Sony XBA-H1 and XBA-H3 Hybrid Dynamic and BA IEM
Oct 24, 2013 at 11:03 AM Post #767 of 3,257
I'll guess we'll have to wait for the 24hr plus burn in's. Got the XBA 1 all agog and hated it, clarity with nothing else at all, tinny, treble crud. The H1 seems to have a sound volume body, just hope it works with my Walkman as it has 40 ohms impedance, verses 16 Ohms of my XB 90 ex.

I'll await the burn in's. Hope flies eternal. If I have to slum it with the 90's, so be it.

Oct 24, 2013 at 11:23 AM Post #768 of 3,257
  I'll guess we'll have to wait for the 24hr plus burn in's. Got the XBA 1 all agog and hated it, clarity with nothing else at all, tinny, treble crud. The H1 seems to have a sound volume body, just hope it works with my Walkman as it has 40 ohms impedance, verses 16 Ohms of my XB 90 ex.

I'll await the burn in's. Hope flies eternal. If I have to slum it with the 90's, so be it.

I'd like to hear what you think of the H, I have the XB90's aswell, I'm more interested in knowing how the Bass is (low's) and the high end (treble). 

Oct 24, 2013 at 11:28 AM Post #769 of 3,257

This is probably my biggest gripe with the H1s to be honest, they sound so subpar through my Nexus 4 compared to my PC.

Oct 24, 2013 at 12:39 PM Post #773 of 3,257
And the EX-1000 is even a little slimmer than the mdr-7550. The lenghth of the H30 will never fit into my outer ear.

Oct 24, 2013 at 12:56 PM Post #774 of 3,257
Gawd this thread is simultaneously want the H series a lot and not at all.

Still no sign of them in Australia ;__;

Was sorta joking , I'm going to get some H3s for sure, but maybe not till closer to Christmas
.. hhhhhmm maybe sooner

No sign of them in Australia
Only on eBay going for $530 Aus
Hopefully they might get cheaper as they become more available

Oct 24, 2013 at 1:05 PM Post #775 of 3,257
Some more pics for size comparison (still crappy lighting):

Thanks for the comparision.

I might try out the H1, but just wondering whether I made the wrong choice in getting the EX800st instead of the EX1000.

Oct 24, 2013 at 1:58 PM Post #777 of 3,257
Wow the H3 is huge! The xba4 is pretty fat as well, can anyone compare the xba4 to the H1? I am still considering the xba40 but something tells me the H1 and xba4 are extremely close in sound signature as I hear the 4 has more bass and are darker with a bit bigger soundstage than the xba3 which is exactly what the H1 is.

Oct 24, 2013 at 3:57 PM Post #779 of 3,257
More XBA-H3 sound impressions and a short comparison to the XBA-3 after 20 hours of "burn-in":

I don't think these have been changing much since yesterday, bass is still boomy and dominant no matter which test track I choose. Trying to get a better idea of their tonality, I bring the XBA-3 into the mix... and sure enough, these are even closer to the H3 than the XBA-4. There's nothing of the XBA-4's strangely skewed upper frequencies in the H3 and in fact I'd say the latter's mids and highs sound pretty darn close to the XBA-3's. Their bass, however, is good deal more bloated and obnoxious, so I try to equalize it down to XBA-3 levels.

EQed down by -4db @ 80Hz , the H3's bass quantity starts sounding about on par with the XBA-3's and I can finally try to compare their quality, which, to my ears, is somewhat of a mixed bag. On the one hand the H3's dynamic driver adds slightly more natural timbre and effortlessness to the bass range, but strangely enough, even at comparable amplitudes, the H3's bass sounds a tad worse defined and slightly more blurred than the XBA-3's. There's seems to be something odd going on down there, maybe some kind of interference between DD and BAs, idk, but the H3's low end doesn't sound entirely clean and well controlled to these ears.

Once again bringing the EX1000 into the comparison, it's so immediately apparent how different these are to me, much more linear and controlled in bass and overall just leaner, cleaner and more sophisticated.

That said, for those who love the XBA-3 sound, but would like significantly more bass, the XBA-H3 may be the ticket. As someone who thinks the XBA-3 have more than enough bass punch and would rather trade some mid-bass for a little more deep bass extension, I'd say the XBA-H3 are barking up the wrong tree, as they just add an evenly distributed heap of bass on top of what's already there in the XBA-3.

Oct 24, 2013 at 4:03 PM Post #780 of 3,257
Wow.. Seems like those early Japanese impressions were WAY off the mark. Kinda worried about the new 887 Walkman now :l

Users who are viewing this thread

Back