Sony XBA-H1 and XBA-H3 Hybrid Dynamic and BA IEM
Oct 21, 2013 at 3:31 PM Post #676 of 3,257
if you are comparing them with the XBA, it's has a rather weak bass, but enough to keep the music natural.

Really? I had the XBA 3/4 and found the bass to be weak, the bass was flat, not deep at all. I expected the H1/H3 to be a lot better ?

I sent my XBA-4 back in favour of the XB90EX, the bass is excellent on those, its like having a subwoofer in your ear :p

Oct 21, 2013 at 3:39 PM Post #677 of 3,257
  Really? I had the XBA 3/4 and found the bass to be weak, the bass was flat, not deep at all. I expected the H1/H3 to be a lot better ?

I sent my XBA-4 back in favour of the XB90EX, the bass is excellent on those, its like having a subwoofer in your ear :p

I'm only saying the H series has a weaker bass than the XBA, but this doesn't mean the XBA has very heavy bass, I do agree with you the XB90ex has very heavy bass, they were made for bass, and it's something I don't like, I just like my music the way it was recorded or intended without any modification to the source.

Oct 21, 2013 at 3:43 PM Post #678 of 3,257
XB90EX is muddy, perhaps you mean the H1 has less midbass but actually has more subbass than XBA3/4 which is quite believable as that's how the EX1000s bass is compared to the XBA series.

Oct 21, 2013 at 6:03 PM Post #681 of 3,257
it all depends on the seal that you get with the Sonys. The seal controls the bass. It helps to put a small amount of petroleum jelly or Vaseline on the tips to get them ready for s good seal from the first insertion on. That is what I did with the EX-1000.

Oct 21, 2013 at 8:33 PM Post #683 of 3,257

My XBA-3's have plenty enough bass, but not overbearing. There are two things that are important:
1) As many have said, you need to get a good seal. The silicone on foam tips do a great job of it. But you really have to size it to plug your ear canals well.
2) THese have an impedance lower than the usual dynamic IEM or single armature BA, so they need to be driven well. I've used thenm on DAP's that didn't drive them well and found the bass lacking. Once I plugged in a HP amp, I grinned ear to ear, sounded great. A FiiO E11 does a great job of it, you don't need an amp that drives high impedance cans like a Sennheiser HD600 on up or some of the demanding planar types. My only complaint is a small peak in the treble, not enough to become strident.

Oct 21, 2013 at 11:44 PM Post #684 of 3,257
I'm getting a pair for sure' ( xba h3 )

Luv the xba 4 , had it for a while now, it seems to sound quite a bit better direct from iphone 5 since ios 7 arrived I find myself not using the jds C5 much at all at the moment....

But I think I need a new toy to complement it.. :)

Oct 22, 2013 at 4:17 AM Post #689 of 3,257
More impressions please! I'll be getting my H1 next Monday.

The TDK IE800 came in today and I still have the RE400 in hand as well. One of the 3 will go back (Amazon). I'll do the best comparative I can of the three when they're all in my possession and each have at least 48 hours of music ran through them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back