Sony XBA-H1 and XBA-H3 Hybrid Dynamic and BA IEM
Sep 6, 2013 at 9:52 AM Post #77 of 3,257
Interesting.
Hybrids really seem to be the next big thing.

Sep 6, 2013 at 10:17 AM Post #78 of 3,257
EDIT #8: The post finally went through. I win!

Translating this was a bit difficult as I wasn't used to some of the grammar and sentence structure he employed. I would have rather left out a comment or two (particularly one about the fit
tongue.gif
), but I tried to stay as true to the source as possible.

Thanks for translating the post I linked to, I was only able to piece 20% of the info together with Google translate :)

Here's another set of impressions from Kakaku Magazine (Japanese):
http://magazine.kakaku.com/mag/kaden/id=1314/

Relevant info Google translated:

First impression of sound quality

This time, it was possible in new product sneak preview, it was the time short, but to listen to the three models "XBA-H" series, will be published the first impression of the quality of each model. Use the Walkman player, I tried in the sound of Yes, such as "Roundabout".

Become entry-level model in the series "XBA-H1" is a earphone the sound of mid-high range close, enjoy the bright sound like BA driver. By dynamic driver is available, bass began to come out more forcefully. Line of sound is the fine impression when compared to two-level model, but it was felt to be a product with sufficient quality as high-end model.

The "XBA-H2", the sound of low-frequency closer to turn the "XBA-H1". Also received impression that swell to some extent, but due to 13.5mm diameter dynamic driver with a liquid crystal polymer film diaphragm, it's rich bass earphone is comfortable in tight. I was also confirmed SN feeling better than "XBA-H1".

The top-level "XBA-H3", in a word "overwhelming". Very well, high-frequency stretches clean and smooth stop to think about "up there or extend" and the SN in a neutral tone. Wide dynamic range, high resolution feeling. It is superior in massive response of the low-frequency, can you reproduce the dynamic and precise rhythm and bass bass and so on.

In addition, the sound field is wide compared with the "XBA-H1" and "XBA-H2", spread of the sound was Kokochiyoka~tsu. And "XBA-H1", "XBA-H2" can be positioned as a model character is different, but "XBA-H3" is a different thing. Is an earphone that implements the overwhelming sound quality. By the finish to take pride of the "high sound quality among the Sony earphone" is also understandable, I felt that it is a high quality product with a value that exceeds the estimated market price of 37,000 yen. It will likely be a model that gives off a presence among the high-end earphones. Release of October 25, 2013 is fun from now.

Sep 6, 2013 at 3:03 PM Post #79 of 3,257
... just to make you guys freak out even more, any one thinking about getting these then converting them to Customs... there are companies that do that right, make a custom shell for your iem! Seems like that would well... be pretty epic huh? 

Speaking of which SONY why you no make a fancy new headphone :[ 

Sep 6, 2013 at 3:07 PM Post #81 of 3,257
  Considering they use a dynamic driver that would likely be vented and they have mechanical crossovers, i dont see a lot of companies reshelling it to be honest.

Could you imagine what it would be like if some one did? I mean heck I don't know JACK about iems so you know... I'm I guess waiting for the most epic Custom Fit IEM ever and hybrid seems like a nice start [iems don't fit my ears... they are all to damn small] 

Sep 6, 2013 at 4:43 PM Post #84 of 3,257
There has been hybrids for a really long time. The first pair I tried was Ultimate Ears 5eb a few years ago. Is the technology becoming more mature now?

From a sonic response perspective and the existing variety of sound signatures achievable by BA drivers, I don't understand why hybrid could do more than BA driver can do though. It just seems to be a "new factor" product. The pattern of new flagships have been like hype -> let down.

On another matter, I don't think Sony is innovating here at all. As a Sony fan, I would imagine a more aggressive Sony in the 80s would try to put film speakers and new sound technologies into headset from a ground up way, but not messing around with tuning a few flagships every season.  Sony definitely has signs of doing aggressive innovation on their cameras and other things still. I want more. Just saying.. 

Sep 7, 2013 at 12:07 AM Post #87 of 3,257
... just to make you guys freak out even more, any one thinking about getting these then converting them to Customs... there are companies that do that right, make a custom shell for your iem! Seems like that would well... be pretty epic huh? 

Speaking of which SONY why you no make a fancy new headphone :[ 

Actually.. They did! The Sony MDR-1R, and the recently released MDR-10R xD

Sep 7, 2013 at 12:16 AM Post #89 of 3,257
I'm excited by this.  I see Sony pulling down the prices for hybrids with these releases.  Maybe not immediately but after 6 months time when the discounts start rolling in.  This is the kind of competition that benefits the consumer.

Sep 7, 2013 at 12:20 AM Post #90 of 3,257
I'm excited by this.  I see Sony pulling down the prices for hybrids with these releases.  Maybe not immediately but after 6 months time when the discounts start rolling in.  This is the kind of competition that benefits the consumer.

I am hoping for a Christmas sales actually xD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back