Sony XBA-H1 and XBA-H3 Hybrid Dynamic and BA IEM
Oct 6, 2013 at 8:54 PM Post #369 of 3,257
Returning to Head-Fi from self-imposed exile with mixed feelings - anticipating great gear but not eager at having to alter budgets. I'm now (somewhat) a speaker guy, owning a pair of Pioneer FS-52 (and borrowing a neighbor's extra stereo until I grab a receiver) - waiting for holiday discounts...

This XBA-H1 seems like the ideal step up from the MDR-EX300 that I so enjoyed, but with none of the opacity that got in the way...
had since then:
Meelec M9... meh
XCape Impressive Ed. - not that impressive (build quality, for one)
Monoprice 8323 SUPER for price but doesn't quite get there (comfort?) and isn't an IEM...
MDR-ZX701(ZX700 with inline control) Glad I bought it and the kind of product for which there is some feeling of pride to own - look, feel, AND sound - most IEM's aren't as easy to show off
biggrin.gif
 - Beautiful sounding and looking but lacks muscle... an IEM with this sound would still be quite good - I'd probably like the sound of CAL! better, but not so much the less-robust build and lower isolation.

>but this H1 looks to check all the check boxes and may even improve on driver cohesion vs T-PEOS H-100... I am very interested in snagging this hybrid.. if budget will allow - it could even persuade me to replace my dead iPod classic with an inexpensive portable!

(all this despite the fact that portable audio in this price-range has a limited life cycle unless excessive care is taken)

and none of these come close to coming close to the floor-standers, but then I can't take them away from home
frown.gif

Even at this moment, my wallet is telling me to stay away from here...

Oct 7, 2013 at 11:45 PM Post #370 of 3,257
Watching.

Oct 8, 2013 at 12:59 PM Post #371 of 3,257
Does anyone think the H1 and H3 will be like the XBA1 and XBA3 in the sense that the 3 is WAY better than the 1?

I am tempted to get the H1 as its pretty cheap considering but I wonder what the sound will be like. Like would it be on par with my current XBA3 or more on par with the XBA1.

Oct 8, 2013 at 4:51 PM Post #373 of 3,257
If the bass on H3 is anything like the XB90 then I can't wait for these to be released. 

I doubt it will be anything like it in quantity, but I expect it to reach as low or even lower and have much better quality to base (as well as the rest of frequency spectrum)

also a bit deeper and wider sound stage would be welcome (not that the xb90ex lacks im this department)

Oct 8, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #374 of 3,257
I doubt it will be anything like it in quantity, but I expect it to reach as low or even lower and have much better quality to base (as well as the rest of frequency spectrum)

also a bit deeper and wider sound stage would be welcome (not that the xb90ex lacks im this department)

Yeah, as long as it goes as low as the 90's I'm happy, after checking the prices though the 3 is too much for me, might have to settle for the 2's.

Oct 8, 2013 at 5:14 PM Post #375 of 3,257
II wonder about the signature of the H3 , sony Uk page states that it has a 16mm dynamic HD super tweeter and it sounds actually like a strange choice for BA's usually cannot produce full bass response so I think this bad boy may sound a little anemic to some ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back