Sony XBA-H1 and XBA-H3 Hybrid Dynamic and BA IEM
Oct 25, 2013 at 10:49 AM Post #811 of 3,257
Thanks again, Simons.

Now, the Daft Punk songs I've heard, have a "forward" sound on my current headphones. How would you say the Sonys present these:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3bMERyIUWo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRJOk7z4mws

Oct 25, 2013 at 11:25 AM Post #812 of 3,257
More XBA-H3 sound impressions and a short comparison to the XBA-3 after 20 hours of "burn-in":

I don't think these have been changing much since yesterday, bass is still boomy and dominant no matter which test track I choose. Trying to get a better idea of their tonality, I bring the XBA-3 into the mix... and sure enough, these are even closer to the H3 than the XBA-4. There's nothing of the XBA-4's strangely skewed upper frequencies in the H3 and in fact I'd say the latter's mids and highs sound pretty darn close to the XBA-3's. Their bass, however, is good deal more bloated and obnoxious, so I try to equalize it down to XBA-3 levels.

EQed down by -4db @ 80Hz , the H3's bass quantity starts sounding about on par with the XBA-3's and I can finally try to compare their quality, which, to my ears, is somewhat of a mixed bag. On the one hand the H3's dynamic driver adds slightly more natural timbre and effortlessness to the bass range, but strangely enough, even at comparable amplitudes, the H3's bass sounds a tad worse defined and slightly more blurred than the XBA-3's. There's seems to be something odd going on down there, maybe some kind of interference between DD and BAs, idk, but the H3's low end doesn't sound entirely clean and well controlled to these ears.

Once again bringing the EX1000 into the comparison, it's so immediately apparent how different these are to me, much more linear and controlled in bass and overall just leaner, cleaner and more sophisticated.

That said, for those who love the XBA-3 sound, but would like significantly more bass, the XBA-H3 may be the ticket. As someone who thinks the XBA-3 have more than enough bass punch and would rather trade some mid-bass for a little more deep bass extension, I'd say the XBA-H3 are barking up the wrong tree, as they just add an evenly distributed heap of bass on top of what's already there in the XBA-3.

hi james... how would you compare the h3 to other sony offerings such as the 7550/ex800st professional series in sound quality?

Oct 25, 2013 at 11:32 AM Post #813 of 3,257
they have both a really deep and punching bass. which you could not only hear, but also feel in your head. But nevertheless it does not sound forward to me. Its more like "cafe del mar" style to me. LMAO sounds really forward to me, in a sense that you would like to dance and get thrilled.
As far as I tested them now, they are really good for Pop and House. And Songs with a strong Voice, like "Mandy Moore - Only Hope".
But there is one disadvantage, I discovred right now. i.e. "Pendulum - showdown" sounds too clean. as it is really rocking with most headphones it sounds not as "dirty" as I want it to be, so maybe it is not suited for people who are really into metal/rock

Oct 25, 2013 at 2:13 PM Post #814 of 3,257
Received my H3 this morning and despite seeing many pictures I was still shock by their size. First quick listen was quite underwhelming. I didn't like any of the tips provided but the ortofon tips works great and are very comfortable.
I have now  listened through a  varied playlist and forgot I was wearing them and just enjoyed the music. They don't excel or would win a prize for technicality in any area but their overall presentation is somehow very pleasant and enjoyable. Their sound has a nice body and is quite open but lack depth and isn't the most refined or detailed.
I am still quite puzzled by those H3. I think  I need more time...
rolleyes.gif

Oct 25, 2013 at 3:51 PM Post #815 of 3,257
hi james... how would you compare the h3 to other sony offerings such as the 7550/ex800st series in sound quality?

Very similar to the EX1000, though I'd think those are ultimately even better phones than the 7550 (despite their more problematic treble). Anyway, both IEMs bear an uncanny resemblence, the 7550 being just a bit more mid-centric and laid-back in treble. Listening to the 7550 and H3 side by side, the former sound simply cleaner with more coherent tonality, whereas the latter impress with excellent mids/highs separation on the one hand, but disappoint with bloated and somewhat diffuse bass on the other.

Timbre-wise, the only edge the H3 seem to have over the 7550 are cymbals, 'cause their BAs exhibit more metallic shimmer, but pretty much all other instruments sound more natural on the 7550 to my ears. Putting on Mahler's 2nd (final movement), the 7550 win hands down over the H3 in my book. These are such great value for the money, particularly for classical listeners.

But besides classical, I've also listened to both with pop, rock, jazz and electronica and there were some tracks on which the H3 came close, but not a single one on which I ended up preferring the H3 over the 7550.

Oct 25, 2013 at 6:11 PM Post #818 of 3,257
Sony are such teasers, every other hi fi manu seeks to augment and improve and they sprinkle brilliance like a lottery ticket win. The EX 500 - or is that 510?- brilliant little dahling, so let's get the new upgrade line, the XBA-1, woops! The e474 walkman- lovely little 8 gigger, DSEE turning up trumps like a good 'un. Sure the F886 is going to be ever so High fi, early reports say it won't be. The XBA 41- superb at the price, a genuine daily beater- the Sony XBA 90- gosh that's darn good. The EX-1000- world class IEM. The H-3, a Mr Bloaty by what I can tell.

Wot an iconoclast. And now I fear the measly 9mm driver and single BA in the H-1. 40 ohms and a single BA, the stuff of nightmares....

Oct 25, 2013 at 11:40 PM Post #819 of 3,257
  James, try vent blocking, block with tape and then needle hole. 

Awesome! Bass is much better controlled that way and the low end fuzziness is almost completely gone. The H3 still remain bassy phones, but now they start making sense.

Seems you've struck gold, Inks. I need to redo the XBA-3 comparison with blocked vents.

Oct 26, 2013 at 12:59 AM Post #820 of 3,257
Maybe that is why I like the H1 as it has no vents.

Oct 26, 2013 at 1:19 AM Post #821 of 3,257
I have several new headphones on hand plus the H1 and I do think it's a bit bass heavy but in a way that is quite enjoyable. Comparing it to the AKG K545 the extra bass and warmth is enjoyable as is the whole signature. The K545 is a much more balanced sound which is better most of the times but the H1 is just a warm treat. The cool thing is that the BA handles the treble really well so you don't loose out on the high end even though it's warm and lush.

Oct 26, 2013 at 1:34 AM Post #822 of 3,257
d marc0, listening to AC/DC today and Led Zeppelin and I found the bass was OK for both bands. There was a couple songs where is bordered on being to much but it seemed fast enough. The warmth of the headphones signature might be an acquired taste though. Personally I found  the warmth helped take the edge off some of AC/DC's tunes and made some of the Zeppelin tunes sound more immersive but I had other tracks that had the opposite effect. 

Oct 26, 2013 at 2:09 AM Post #823 of 3,257
d marc0, listening to AC/DC today and Led Zeppelin and I found the bass was OK for both bands. There was a couple songs where is bordered on being to much but it seemed fast enough. The warmth of the headphones signature might be an acquired taste though. Personally I found  the warmth helped take the edge off some of AC/DC's tunes and made some of the Zeppelin tunes sound more immersive but I had other tracks that had the opposite effect. 

Thanks mate! That's good news.

Oct 26, 2013 at 4:01 AM Post #824 of 3,257
Awesome! Bass is much better controlled that way and the low end fuzziness is almost completely gone. The H3 still remain bassy phones, but now they start making sense.

Seems you've struck gold, Inks. I need to redo the XBA-3 comparison with blocked vents.

Nice!!! We owe this approach to Rin! He started the whole vent modding trend.

Oct 26, 2013 at 5:55 AM Post #825 of 3,257
a_recording ...... I think maybe you need to get a pair of these H3s then review .... & compare it to the xba 40s , your reviews are good man

Only one person I've read here seems to like them .......... ( or was it 2 ) Surely they must be good!!
( without putting tape on them with pin holes )
Sounds a little funny after paying $500

:Do they have a darkish sound ( like xba 4/40 )
or is it more bright ( so to speak )
:How do they sound when your out and about... On the train etc?
:Do they sound good direct to iphone? ( one guy said it did does anyone 2nd that :) )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back