Sony XBA-N3AP and XBA-N1AP — Impressions thread
Aug 3, 2023 at 9:44 PM Post #2,191 of 2,318
For me the N3 is comparable to the M7. I listen to both when I’m out depending on the mood and genre.

When it comes to the M9 it’s a no contest. It’s just the best IEM I’ve heard period.
I have the N3 and M7, and I think that the M7 is a notch better than N3 in terms of technicalities. But enjoyment-wise, it depends on the use case haha.

Aug 3, 2023 at 11:30 PM Post #2,192 of 2,318
i see you have a M9 along with N3. if you can only have one, what would you choose and why?

The M9 would be the one that I would keep if I had no choice between the 2.

I actually use the M9 for stage monitoring weekly due to the neutralish profile, top notch imaging and fit and good isolation. So it is not only for music appreciation, but I use it as a tool for audio work.

The N3 is a smooth and bassy L-shaped set, very non-fatiguing and great set to chill to. It isn't too technical, but is a "fun" set to bring around. It has driver flex though and isn't good in isolation.

The M9 on the other hand, is a more expensive and way more technical beast. Warm-neutral, with excellent layering and imaging. Less bass than the N3, but the bass is tighter and doesn't bleed as much as the N3. Also more extended in the treble than the N3.

I see that you have the M7 already, and the M9 is a slight upgrade over it in terms of soundstage and technicalities and treble extension (diminishing returns hit hard as you go higher up the ladder). So not sure if there is great value add for M7 owners to get a M9, you might wanna keep the powder dry for a more substantial upgrade or something that is totally different in tuning?

Aug 3, 2023 at 11:38 PM Post #2,193 of 2,318
I have the N3 and M7, and I think that the M7 is a notch better than N3 in terms of technicalities. But enjoyment-wise, it depends on the use case haha.
Have you tried the IER-M7 with foam yet? Like the MIS T41, INAIRS AIR 1 or Comply T-200?

Because they are completely sealed, if not, give them a try. They will sound much more open, much better bass and no air pressure issues.

Aug 3, 2023 at 11:40 PM Post #2,194 of 2,318
i see you have a M9 along with N3. if you can only have one, what would you choose and why?
I can just confirm what others said. The XBA-N3 is an fun, midclass earphone while the IER-M9 is one of the best things that exist in this planet. They are not even close

Aug 4, 2023 at 2:51 AM Post #2,197 of 2,318
The M9 is indeed more technical, clean, ect. But also is hard to recommend due to its tuning. While warm, it feels flat and balanced. N3 always sounded more engaging. M7 is supposed to be actually balanced… so it depends on what you are looking for. Price makes the n3 a no brained to me.

Aug 4, 2023 at 3:25 AM Post #2,198 of 2,318
The M9 is indeed more technical, clean, ect. But also is hard to recommend due to its tuning. While warm, it feels flat and balanced. N3 always sounded more engaging. M7 is supposed to be actually balanced… so it depends on what you are looking for. Price makes the n3 a no brained to me.
They are not that different imho

graph (9).png

The XBA-N3 has slightly stronger bass, but not that much. It is audible, but its not like the IER-M9 is less fun or they are tuned completely different. It just has slightly less bass but much better bass on the other hand. At least when you listen with foam.

The IER-M7 and IER-M9 are almost identical

graph (10).png

So i see no reason why the IER-M9 is hard to recommend, if you really want that slightly stronger bass, that is easily done with EQ and unlike that, its better in everything.

Aug 4, 2023 at 7:36 AM Post #2,199 of 2,318
I can just confirm what others said. The XBA-N3 is an fun, midclass earphone while the IER-M9 is one of the best things that exist in this planet. They are not even close
Can't believe anyone is talking about N3 in same breath as M9!

The XBA-N3 is the only IEM I bought and sold same day to a work collegue as way to much OTT bloated base. Did nothing for me at all. Couldn't understand the hype.

Aug 4, 2023 at 7:45 AM Post #2,201 of 2,318
M9 isn't flat at all, but you need a good source to let them shine

Aug 4, 2023 at 9:01 AM Post #2,202 of 2,318
general opinion was that the N3 had a better tuning, but the Z5 was deemed to be technically better?
N3 definitely has the better tuning for most people and timbre is better as well, Z5 is more of a niche tuning that is even darker and bassier (looser/slower).

Technically the Z5 only beats the N3 in stage iirc. Its resolution is heavily bottlenecked by its tonality.

Aug 4, 2023 at 9:24 AM Post #2,205 of 2,318
Have you tried the M9/M7 with the Apple dongle? If so, what are your thoughts? I've been thinking about getting a third-party dongle for my iphone but I'm worried about the battery drain when driving the M7.

My current sources are only the ES100 and Apple dongle.
iPhone is an tricky topic. A lot of DACs either don't work on the iPhone or are limited in features/and or Power.

But especially the IER-M9 scales pretty much infinity, so i would save the money for the dongle and rather go directly to an DAP or at least an good portable amp or something like that.

Its not like Dongles are bad, the opposite, but with an iPhone, you are very limited and choice and features. I think there is no company on this planet that hates audiophile products more than Apple.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back