Sony XBA-H1 and XBA-H3 Hybrid Dynamic and BA IEM
May 22, 2014 at 6:25 PM Post #2,026 of 3,257
  So, are the XBA-H3s an upgrade or sidegrade to XBA-4/40?

I think it's a clear upgrade over the XBA-40 in terms of clarity, but it is also a fairly different signature at the same time. Not quite as smooth and lush sounding to me.

May 23, 2014 at 3:43 AM Post #2,027 of 3,257
I've been following these IEM's for no good reason at all... Would anyone be able to give their opinion on how the sound signature compares to the MDR-1R?  I'm imagining the same fundamental Sony house sound in a smaller package.

May 25, 2014 at 4:04 AM Post #2,029 of 3,257
Their reception is certainly why I'm interested, a bit more so now that I sat on my CKM500's and have them clamped waiting for the glue to dry.  I'm just looking to put their sound into a perspective that I'm familiar with :).

May 25, 2014 at 7:03 AM Post #2,030 of 3,257
I feel like the H3 is fairly different in signature from the MDR-1R. More sub-bass, less mid-bass, more of a V-shaped sound overall. 

I'm absolutely loving the sound, but the fit is proving to be a big bugbear. Still at the current Amazon prices I think it is an absolute steal (provided you are aware that you are going to get a bit of an ergonomic monstrosity). 

May 25, 2014 at 7:45 PM Post #2,032 of 3,257
Just a small update on the the sensation I get from listening to these. 

Everything usually had this sensation of "distance", but lately, the voices on these have stopped "hitting" my ears. It's like I can hear the voices, but my ears don't physically "feel" them as much as before. I'm not talking about the emotion from the music; I'm talking about listening fatigue. 

-Something similar has happened with the bass. It feels "bigger" in terms of how far it reaches across the soundscape [Not necessarily in terms of how loud it is]. The sensation I get right now with any song is that the bass is slightly hitting my jaw whenever it rumbles. 

Before, I'd agree that the H3 had a "wide" soundscape, but not necessarily a deep one. 

Well, now it sounds to me like the bass is "extended"; more surrounding. Although, the sensation is that the rumble comes from the bottom up. 

Could be classic brain burn-in, though. This is not really reliable, since I'm technically listening out for these changes and confirming them right now. But, maybe someone with the same mileage on the H3 might be able to confirm this. 

May 25, 2014 at 8:20 PM Post #2,033 of 3,257

Everything usually had this sensation of "distance", but lately, the voices on these have stopped "hitting" my ears. It's like I can hear the voices, but my ears don't physically "feel" them as much as before. I'm not talking about the emotion from the music; I'm talking about listening fatigue. 

-Something similar has happened with the bass. It feels "bigger" in terms of how far it reaches across the soundscape [Not necessarily in terms of how loud it is]. The sensation I get right now with any song is that the bass is slightly hitting my jaw whenever it rumbles. 

Before, I'd agree that the H3 had a "wide" soundscape, but not necessarily a deep one. 

Well, now it sounds to me like the bass is "extended"; more surrounding. Although, the sensation is that the rumble comes from the bottom up. 

Could be classic brain burn-in, though. This is not really reliable, since I'm technically listening out for these changes and confirming them right now. But, maybe someone with the same mileage on the H3 might be able to confirm this. 

Good to know, I have an ex600 which I like quite a lot, the h3 seems good as an upgrade to me, not yet.
On your h3, which amp or cap are you using with? And how many time or hours have your h3?

May 25, 2014 at 11:57 PM Post #2,035 of 3,257

I understand how you feel... I have a 4 months old H3 which already on 300+ hours burn in (ears + midnight run). The bass feels extended and much much less boomy, I'm glad my H3 has matured well in terms of overall SQ. Adding silver (spc or pure) will push it even further by extracting more micro details from bass to treble. 

I'm rotating IEMs daily with Fitear 334, H3, EX1000 and sometimes Triplefi 10 with 2 hours average listening per day, first two are the most frequently used. I can say H3 has a quality way beyond it's price. And if my fitear went for servicing, H3 will be my next top choice. No doubt.

May 26, 2014 at 12:06 AM Post #2,036 of 3,257
I understand that how you feel... I have a 4 months old H3 which already on 300+ hours burn in (ears + midnight run). The bass feels extended and much much less boomy, I'm glad my H3 has matured well in terms of overall SQ. Adding silver (spc or pure) will push it even further by extracting more micro details from bass to treble. 

I'm rotating IEMs daily with Fitear 334, H3, EX1000 and sometimes Triplefi 10 with 2 hours average listening per day, first two are the most frequently used. I can say H3 has a quality way beyond it's price. And if my fitear went for servicing, H3 will be my next top choice. No doubt.

Having the ex1000, does the h3 reach the ex1000 bass extension?
Haven't listen the h3 so I don't know if thy are a real upgrade to the ex1000, which I love overall in sound signature and frequency response

May 26, 2014 at 2:02 AM Post #2,037 of 3,257
From what I can surmise, the 1000 hasn't gifted the H3 with it's driver, so it might be of slightly higher quality though they are both liquid polymer.There's no harshness with the treble with the H3.It's bass does go deep, but as deep? 

May 26, 2014 at 3:45 AM Post #2,038 of 3,257
Having the ex1000, does the h3 reach the ex1000 bass extension?
Haven't listen the h3 so I don't know if thy are a real upgrade to the ex1000, which I love overall in sound signature and frequency response

I'm sure EX1000 bass does go deeper (again, not necessarily louder) but somehow it is inaccessible for outdoor use. That well burned-in H3 mid bass is so fun and controlled which makes one feel surrounded. In summary, EX1000 may sounds accurate to audiophile but could be thin-sounding and that annoying treble peak.... 

Give it a try, you may be surprised. Coming from TF10, the H3 straight away impressed me the first time I heard it. Though I have to convince myself to buy it a couple times despite the huge housing. 

May 26, 2014 at 4:34 AM Post #2,039 of 3,257
I'm looking at the frequency graphs on XBA H3 done by GoldenEars, Sonove and Personalaudio.ru .

http://en.goldenears.net/26285
http://sonove.angry.jp/SONY_XBA_H3.html
http://personalaudio.ru/raa/otchety/naushniki/sony-xba-h3/

GoldenEars is the outlier while Sonove & personalaudio.ru seem to agree. But I'm still not sure which of the 3 sites mentioned above best represents H3's.

May 26, 2014 at 5:14 AM Post #2,040 of 3,257
I'm looking at the frequency graphs on XBA H3 done by GoldenEars, Sonove and Personalaudio.ru .

http://en.goldenears.net/26285
http://sonove.angry.jp/SONY_XBA_H3.html
http://personalaudio.ru/raa/otchety/naushniki/sony-xba-h3/

GoldenEars is the outlier while Sonove & personalaudio.ru seem to agree. But I'm still not sure which of the 3 sites mentioned above best represents H3's.

i think GE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back