Sony XBA-H1 and XBA-H3 Hybrid Dynamic and BA IEM
Aug 3, 2014 at 3:43 AM Post #2,463 of 3,257
Upgrading your headphone is usually more worth it than upgrading your player.

^This

Upgrade your headphones, first, that way you'll appreciate the DAP upgrade down the road :)

Aug 3, 2014 at 8:10 AM Post #2,465 of 3,257
Wow...

I'm re-reviewing my thoughts on the H3 - these kick, HARD, and have a pretty glorious midrange with the Chord Hugo...

Just wish there was a smidgen more treble, then I would actually retire the IE800...

Aug 8, 2014 at 2:05 AM Post #2,470 of 3,257
For me soundstage is also larger, separation is on par,  but I use a DX90 with the H3 and impressions can vary depending on the used DAP and impedance matching.
Any way they are an hybrid IEM and for me it was a clear update compared to the XBA4. The only downside for me is isolation.

Aug 8, 2014 at 9:30 AM Post #2,471 of 3,257
  For me soundstage is also larger, separation is on par,  but I use a DX90 with the H3 and impressions can vary depending on the used DAP and impedance matching.
Any way they are an hybrid IEM and for me it was a clear update compared to the XBA4. The only downside for me is isolation.

The H3 has a 40 Ohm impedance and is easy to impedance match. The XBA-4 on the other hand is, if I remember correctly, 8 Ohms, which usually requires an amp with 1 or less Ohms output impedance to get good damping,.

Aug 8, 2014 at 9:33 AM Post #2,472 of 3,257
The H3 has a 40 Ohm impedance and is easy to impedance match. The XBA-4 on the other hand is, if I remember correctly, 8 Ohms, which usually requires an amp with 1 or less Ohms output impedance to get good damping,.

And the bass region on XBA-4 is extremely hard to drive. The OI can easily affect the SQ of XBA-4. :)

Aug 8, 2014 at 10:05 AM Post #2,473 of 3,257

And the bass region on XBA-4 is extremely hard to drive. The OI can easily affect the SQ of XBA-4.
smily_headphones1.gif

That's what the damping is all about, controlling the bass, which is why I said that one should have 1 or less Ohms output impedance for the XBA-4. I have a pair of XBA-3's which 12 Ohms and requires 1.5 Ohms or less. The XBA-3's bass definitely also suffers from amps with a higher output impedance.

Aug 9, 2014 at 2:44 AM Post #2,474 of 3,257
That's what the damping is all about, controlling the bass, which is why I said that one should have 1 or less Ohms output impedance for the XBA-4. I have a pair of XBA-3's which 12 Ohms and requires 1.5 Ohms or less. The XBA-3's bass definitely also suffers from amps with a higher output impedance.
your damn right! My xba3 sounds like TRASH on my walkman F887 and iPod video but excellent on my filo x3 and ibasso dx90

Aug 9, 2014 at 6:31 AM Post #2,475 of 3,257

They scale relatively well with better amping and source as well. At least now I know I am not the only one who likes the XBA with better source :D

I have briefly tested the XBA-3 and owns XBA-4. They are both really identical with good OI

Users who are viewing this thread

Back