Sony XBA-H1 Pictures and Impressions!
Oct 11, 2013 at 4:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 71

evilking

CAUTION: INCOMPLETE TRADES.
Ordered the new Sony XBA-H1 IEMs yesterday, delivered earlier today. Great service by my local Sony Centre here in the UK, there was free next day delivery to store and phone call to let me when they were ready for collection. Staff were clueless (as usual), they had to google it first before they could find it on the computer, but no big fuss overall.

The XBA-H1 is a hybrid dynamic/BA IEM, with one 9mm dynamic driver and one full-range BA driver. Costs £99 retail direct from Sony, here in the UK.

Just some pics for now and first physical impressions. I have put links to the originals if you want higher res. Sorry about the flash, it's night time and I have energy saving bulbs.

http://i.cubeupload.com/imECe2.jpg

Standard packaging, nothing to say really. Easy to open.

http://i.cubeupload.com/jNLW1H.jpg

XBA-H1 and pouch (also Fiio E07k and CM Storm gaming mouse). Pouch has no zip (!), just a fold of material to keep your IEMs safe. I think that's a little cheap and not suitable at all, anything can go inside, unnecessarily different to other cases. I'm assuming the H2 and H3 will include something more sophisticated.

http://i.cubeupload.com/Y9rCDD.jpg

The body of the XBA-H1 is quite big, due to the dynamic/BA layout inside. Not too big for my ears, if you have small ears definitely check the returns policy (if you are in UK, order online for 7 day distance selling rule). Never had the XBA-4 (I had XBA-3) so can't compare. All plastic construction, as expected. Any amount of metal here would make it too heavy. I'm not that fussed for this price anyway, although, it will be interesting to see if the H3 is all-plastic as well, considering that it will be three times the price.

http://i.cubeupload.com/ZjKj9L.jpg

Another angle, sharper image. XBA-H1 clearly displayed on the outside. The cable is flat and feels good. Time will tell how it stands up to regular use and if there is a memory effect (atrio suffers greatly with this). Not a fan of the red, I like my IEMs understated and all black.

http://i.cubeupload.com/CIvLF0.jpg

The 3.5mm jack, very similar to the XBA-3. Pretty standard.

http://i.cubeupload.com/LMq6jq.jpg

The rest of the package includes extra Sony hybrid tips, with and without foam inserts. Also, a shirt clip (love these!) and a cord winder (never used one).

That's it for now, sound impressions will come over the next few days and a comparison with the Atrio MG7's whenever they come back from repair.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE 13/10/2013

Sorry for the delay, it's been a busy weekend, no hype tactics in play.

Sound update 1:

It's taken a while to get over the Atrio MG7, the bass was truly out of this world. The XBA-H1 is cannot really be described as a bassy IEM when compared to the Atrios, far more balanced. The sound of the hybrid drivers is really something special, all the bass rumble that's missing from the usual array of single or dual BA IEMs, and the balanced signature and lack of obvious flaws that usually plague the cheaper dynamic IEMs. The bass here can be described as above average, only a few DBs higher than is strictly "audiophile", quality is quite good, tracks with multiple bass lines are not muddled or lacking. Dubstep sounds excellent, I always thought this kind of music would be better suited to the insanity-crisis level of sub-bass of the Atrios, but now I realise it was too much. Also, the bass doesn't intrude where it shouldn't, jazz piano and strings sound as they are supposed to, really surprised with this, I can't hear any bleed into the mid-range. Metal and hard rock is perfect, I can't stop listening.

It's tough to review the mids and highs, there simply isn't much to complain about. There are no sharp peaks, no recessed mids, no harshness. Instrument separation is very good overall, maybe some room for improvement in the highs. Detail retrieval is excellent, this definitely due to the BA driver, no muddiness or veil here. The dynamic driver is very well integrated, this isn't a BA+subwoofer deal (remember the super.Fi EB?), it's as if there is no crossover at all. Soundstage is pretty good, not overly broad, but intimate. Definitely a "front row" presentation.

I'm really, really impressed with the signature overall, I can't believe how far budget IEMs have come. I tried really hard in the past to love BA's, tried nearly all of them, the XBA-3 came close but still sounded unnatural and strained. The XBA-H1 sounds effortless, and correct. I'm already looking to pre-order the H2 and H3!

Physical update 1:

Comfort is very good, light and unobtrusive. The size really isn't a problem. They stay in very well, although your ears may vary. Shirt clip + flat cable is incredible, no microphonics at all. isolation is very good, although I haven't put them into a speeding train setting yet, we'll see how they hold up tomorrow morning.

This post will expand over time if I acquire more IEMs to compare them to.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE 14/10/2013 09:00

Just received my replacement Atrios, they are up for sale here: Atrio M5

There will be a lunchtime shootout later today, I will go into detail then.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE 15/10/2013 09:00

It turns out that the "lunchtime shootout" was really a late evening shootout, but it worked out for the best, I spent a lot more time comparing and making notes.

There is no doubt about it, the Atrios are only mildly bassier than the XBA-H1, not the earth shattering amount I had imagined (aural memory is quite poor). The XBA-H1s on the other hand are much more detailed than the Atrios, it's really quite substantial. I can't believe I listened to the Atrios for 6 months and didn't notice how much was pushed into the background. I think I subconsciously accepted the compromise for the price and level/quality of bass, which to be honest is still second to none (in fact I came back to the Atrios after selling back in 2011 because I couldn't find anything better). The H1 still rocks pretty hard in the bass department, it should be enough for bassheads, but I cannot say for sure, it depends on how much bass you want.

If you are choosing between the two, and one isn't heavily discounted for some reason, go with the XBA-H1.

This will be the end of the Atrio comparison, they are up for sale here. I cannot pretend that they have the same value after trashing them as above, so I have cut the price to less than half retail, only £60 delivered for two day old Atrios, in the UK they are normally £125.

I'm looking seriously at the H2 and H3, so I will update soon if/when they arrive.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE 16/10/2013 11:00

Some Q&A:

How about the isolation after you used them in various environments ? There is some vent hole on the H1 ? If yes can you put later a picture where the vent is visible.

Isolation is very good, on par with most BA IEMs and the Atrios. I commute by multiple trains and have no issues.

I cannot see a vent hole.

could you compare H1 to a former XBA iem? best would be the xba 3... I am curious about the bass, if it gets bloated due to the dynamic driver

I can barely remember the XBA-3, so take this with a grain of salt. The XBA-3 was very much "BA" quality bass, better than all single/duals and on par with bass tuned triple driver IEMs. There was no comparison to dynamic driver bass, little rumble, deep but not sub-bass deep, if you know what I mean. The XBA-H1 is very much dynamic driver bass, so is an order of magnitude more bassy than the XBA-3. It depends which type you prefer.

Hope this helps.

Thanks
EK

Oct 11, 2013 at 5:08 PM Post #3 of 71

Oh my those are pretty beefy. I had the XBA40 and those look almost as big.

Good luck with them! Shame about the pouch esp. for the price. Hope the sound makes you forget the pouch and the red :)

Oct 11, 2013 at 6:42 PM Post #6 of 71
Can't wait to read your impressions on them mate! Comparison to the xba3 will also be much appreciated... It'll help set the benchmark.

Oct 12, 2013 at 11:49 AM Post #9 of 71
They look good, hope they sound good. Do they have that terrible J-cord?

They definitely look like they have the Y-split cord from what I can tell, and not the J-cord from the photos.

Also as far as the size is concerned I think they're slightly thicker and longer than the XBA-2, but not quite as large as the XBA-4. XBA-3 was somewhat oval-shaped and these are more rectangular shaped in that regard, except for the slight curvature part where the dynamic driver is housed.

Oct 13, 2013 at 3:46 AM Post #11 of 71
Is it safe to assume that you are enjoying the H1 so much that you haven't been able to write impressions :p  C'mon already, end the suffering and make some hype 
biggrin.gif

Or maybe you are carefully preparing your hype speech, I guess some are hype naturals and others need to get it ready :p

Oct 13, 2013 at 4:08 AM Post #12 of 71
^ Lol!

Oct 13, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #15 of 71
Sorry for the delay, it's been a busy weekend, no hype tactics in play.

Sound update 1:

It's taken a while to get over the Atrio MG7, the bass was truly out of this world. The XBA-H1 is cannot really be described as a bassy IEM when compared to the Atrios, far more balanced. The sound of the hybrid drivers is really something special, all the bass rumble that's missing from the usual array of single or dual BA IEMs, and the balanced signature and lack of obvious flaws that usually plague the cheaper dynamic IEMs. The bass here can be described as above average, only a few DBs higher than is strictly "audiophile", quality is quite good, tracks with multiple bass lines are not muddled or lacking. Dubstep sounds excellent, I always thought this kind of music would be better suited to the insanity-crisis level of sub-bass of the Atrios, but now I realise it was too much. Also, the bass doesn't intrude where it shouldn't, jazz piano and strings sound as they are supposed to, really surprised with this, I can't hear any bleed into the mid-range. Metal and hard rock is perfect, I can't stop listening.

It's tough to review the mids and highs, there simply isn't much to complain about. There are no sharp peaks, no recessed mids, no harshness. Instrument separation is very good overall, maybe some room for improvement in the highs. Detail retrieval is excellent, this definitely due to the BA driver, no muddiness or veil here. The dynamic driver is very well integrated, this isn't a BA+subwoofer deal (remember the super.Fi EB?), it's as if there is no crossover at all. Soundstage is pretty good, not overly broad, but intimate. Definitely a "front row" presentation.

I'm really, really impressed with the signature overall, I can't believe how far budget IEMs have come. I tried really hard in the past to love BA's, tried nearly all of them, the XBA-3 came close but still sounded unnatural and strained. The XBA-H1 sounds effortless, and correct. I'm already looking to pre-order the H2 and H3!

Physical update 1:

Comfort is very good, light and unobtrusive. The size really isn't a problem. They stay in very well, although your ears may vary. Shirt clip + flat cable is incredible, no microphonics at all. isolation is very good, although I haven't put them into a speeding train setting yet, we'll see how they hold up tomorrow morning.

Thanks
EK

Users who are viewing this thread

Back