Sony XBA-H1 and XBA-H3 Hybrid Dynamic and BA IEM
Feb 18, 2014 at 7:53 PM Post #1,636 of 3,257
The closest things I've heard to Jazz are songs by Frank Sinatra, Billy Paul, and hip-hop jazz. So far to me, everything I've heard from it has it's own atmosphere, and some recordings will sound bigger than others. 

Based on that, I would recommend the H3 to you, and if you can afford it (Heck, you have amps and everything) you should go for it. 

I can't compare these to the Dunu 1000. The best I could do for you is listen to some songs you recommend and try to communicate what I'm hearing. 

Feb 18, 2014 at 9:17 PM Post #1,637 of 3,257
Just got my H1 in today!  Out of the box they sound pretty good with just an iPod 5g and lossless iTunes.  Could use a touch more bass.  But they're a lot of fun so I'll over look it for now.  After they break in, I'm sure they'll sound even better.  Keepers for sure

Feb 19, 2014 at 4:24 AM Post #1,638 of 3,257
The closest things I've heard to Jazz are songs by Frank Sinatra, Billy Paul, and hip-hop jazz. So far to me, everything I've heard from it has it's own atmosphere, and some recordings will sound bigger than others. 

Based on that, I would recommend the H3 to you, and if you can afford it (Heck, you have amps and everything) you should go for it. 

I can't compare these to the Dunu 1000. The best I could do for you is listen to some songs you recommend and try to communicate what I'm hearing. 

Thanks! I don't have any amps, only the player itself.

For example, I would appreciate if you could try So What by Miles Davis as an example.

Feb 19, 2014 at 9:35 AM Post #1,639 of 3,257
Thanks! I don't have any amps, only the player itself.

For example, I would appreciate if you could try So What by Miles Davis as an example.

I pleased myself by listening to So What recorded live at the Olympia in Paris for you. It sounds good on the XBA-H3. But on the EX-1000 it knocks you of your socks. Miles Davies is EX-1000 terretory. Full stop.

Feb 19, 2014 at 12:16 PM Post #1,640 of 3,257
I pleased myself by listening to So What recorded live at the Olympia in Paris for you. It sounds good on the XBA-H3. But on the EX-1000 it knocks you of your socks. Miles Davies is EX-1000 terretory. Full stop.

Thanks a lot! It's a pity they're still very expensive...

Feb 19, 2014 at 12:25 PM Post #1,641 of 3,257
But you know, Miles can cut you into pieces at times..... It is worth it.

Feb 19, 2014 at 1:24 PM Post #1,642 of 3,257
But you know, Miles can cut you into pieces at times..... It is worth it.

Miles is unparalleled.

I'll see if I can find them used and how they work with iBasso DX50.

I see you have both top-notch in-ears from Sony - may you please tell a bit more on how they differ in general?

Feb 19, 2014 at 3:13 PM Post #1,643 of 3,257
Feb 19, 2014 at 3:19 PM Post #1,644 of 3,257
Very useful, thanks!

Probably will go ahead with XBA-H3, I guess. Will see where the price is more affordable.

Feb 20, 2014 at 7:22 AM Post #1,645 of 3,257
Hiya I got my H3s from Amazon.fr for 199 Euro, which appears to be the cheapest anywhere in the world as far as I can tell.

Out of the box they are really go BOOM. Coming from Hifiman HE500s, they subjectively sound like they have waaay more bass. To the point of unlistenability.

After the tape mod they are still boomy and the (low treble?) still slightly recessed.

So, had a play with the parametric eq, and settled -3.6 db at at 128 hz with a bandwidth of 3.5 octaves (0.32 Q factor).

And also +4 db at 2.8 khz. Now sounds very good!

In my opinion this still leaves plenty of bass but sounds much more balanced/musical to my ears. Maybe I am just bass shy or something.

This is without burn in though. If the bass gets more controlled after burn in I will re-assess.

Feb 21, 2014 at 7:57 PM Post #1,647 of 3,257
I just acquired the Sony XBA H3.  Before owning the H3, I was using the Sony EX1000 IEM for about 9 months. The sound quality are quite good overall. I like for its bass sound quality and the Mids are adequate. The treble are good but roll off.
Now, for the XBA H3, it's a monster compared to the EX1000 period!! After listening to the H3, I'm not going back to the EX1000 maybe for good? The first thing that the H3 impressed me was its much wider and depth sound stage!! It can pushed the high notes much much higher on the curve. Due to this, now the high notes have sparkle treble but not piercing treble so to speak.
The H3 excels in presenting the singer's voice in full rich details and it doesn't stopped there. It projects the singer forward...slightly in front of you and elevated. The bass has more fuller bodied to it. It can goes deep, impactful and fast when the music calls for it. It is not a bass-head type of IEM however.
No doubt, this H3 is a high quality IEM that deserves some serious attentions from music lovers or audiophiles alike.
To me, Sony has combined the EX1000's 16mm dynamic driver with the armature drivers of the XBA 4 and improved it and made it better.

Feb 21, 2014 at 8:32 PM Post #1,648 of 3,257
Feb 21, 2014 at 10:08 PM Post #1,649 of 3,257
  The 16mm driver inevitably will make them look that way. That's actually as slim as you can get for such a big driver. 
Looks like they're now using MMCX connectors, like Shure, UE and Westone. 

EX1000 had the best bass in an IEM, now if Sony can manage to use that bass and improve on the high and mids, which were a bit disappointing in the EX1000s, then we have a winner. Hybrid designs are very hard to do, I have yet to hear a hybrid that even comes close to the K3003, these can even surpass them...let's see. 

I also own the EX1000 and now the XBA H3. Yes, they improved on the mids and high notes tremendously. Resulting wider and some depth sound stage. Bass....oh yes the bass has improved also. It is more fuller solid bass and can extended to lower lows.
I'm in love with this all new XBA H3 right now. Money well spent lol

Feb 21, 2014 at 10:15 PM Post #1,650 of 3,257

That's to control the air movement on the back of the diaphragm, which directly affects the bass response of the driver.

Spot-on there mate
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back