Sony XBA-300 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Jul 31, 2016 at 10:24 AM Post #226 of 326

Cool keyboard backlight I never saw it green, dual fan
biggrin.gif
 double the noise level hahaha, i have a Vaio with 4th gen i5 and the fan blows souds like a jet LOL "prepare for take off"

" I like it like I like my ex-ex1000" sounded like  a like tongue twister
biggrin.gif

Wonder how these would comprae to the XBA-A3 which is hybrid DD and dual BA

Its RGB keyboards, so the backlit adjustable :grin:
About the fan its adjustable too, for hard gaming its sound like jet, just crank volume up to make it not noticeable during gaming, LOL.

Yeah, I like it like my ex-ex1000 (I owned it 2, and sell it twice, the problem just the fitting, I cant used it outside when walk around, except in quite area :joy:.

Just ever owned XBA H1,now the dynamic driver dead, have no time to repair it. So far I love this XBA300.

I Had an XBA-1 it died in Germany trip in 2014, then got the XBA-H3 and sold it because the sound was not my taste and now have my xba-a3 and like them

Jul 31, 2016 at 4:12 PM Post #227 of 326
My XBA-30ip died last wee, so i thought I would try IE80s. Not really enjoying them, they don't give me that exciting feeling i get listening to music on the xba-30, and I think I'm too used to the lovely sparkly highs and all the detail. So I've just ordered the XBA-300ap, really hoping its mostly like the XBA-30 only even better. Fingers crossed :)

Aug 6, 2016 at 10:24 AM Post #229 of 326
Received my pair yesterday, loving them so far. Loads of detail as others have said. Definitely seems like an upgrade from the XBA-30.

Glad to hear you like it.
For first time I have to adjust my "ear" to its soundsig, very different from my last iems (dynamic EX1000).
Now after hours of burnin and listening, I more and more like how it sound.

Aug 7, 2016 at 2:08 PM Post #231 of 326
What sort of changes happen with these after burn in would you say?

IMO its feel the treble get softer, not piercing as at my first listening.
Maybe my brain n ears now can adjust and accept the sound after several times of listening session.
What I do is just burnin with my mix playlist then using cardas app several times.
Thats it, just my opinion, we will not go to debate about "burnin-magic" no effect, hahahaha.

Aug 8, 2016 at 3:47 PM Post #232 of 326
Has anyone compared these to the older Sony XBA-4? I'm listening to those at the moment and like them very much, but this is Head-fi, so we must upgrade after a while to the next best thing 
L3000.gif

Aug 8, 2016 at 9:52 PM Post #233 of 326
Has anyone compared these to the older Sony XBA-4? I'm listening to those at the moment and like them very much, but this is Head-fi, so we must upgrade after a while to the next best thing :L3000:

Less bass and better treble, the treble sound clean and clear, not like xba4 that sound piercing and metalic. You will feel xba4 be more fun sounding because of its bass.

Aug 9, 2016 at 10:37 AM Post #234 of 326
How's the instrument separation / soundstage?
I've found that out of all IEMs I've had (not high-end or even close, more like budget-fi) no other sounds as "spacious" as my XBA-4, reminds me a little of the Sennheiser HD598 but a little less spacious although for the size and portability it's a nice compromise.

Aug 10, 2016 at 2:52 AM Post #235 of 326
How's the instrument separation / soundstage?
I've found that out of all IEMs I've had (not high-end or even close, more like budget-fi) no other sounds as "spacious" as my XBA-4, reminds me a little of the Sennheiser HD598 but a little less spacious although for the size and portability it's a nice compromise.

Thats a bold statement of to make on the XB 4. My 598s have a huge soundstage that I don't think it's physically possible for any iem to match. It's due to the over ear and open back properties. That aside, the 300s don't have a wide soundstage, it's just average for me. If you want soundstage, go for their hybrid cousins. But what they do have is very realistic imaging and instrument separation, especially in tracks with string instruments.

Aug 10, 2016 at 11:43 AM Post #236 of 326
Thats a bold statement of to make on the XB 4. My 598s have a huge soundstage that I don't think it's physically possible for any iem to match. It's due to the over ear and open back properties. That aside, the 300s don't have a wide soundstage, it's just average for me. If you want soundstage, go for their hybrid cousins. But what they do have is very realistic imaging and instrument separation, especially in tracks with string instruments.

What meant is that the sound of my XBA-4 reminds me of my HD598, although the soundstage is not as huge, the instrument separation is just as good, and the overall sound quality is really nice, specially for the price I paid for them (~$65 USD). That's why I've been a little hesitant about buying in the XBA-300: paying a lot more for worse sound, but your comments about them sure makes them look like they're worth it

Aug 10, 2016 at 8:49 PM Post #237 of 326
What meant is that the sound of my XBA-4 reminds me of my HD598, although the soundstage is not as huge, the instrument separation is just as good, and the overall sound quality is really nice, specially for the price I paid for them (~$65 USD). That's why I've been a little hesitant about buying in the XBA-300: paying a lot more for worse sound, but your comments about them sure makes them look like they're worth it

They are worth it for a specific crowd. If you're looking for tonnes of detail, instrument separation, fantastic imaging, high quality shimmery treble and very fast bass, these are worth it as they are the best in their price range for these aspects. But the downside is that they can be too analytical. If you enjoy the smooth warm midrange of the 598s, there's a chance you won't enjoy these.

Sep 10, 2016 at 5:57 PM Post #238 of 326
I've had the XBA-300's for a few months now, and even though I have gotten used to the sound, it's just no comparison to when I switch back to the XBA-30's. The XBA-30's are unmatched in terms of having an even signature with no major spikes or faults anywhere along the entire spectrum. Yes, the extended highs are slightly boosted, but there are barely any IEM's in existence that can do highs as smoothly and as detailed as the XBA-30 below $300.

In my opinion, what the XBA-300's do "well" is sound somewhat closer to dynamic headphones. They've toned down the 10khz+ sparkle that was prominent on the XBA-30's, and they have a harshness probably somewhere above 6khz that, unfortunately, I think some are too willing to attribute positive qualities to. Basically, the XBA-300's sacrifice rich mids and lows for sibilant highs. I'm sure they are great for some types of music, but they are not like the XBA-30's, which are some of best all-rounders ever made. In fact, I think the XBA-30's were so good and even that maybe some people didn't recognize them as such, because were too unusually good. It could be that their ear canals are different from mine.

I've owned a couple of pairs of IEM's, from $50 to $350, and my two favorites are still the XBA-30 and XBA-40 after many years. I have given other headphones a chance, and I am dying to find the next true upgrade for when the inevitable day comes that they break. Here are some of the ones I've heard: 

MDR-EX600: Somewhat natural-sounding, but overall pretty bad.
XBA-H3: Unpleasant humped bass (the type that is praised for being "fast", which means they are overemphasized around 100hz-200hz and roll off a little bit in the sub bass), sibilance, veiled mids. Returned.
XBA-A2: Very nice and smooth mid to highs, overpowered by even worse unpleasant humped bass -- bass so 1 note and punchy, I couldn't get used to them even after listening for hours. Returned.
XBA-300: Harsh highs.
Klipsch X10: Very rolled off highs, since they are 1BA. Gave away.
Monster DNA IEM: Bought on sale, super flabby bass. Gave away.
Philips Fidelio S2: Somewhat decent, but sibilant and unforgiving, and not high resolution since they are dynamic drivers. Returned.
Yamaha EPH-100: Super piercing highs. Couldn't get a good fit, and one sided shorted out on the first day. Returned.

Here is a frequency response graph for the XBA-3's, which people say had less refined highs than the XBA-30's (Goldenears never did a graph for them):

I did not find one pair of IEMs on GoldenEars that had a more reference-like graph than these. Even though a graph doesn't tell you everything, I think my ears mostly agree with their neutral target. I am certain that if they do a graph for the XBA-300's, it will reveal the harshness I am talking about.

Sep 10, 2016 at 6:18 PM Post #239 of 326
ye
  I've had the XBA-300's for a few months now, and even though I have gotten used to the sound, it's just no comparison to when I switch back to the XBA-30's. The XBA-30's are unmatched in terms of having an even signature with no major spikes or faults anywhere along the entire spectrum. Yes, the extended highs are slightly boosted, but there are barely any IEM's in existence that can do highs as smoothly and as detailed as the XBA-30 below $300.

In my opinion, what the XBA-300's do "well" is sound somewhat closer to dynamic headphones. They've toned down the 10khz+ sparkle that was prominent on the XBA-30's, and they have a harshness probably somewhere above 6khz that, unfortunately, I think some are too willing to attribute positive qualities to. Basically, the XBA-300's sacrifice rich mids and lows for sibilant highs. I'm sure they are great for some types of music, but they are not like the XBA-30's, which are some of best all-rounders ever made. In fact, I think the XBA-30's were so good and even that maybe some people didn't recognize them as such, because were too unusually good. It could be that their ear canals are different from mine.

I've owned a couple of pairs of IEM's, from $50 to $350, and my two favorites are still the XBA-30 and XBA-40 after many years. I have given other headphones a chance, and I am dying to find the next true upgrade for when the inevitable day comes that they break. Here are some of the ones I've heard: 

MDR-EX600: Somewhat natural-sounding, but overall pretty bad.
XBA-H3: Unpleasant humped bass (the type that is praised for being "fast", which means they are overemphasized around 100hz-200hz and roll off a little bit in the sub bass), sibilance, veiled mids. Returned.
XBA-A2: Very nice and smooth mid to highs, overpowered by even worse unpleasant humped bass -- bass so 1 note and punchy, I couldn't get used to them even after listening for hours. Returned.
XBA-300: Harsh highs.
Klipsch X10: Very rolled off highs, since they are 1BA. Gave away.
Monster DNA IEM: Bought on sale, super flabby bass. Gave away.
Philips Fidelio S2: Somewhat decent, but sibilant and unforgiving, and not high resolution since they are dynamic drivers. Returned.
Yamaha EPH-100: Super piercing highs. Couldn't get a good fit, and one sided shorted out on the first day. Returned.

Here is a frequency response graph for the XBA-3's, which people say had less refined highs than the XBA-30's (Goldenears never did a graph for them):

I did not find one pair of IEMs on GoldenEars that had a more reference-like graph than these. Even though a graph doesn't tell you everything, I think my ears mostly agree with their neutral target. I am certain that if they do a graph for the XBA-300's, it will reveal the harshness I am talking about.

yes it is very harsh....

Sep 12, 2016 at 3:29 PM Post #240 of 326
have the XBA-Z5 and i lie them, they do feel a bit bassy but have nice smooth highs and nice mids, I listen to classical music and the bass is not crappy like that on XBA-H3 which i had and withouth the artificial trebble extension of the XBA-A3 which also had

sound stage of Z5 is huge but they let noise from outside IN

Users who are viewing this thread

Back