Sony XBA-H1 and XBA-H3 Hybrid Dynamic and BA IEM
Nov 28, 2013 at 5:37 PM Post #1,174 of 3,257
  The XBA2 got lousy reviews, Swimsonny, with the cleanest lugs in the business, really disliked them.

I just looked up Swimsonny's review of the XBA-2.  This sentence started his conclusion.

"As their first line of earphones with BA drivers I am really rather impressed and although my other dual Bas are better these are actually rather enjoyable and do deliver a good bassy sound. "

Do you think that he did not believe what he wrote?  I have the XBA-2's and while they may not be the best IEMs on the planet, I agree with Swimsonny's review.  I rather like them, wishing for a bit more treble - but I usually wish for a bit more treble.  

Nov 28, 2013 at 11:46 PM Post #1,175 of 3,257
  The XBA2 got lousy reviews, Swimsonny, with the cleanest lugs in the business, really disliked them.

Seems his slate wasn't quite as clean as his lugs.
wink.gif

Nov 29, 2013 at 3:41 AM Post #1,178 of 3,257
Are the H3s getting any better? Does any particular combination (DAC/AMP) make them shine?  Still vent modded?

They're not getting better per se, but with tamed bass and a matching source, they become serious top tier contenders.

The vent mod is mandatory in my book, to get a halfway decent sound balance. They remain still a bit darkish after that and pair best with a bright source. And they love power.

My favorite pairing out of what I own is Sony A845 (bright DAP) + GS Voyager amp + vent modded H3. This combo sounds excellent and at eye level with my best IEMs.

Another excellent pairing is FiiO X3 (bass setting on -2) + vent modded H3. The X3 has hardware based bass/treble adjustment which doesn't impair sound quality. But sadly it has an issue with mp3 decoding that's annoying with classical music (most of my stuff is mp3), so I end up using the X3 less often than I'd like. But for those who use flac it's a highly recommendable source for the H3s.

Nov 29, 2013 at 7:39 AM Post #1,179 of 3,257
My XBA-H1 just arrived, and let me just say, I am in heaven. They don't even need any burning, I just put them on and they're already really good. I was using XB41EX (bought XB90EX too, but didn't like it) and H1 is a good upgrade imo. Bought them for £62.
By the way, in case anyone is worried about that, my puny Walkmans (A series and S series) are powerful enough to work it. Gonna try them with my computer now and F886 when it arrives.

Nov 29, 2013 at 11:01 AM Post #1,181 of 3,257
Which A series do you own?

Nov 29, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #1,182 of 3,257
  My XBA-H1 just arrived, and let me just say, I am in heaven. They don't even need any burning, I just put them on and they're already really good. I was using XB41EX (bought XB90EX too, but didn't like it) and H1 is a good upgrade imo. Bought them for £62.
By the way, in case anyone is worried about that, my puny Walkmans (A series and S series) are powerful enough to work it. Gonna try them with my computer now and F886 when it arrives.

How is the bass compared to the XB41/90 ?

Nov 29, 2013 at 12:32 PM Post #1,183 of 3,257

How is the bass compared to the XB41/90 ?

Never liked the XB90 from the beginning, so I'm gonna compare it with XB41 (but I'd say H1 has more audible bass than XB90 and a lot more comfortable, less isolation though).

Separately speaking, bass is pretty much the same in both. H1 does its job nicely, bass is clear and audible, it's not muddy and doesn't overwhelm other instruments. But, generally speaking, 41's sound sig is still bassier than H1, H1 has more treble and a little bit more detail.

Nov 29, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #1,184 of 3,257

Never liked the XB90 from the beginning, so I'm gonna compare it with XB41 (but I'd say H1 has more audible bass than XB90 and a lot more comfortable, less isolation though).

Separately speaking, bass is pretty much the same in both. H1 does its job nicely, bass is clear and audible, it's not muddy and doesn't overwhelm other instruments. But, generally speaking, 41's sound sig is still bassier than H1, H1 has more treble and a little bit more detail.

Thanks for the reply, so it sounds like an upgrade then, I'm just after a bit more clarity and treble without losing the bass response of the XB90. I might just get the H1 and try it out, or I might wait a few months and grab the H3's. 

Nov 29, 2013 at 12:42 PM Post #1,185 of 3,257

Thanks for the reply, so it sounds like an upgrade then, I'm just after a bit more clarity and treble without losing the bass response of the XB90. I might just get the H1 and try it out, or I might wait a few months and grab the H3's. 

Keep that in mind that I do not like XB90, but people who do like it, doesn't really think H1 is an upgrade. Just fyi
wink.gif
(But in my opinion, hell yeah it's an upgrade!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back