the A3 are the rare breed of headphones that manage to lure you into WANTING to listen to them. They certainly aren't perfect (which headphone is?), but they do reward you with that special, enjoyable experience.

I'm still wavering if I should get the XBA-N3AP, as I'm afraid that they might be a disappointment compared to the XBA-A3. Yet I like the look of the N3AP, and I'd be glad for any encouraging evaluation of the two headphones.

I wrote a post earlier on about the difference,you can check it out. They sound quite different to me, and both are unique earphones.

Nov 7, 2016 at 12:43 PM Post #109 of 2,298
Oh my goodness. Instant love. I will not miss the A3 at all.

936bfb26924ffeca9025e7a213424d5e.jpg

Nov 7, 2016 at 2:18 PM Post #111 of 2,298
Man I love all my Sony IEMs (MDR-EX1000, XBA-300, XBA-Z5) - so now I'm trying NOT to buy these. Anyone who has the ones I mentioned care to comment? I really like the looks of the new lineup because I hate over-ear IEMs. I wonder if the XBA-N3AP comes close to the Z5. If it has even more rolled off treble, though, I'll probably pass. Much prefer the XBA-300s in that sense. 

-Collin-

Edit: read JustJoseph's impressions and I think I have to pass. Sounds like treble is too rolled off for my liking :frowning2:

Nov 7, 2016 at 2:20 PM Post #112 of 2,298
Did you go from the XBA-A3 to the N1AP or was it an upgrade form the older XBA3? If the N1AP sounds similar XBA-A3 it could be an excellent isolating IEM option for out and about, something the XBA-Ax and XBA-Z5 are not as good at.

Nov 7, 2016 at 3:19 PM Post #113 of 2,298
I have the modern XBA-A3.

This is as someone said a "sidegrade". I wouldn't say the N1AP are better, but the bass is quite the same, deep and rich, and again I agree this is a darker sound, but this is exactly what I was waiting for.

The Sony hybrid signature in a tiny and comfortable shape.

They are way way way more comfortable to use instantly, no more stupid Frankenstein, no more feeling ridiculous touching behind my ears if everything is in the right position.

I need more time to refine my opinion about the sound quality but right now streaming Tidal with my LG V10 is a joy. The sound has "body" and the bass is the star here. So this little treasure seems great for pop and electronic music. I'll try tonight with jazz and classical music. With the A3 I enjoyed all kind of music.

The cable is indeed thinner and looks "cheaper"... But what matters in a IEM is sound quality and comfort.

I should say that I am not an expert at all, just I love music and I love portable quality gear.

Nov 8, 2016 at 10:00 AM Post #116 of 2,298
Are the new sony comparable with the psb m4u4? Are the sony IEMs with crossover?
My psb unfortunately were defective and the seller had no longer in stock. There are microphonic problems with the sony cables? You can use the comfortable outside sony in ears go? Or is the convenience of not so good?
Sorry for so much Questions!

Nov 8, 2016 at 10:49 AM Post #117 of 2,298
The more I listen, more surprised.

This N1AP seem even bassier than A3. It's crazy with this size.

So be warned or just rejoice!

what about soundstage/instrument separation VS XBA-A3? i found the stage of A3 was bigger than the one of H3 but Z5 above all else i have tried

Nov 8, 2016 at 11:30 AM Post #118 of 2,298
Hello , i usually dont comment on forums but since this forum helped me a lot i thought i should share as well , just bought the xba n1 q in japan for about 2 weeks i could say after trying the n3 and n1 for numerous times but still thats not enough for to judge on n3 but my verdict on n1 coming from an xb90ex is that the soundstage isnt way larger than the xb90s but its better bass is nearly as good or even punchier but lower sub bass treble is great and the mids are decent as well but the n3 is way better in terms of the mid especially instrument seperation again very good but the n3 adds the edge that makes it feel like a different kind of listening their volume both is loud and for the most part handles all types of music excellently and after some time the n1 darkness faded a little or maybe i got used to it but i like it even more now , so its worth it for me but the n3 is equally worth it too but lacks the bass but i guess eartips could make it more boomy cause they change sound dramatically for the n1 , feel free to ask questions , using the iem on iphone se and macbook air (amazing dac in the macbook) !!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back