SONY XBA-4 vs new XBA-40?
Dec 29, 2012 at 1:35 PM Post #17 of 129
Quote:
they're all specifying the impedance @ 1khz though, so that's pretty strange...

China must be measuring both channels in series. The tip and first ring. LOL
wink_face.gif

Jan 16, 2013 at 3:17 AM Post #19 of 129
I'll give this thread a bump as I too would like to know if there is any difference in the actual sound between the two. I'm now pretty convinced not to get the XBA-4 due to frequent mentions of tonal incoherence, harsh/metallic treble and an unnatural tinge to the mids. I know that they respond differently to different sources but it seems hit and miss as to which sources do well and I prefer not to take that chance. Do the XBA-40s improve on the XBA-4s shortcomings?

Jan 18, 2013 at 12:38 AM Post #21 of 129
I just bought Sony XBA 40 , the sound quality is different from XBA 4

Source : iPhone 4 s
Dac amp : go dap x LME upgrade version
Iem : XBA 40

High : is not so peak / harsh like Sony XBA 4
Smooth , detail

Mid : forward and sweet sounding mid and very clean too compare to XBA 4

Bass : detail , speed very good and clean sounding bass compare to XBA 4

Separation : very good and better than XBA 4

Soundstage : wider than XBA 4

Tonal balance : better tonal balance than XBA 4

Conclusion : sound zig is different to XBA 4 , high not do harsh
Very sweet mid and very good and clean bass
For long listening is very good and is not fatigue to ears

Sound zig like my Westone 4 with better clarity and tonal balance
If you like westone 4 , it is an upgrade from westone 4

This is my personal opinion

Jan 18, 2013 at 12:46 AM Post #22 of 129
I just bought Sony XBA 40 , the sound quality is different from XBA 4

Source : iPhone 4 s
Dac amp : go dap x LME upgrade version
Iem : XBA 40

High : is not so peak / harsh like Sony XBA 4
Smooth , detail

Mid : forward and sweet sounding mid and very clean too compare to XBA 4

Bass : detail , speed very good and clean sounding bass compare to XBA 4

Separation : very good and better than XBA 4

Soundstage : wider than XBA 4

Tonal balance : better tonal balance than XBA 4

Conclusion : sound zig is different to XBA 4 , high not do harsh
Very sweet mid and very good and clean bass
For long listening is very good and is not fatigue to ears

Sound zig like my Westone 4 with better clarity and tonal balance
If you like westone 4 , it is an upgrade from westone 4

This is my personal opinion

Thanks a lot rudi! Now i'm an inch closer to those XBA-30s. 
I don't know what to make of this. A graph for the XBA-10 vs the XBA-1 doesnt show a big difference.

Jan 18, 2013 at 3:10 AM Post #23 of 129
^^ sometimes graph can not has the same in the praxis :D
Maybe the impedance different and cable can make the different SQ , if really Sony use the Sam driver units .
But in the high frequency is a big different , I don't think they use same driver unit , who knows ?
Only Sony know about this issue :D

Jan 18, 2013 at 3:29 AM Post #24 of 129
That's exactly why i'm waiting for more comparisons. I trust reviews more than graphs I don't have the experience of reading 
tongue_smile.gif

Truth be told i'm just waiting for their release in North America or some more comparisons before I buy them off Tenso. The first IEM I bought that I found out from head-fi were the XBA-1s and it was a completely different world from all the stock buds i've used before. I figured I should wait for the XBA-30s before buying another from the series. Well anyway this is a XBA0-4 vs. XBA-40 thread, I should take my business elsewhere 
tongue_smile.gif

Jan 29, 2013 at 7:17 PM Post #25 of 129
I'm comfortable for a fact that XBA1 and 10 have no difference based on the graph, though unless that very slight subbass boost/higher treble reduction is consistent between models which I doubt. That still doesn't rule out the fact that the higher end models may have notable change. I will likely arrange for a XBA3 vs XBA30 graph comparison very soon. 

Feb 14, 2013 at 9:40 AM Post #27 of 129
Quote:
It's not picky of source because of it's low impedance, that's only part of the story. It's impedance phase has a pattern. If these new ones indeed have more resistance, it means it has a bit less bass and more treble. I know this because I know the pattern it follows. 

The other XBA series are likely about the same in their new versions. See this for the XBA1 and XBA10 comparison. As shown, pretty much the same...

the difference will go dramatically on 3,30 / 4,40 whether not 1,10

Feb 19, 2013 at 1:58 PM Post #28 of 129
I recently purchased the XBA-40 and I have to admit I haven't been so pleasantly surprised  by an iem for quite a while.
Considering how cheaply they can be bought  through Amazon Japan +Tenso those are really remarkable.  I find it very hard to find fault with their SQ but their overall built quality and flimsy cable is another story. They are also quite bulky but THE SOUND...whoaa!
For the record my previous favourite iems are PFE232 and FX700.

PS: I use those with my European Sony Walkman Z which has a Zout of 27Ohms and somehow the pairing is just fantastic   
confused.gif
 , even compared to when used with a Fiio E11 and straight from the HO from the MDAC.

Feb 19, 2013 at 2:08 PM Post #29 of 129
Now i'm torn!

Just ordered the XBA-30 from tenso.

I always had the impression that XBA-3 > XBA-4  as the bass of the XBA-4 bled into the other frequencies a bit.

So naturally, I would get the XBA-30s as the upgrade. Now I'm even more curious about the XBA-40!

So is it XBA-40> XBA>30 > XBA-3>XBA-4>XBA-2 >XBA-1?

Feb 19, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #30 of 129
Quote:
^^ sometimes graph can not has the same in the praxis
biggrin.gif

Maybe the impedance different and cable can make the different SQ , if really Sony use the Sam driver units .
But in the high frequency is a big different , I don't think they use same driver unit , who knows ?
Only Sony know about this issue
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the review!! I also have Westone 4. Although i really like them, I would like to get something with slightly deeper and stronger bass response. Will xba-40 be an improvement in bass compared to W4?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back