Sony XBA-H1 and XBA-H3 Hybrid Dynamic and BA IEM
Feb 17, 2016 at 2:18 AM Post #3,211 of 3,257

I thought H3 were great, I really enjoyed them and understood them though my natural preference leans for something brighter by default.

This isn't to say I completely understood H3. I think not only are they a great design/build, also competent sound quality.

I can tell you exactly what happened to my old pair. I listed them on eBay for a few weeks at a fixed price, no one was interested. I then became impatient trying my luck at auction. They sold at auction for $170 ($30 less than I paid used) which was disappointing (I expected more). The member who won them (an eBay seller) then relisted them for about $370 AUD to flip them. Last I saw them was browsing through eBay for many weeks at that same price then they just disappeared...

The life of a used Sony H3.  
popcorn.gif

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, H20. I've had mine for two years, now! 
biggrin.gif

Mar 31, 2016 at 3:08 PM Post #3,212 of 3,257
Hi, all.

After my IE80s took a trip through the washing machine, I thought I'd try out something different and bought a pair of XBA-H3s and got my hands on them on Tuesday. I really want to like this IEM but I just find that high end way too much! Almost like they're trying too hard to show off that "super tweeter". I never considered myself as someone that avoided treble but I find it really over-emphasises the sibilant sounds in lyrics to the point it's borderline offensive to my ears. On the majority of tracks, it's not too bad but there's a few that... well they spoil it for me.

I really do enjoy the bass they produce, the lower end has some nice authority to it without killing anything else and I haven't had too much problem with the mid-bass they offer as well.

I think I read that impedance wasn't an issue with these but I basically just can't listen to them via my PC's sound card (Xonar D2X) or an old Sony hifi amp I've got on my desk. Mid range seems much more and the lower end goes on vacation. I'm using a Topping NX2 headphone amp/DAC instead. It's not extravagant but the best I can do right now.

I'm using the medium sized silicone tips which I find start to get uncomfortable after 1-2 hours. The others don't fit as well and the hybrid tips feel too firm and uncomfortable.

After reading some of the things here, I sometimes wonder if I've got the same pair of 'phones! I'd be interested to hear any of your comments on my experience so far. I'm seriously considering trying to return them.

Mar 31, 2016 at 3:56 PM Post #3,213 of 3,257
  Hi, all.

After my IE80s took a trip through the washing machine, I thought I'd try out something different and bought a pair of XBA-H3s and got my hands on them on Tuesday. I really want to like this IEM but I just find that high end way too much! Almost like they're trying too hard to show off that "super tweeter". I never considered myself as someone that avoided treble but I find it really over-emphasises the sibilant sounds in lyrics to the point it's borderline offensive to my ears. On the majority of tracks, it's not too bad but there's a few that... well they spoil it for me.

I really do enjoy the bass they produce, the lower end has some nice authority to it without killing anything else and I haven't had too much problem with the mid-bass they offer as well.

I think I read that impedance wasn't an issue with these but I basically just can't listen to them via my PC's sound card (Xonar D2X) or an old Sony hifi amp I've got on my desk. Mid range seems much more and the lower end goes on vacation. I'm using a Topping NX2 headphone amp/DAC instead. It's not extravagant but the best I can do right now.

I'm using the medium sized silicone tips which I find start to get uncomfortable after 1-2 hours. The others don't fit as well and the hybrid tips feel too firm and uncomfortable.

After reading some of the things here, I sometimes wonder if I've got the same pair of 'phones! I'd be interested to hear any of your comments on my experience so far. I'm seriously considering trying to return them.

Get the XBA-A3 instead

Apr 1, 2016 at 2:14 AM Post #3,214 of 3,257
Never had a problem with my H3's treble, in fact,it's it's central calling card, along with the bass. It has mids, somewhere, but it's still my go to after two years, the sound 'essence'- I'm too lazy to list all the SS details- is still pleasingly formidable.

Apr 1, 2016 at 5:19 PM Post #3,215 of 3,257
Found that I happened to have some Comply foam tips in a drawer and they've helped a little bit. There's a bit more bass and the treble a little less sharp so maybe the stock tips don't seal so well for me. Still, they're not for me, I think.

I'll have a look at the XBA-A3 :)

Apr 1, 2016 at 5:35 PM Post #3,216 of 3,257
  Found that I happened to have some Comply foam tips in a drawer and they've helped a little bit. There's a bit more bass and the treble a little less sharp so maybe the stock tips don't seal so well for me. Still, they're not for me, I think.

I found the H3 to osund "hollow" or like being played in a tiled bathroom or pipe drain

The A3 are so quasi balanced in SQ very nice sound... they do have powerful bass but is more controlled and deeper

Apr 4, 2016 at 8:12 AM Post #3,217 of 3,257

I suggest the Z5 as the treble is softer and the mids more pronounced producing the least v shaped signature of Sony lineup. It also has the most holographic imaging of any IEM I have ever owned.

May 14, 2016 at 3:00 PM Post #3,218 of 3,257
I really love the h3 I never understood all the hate, honestly I hate boomy and flabby bass I do. My h3 is great! The bass never over steps where the music doesn't have it. And the treble is so damn good

The only thing I can maybe complain about is a slightly recessed midrange, but hey that's the personality of the sound and it gets along GREAT with a lot of music

They are pretty big but dude come on it's not a fashion show its head fi lol this is geek central! I would never dare to explain half this stuff to most people

Jul 4, 2016 at 2:19 AM Post #3,223 of 3,257
I don't expect this thread to come back to life anytime soon. I got the XBA-H1 because my Hifiman RE-600s went on the fritz and I needed an inexpensive but good preforming pair for air travel. Best Buy and Amazon are selling these brand new for $75 at the moment. Anyway, I probably can't add anything to the discussion that would be considered new. The H1s rely on a good fit and after some burn in I found them to provide good detail. It is a tad too v-shaped for my liking, but EQing the mids up a tad puts it in what I would consider the sweet spot. One thing I can't change though is that the sound stage is incredibly intimate. Nice width, almost claustrophobically close and imaging isn't the best.

Overall, I was almost tempted to return them just because the native sound sig was so close to perfect but not quite and how close it was to perfection ended up irritating me more than if it was just full stop v-shaped. But the EQ solution helped fix that.

Jul 7, 2016 at 9:21 AM Post #3,224 of 3,257
I have a feeling the tweeter BA in my left earbud (XBA-H3) is broken, there's a very clear difference in sound between left and right and left is just lacking all clarity now. Has anyone else experienced this?

Jul 7, 2016 at 1:08 PM Post #3,225 of 3,257
I have a feeling the tweeter BA in my left earbud (XBA-H3) is broken, there's a very clear difference in sound between left and right and left is just lacking all clarity now. Has anyone else experienced this?

Sorry about your misfortune man. You may want to contact Sony and see if anything can be done. Warranty is super short on these but doesn't hurt to try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back