Sony XBA-H1 and XBA-H3 Hybrid Dynamic and BA IEM
Jun 10, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #2,101 of 3,257

Yeah at $25 there's NO way to complain, LOL.

I have to admit I can't see how these are too bassy for anyone. Not that they're bass light, but to my ears they're just, y'know... flattish with maybe a touch more sibilance than I'd prefer, at least out of the box.

actually before i got these i has brainwavz m3 which have almost nil bass so i was not used to better bass.............but anyways i returned these and got a walkman instead,,,,next month i got gr07 mk2 and i think i made a nice decision.

h1 were at 120$ at that time and i got my mk2 for like 140$,,,so i am glad i made that decision anyways.
but yeah if i listened to them now i think the bass was fine,,,it was just i was not prepared at that time

Jun 10, 2014 at 12:04 PM Post #2,102 of 3,257

actually before i got these i has brainwavz m3 which have almost nil bass so i was not used to better bass.............but anyways i returned these and got a walkman instead,,,,next month i got gr07 mk2 and i think i made a nice decision.

h1 were at 120$ at that time and i got my mk2 for like 140$,,,so i am glad i made that decision anyways.
but yeah if i listened to them now i think the bass was fine,,,it was just i was not prepared at that time

Excellent point. My over-ear cans are the Pandoras and the M100 and my last IEMs were the Atrios MG7, all of which are known for power in the bass. The H1 by comparison is very tame at the bottom. If I'd been coming from elsewhere, dang.

Jun 10, 2014 at 12:37 PM Post #2,103 of 3,257

Excellent point. My over-ear cans are the Pandoras and the M100 and my last IEMs were the Atrios MG7, all of which are known for power in the bass. The H1 by comparison is very tame at the bottom. If I'd been coming from elsewhere, dang.

i have pro coppers and gr07 at the moment...............imagine the difference between the two,lol

monsters are like having a woofer in ur ear!!

Jun 10, 2014 at 4:05 PM Post #2,104 of 3,257

Yeah at $25 there's NO way to complain, LOL.

I have to admit I can't see how these are too bassy for anyone. Not that they're bass light, but to my ears they're just, y'know... flattish with maybe a touch more sibilance than I'd prefer, at least out of the box.

That's EXACTLY my feeling... and - because the isolation isn't the best, coupled with wind noise - the bass can often get swallowed. I've just ordered some foam ear plug to make custom tips to see if it helps the bass much.

Jun 10, 2014 at 4:07 PM Post #2,105 of 3,257
  That's EXACTLY my feeling... and - because the isolation isn't the best, coupled with wind noise - the bass can often get swallowed. I've just ordered some foam ear plug to make custom tips to see if it helps the bass much.

Let us know what happens. I've been using the gel-filled tips and thought they isolated decently well. 

Jun 10, 2014 at 4:11 PM Post #2,106 of 3,257
Will do. I've found the normal silicone (small) tips to be the best for me. The hybrids were far too sibilant... These are the first headphones / earphones I've had in a long while (since Pro 900) that have actually got some top end - it's taking a while to get used to.

I think it's about time i upgraded my source from my iPhone. A decent built-in EQ might do wonders. Can anyone comment how these react to boosting the bottom-end from a decent DAP? 

I'm going to fire up Cubase 7 and get a warm parametric EQ on for a tester. I think I'll get different results outdoors, though.

Jun 10, 2014 at 4:30 PM Post #2,108 of 3,257
  Will do. I've found the normal silicone (small) tips to be the best for me. The hybrids were far too sibilant... These are the first headphones / earphones I've had in a long while (since Pro 900) that have actually got some top end - it's taking a while to get used to.

I think it's about time i upgraded my source from my iPhone. A decent built-in EQ might do wonders. Can anyone comment how these react to boosting the bottom-end from a decent DAP? 

I'm going to fire up Cubase 7 and get a warm parametric EQ on for a tester. I think I'll get different results outdoors, though.

Neutron MP which has a parametric EQ is now avaliable on IOS. Perhaps that can save your iPhone. Unlike the XBA-3 or XBA-4, the impedance of the H1 or H3 is friendly for all iPhones.

Jun 10, 2014 at 4:43 PM Post #2,109 of 3,257
Interesting that you said the hybrids were sibilant. I actually hadn't tried the standard silicones since I figured the hybrids would offer the right isolation by virtue of that gel insert.

Plugged into a Macbook Pro they're... really nice. I find the kick drums and bass guitar gets a lot of work in, there's nothing lacking. I think I've gotten lucky in that my ears are almost exactly "medium standard ear tip sized". I've not gone through a WHOLE lot of IEMs, but the ones I have tried always seemed to seal just fine. 

If the Comply make these wake up any further I can say that I'd have no reason to upgrade again because my main devices are my big over-ear cans, these are for the few instances I can't use those. 

Jun 10, 2014 at 5:11 PM Post #2,110 of 3,257
  Neutron MP which has a parametric EQ is now avaliable on IOS. Perhaps that can save your iPhone. Unlike the XBA-3 or XBA-4, the impedance of the H1 or H3 is friendly for all iPhones.

For £2.99 I'll give it a go. Especially useful since I have 8 hours of travelling tomorrow! I still think I'll update my DAP at the end of the month. Something with expandable memory.

Due a phone upgrade then, too, but it costs a small fortune to get a higher memory on contract. I'd much rather wait for an iPhone 6 which is just 16gb and pay for SD cards on a DAP

Jun 10, 2014 at 5:12 PM Post #2,111 of 3,257
  Interesting that you said the hybrids were sibilant. I actually hadn't tried the standard silicones since I figured the hybrids would offer the right isolation by virtue of that gel insert.

Plugged into a Macbook Pro they're... really nice. I find the kick drums and bass guitar gets a lot of work in, there's nothing lacking. I think I've gotten lucky in that my ears are almost exactly "medium standard ear tip sized". I've not gone through a WHOLE lot of IEMs, but the ones I have tried always seemed to seal just fine. 

If the Comply make these wake up any further I can say that I'd have no reason to upgrade again because my main devices are my big over-ear cans, these are for the few instances I can't use those. 

I must admit that I've got small ear canals. The best fit I've ever had was the small double-flange tips with the IE8(0). Amazing isolation, amazing sound... uncomfortable after a few hours, though. The XBA foam tips (even small) kept coming loose.

I was going to get some Complys, having never tried them before, but too many people complain they fall apart. Thought I'd take a punt on some cheap ear plugs from Amazon.

Jun 10, 2014 at 5:15 PM Post #2,112 of 3,257
  For £2.99 I'll give it a go. Especially useful since I have 8 hours of travelling tomorrow! I still think I'll update my DAP at the end of the month. Something with expandable memory.

Due a phone upgrade then, too, but it costs a small fortune to get a higher memory on contract. I'd much rather wait for an iPhone 6 which is just 16gb and pay for SD cards on a DAP

You'll have to get used to the user interface. The SQ is first rate and the parametric EQ works rather nicely.

Jun 10, 2014 at 5:19 PM Post #2,113 of 3,257
  You'll have to get used to the user interface. The SQ is first rate and the parametric EQ works rather nicely.

Downloading now... I'll get to try it out over a long period on a train tomorrow with a fair bit of ambient noise. Should make a decent test 
bigsmile_face.gif

Jun 11, 2014 at 1:29 AM Post #2,114 of 3,257
So the Comply 500 fit these. I'll keep it short. Use them if you have them.

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back