Sony XBA-300 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Nov 16, 2015 at 9:08 AM Post #136 of 326
Hey Guys, has anyone else purchased these? I see they're available on Amazon now, via Prime, for $272 shipped so they seem like a reasonable deal for a triple-BA with mic/controls. In fact, I'm not sure if I even know of any other triple-BA with inline mic!

Anyway, aside from the mic, I'm interested in a fairly neutral sound signature with really clear highs and punchy bass. I don't need the rumble of a dynamic driver IEM (I have the XBA-A3 for bass and the EX1000 as well), but would like something fairly accurate and not too colored. Would these be a good option? I feel like I have several sets of "fun" IEMs with my only somewhat neutral pair being the HiFiMan RE-600. Now that you guys know what I have already, would this be pretty much just a side-grade? Should I just keep the EX1000 and be happy? That reminds me, I don't really wear my EX1000 or XBA-A3 in public because as others have mentioned, they look like USB thumb drives sticking out of my ears. I love wearing the IEMs down and not over-ear, so if the sound is nice on these XBA-300s I want to make the purchase :)

Thanks as always!

I guess I should mention that source is the LG V10, no amp, and I listen to everything from top 40 to country to classical to occasional rock and even electronic here and there. 

-Collin-

Nov 17, 2015 at 5:20 AM Post #138 of 326
In fact, I'm not sure if I even know of any other triple-BA with inline mic!

-Collin-

Well... westone w30?
If you really need mic, it's possible to just buy any triple BA IEM with general detachable cable and buy after market cable with mic.
Not sure about the sound quality or the build quality of the cable though. :)

Nov 17, 2015 at 6:11 AM Post #139 of 326
In fact, I'm not sure if I even know of any other triple-BA with inline mic!

-Collin-

You can look into the Sony XBA3IP or XBA30IP (iphone) or XBA3VP or XBA30VP (Android), these are three BA with mic, Im sure there are plenty more brands out there.

Nov 18, 2015 at 12:12 PM Post #140 of 326

Well... westone w30?
If you really need mic, it's possible to just buy any triple BA IEM with general detachable cable and buy after market cable with mic.
Not sure about the sound quality or the build quality of the cable though. :)

I did this with my Triple.Fi10 IEMs and it worked well. I just hated the fit of the TF10s. Good suggestion, because I loved the cable I bought. Will have to remember where it came from. Somewhere in Singapore if I recall correctly. 

You can look into the Sony XBA3IP or XBA30IP (iphone) or XBA3VP or XBA30VP (Android), these are three BA with mic, Im sure there are plenty more brands out there.

I think I'd rather have the newest version because the price doesn't seem to be all that different, oddly enough!

Nov 21, 2015 at 4:55 AM Post #141 of 326
Got to try these out recently- It's totally unfair, but judging by the few moments I had with them in-store I don't think they'd be a significant upgrade over the EX1000 (one of my favorites) or the A3 (which I tried moments before)- though the form factor is definitely less obtuse and they actually isolate a little bit. To me the sig sounded a little 'off' or something- respectable if not super deep bass and detailed highs, but in a way that was a little 'tinny' compared to other "bright" headphones llike the ex1000-  but, again, I only got to hear a few songs through them and my hearing didn't have much opportunity to adjust- they were also a display pair, far from peak condition- please  take my remarks with a pinch metric tonne of salt.

Nov 21, 2015 at 5:46 AM Post #142 of 326
  Got to try these out recently- It's totally unfair, but judging by the few moments I had with them in-store I don't think they'd be a significant upgrade over the EX1000 (one of my favorites) or the A3 (which I tried moments before)- though the form factor is definitely less obtuse and they actually isolate a little bit. To me the sig sounded a little 'off' or something- respectable if not super deep bass and detailed highs, but in a way that was a little 'tinny' compared to other "bright" headphones llike the ex1000-  but, again, I only got to hear a few songs through them and my hearing didn't have much opportunity to adjust- they were also a display pair, far from peak condition- please  take my remarks with a pinch metric tonne of salt.

To be fair, I don't think these are meant to serve as an "upgrade" to the EX1000 or the A3 as both of those have very different sound signatures. The XBA-300 is likely to be something a little different to those mentioned above and if anything probably serve as successor to the XBA-3/30.

Nov 21, 2015 at 6:14 AM Post #143 of 326
Definate not a upgrade to the EX 1000, and personally it doesn't compete with the EX 600 and EX 800ST, and I don't think BA drive can offer the sound stage of what dynamic drive can produce, as the post above mentioned, it's a upgrade to the XBA 3 and XBA 30.

Nov 21, 2015 at 8:56 AM Post #144 of 326

To be fair, I don't think these are meant to serve as an "upgrade" to the EX1000 or the A3 as both of those have very different sound signatures. The XBA-300 is likely to be something a little different to those mentioned above and if anything probably serve as successor to the XBA-3/30.

That certainly appears to be the case, I was just trying to answer See's question if they would be more of a "sidegrade" than an "upgrade" over the ex1000s and a3
rolleyes.gif
(though as you point out the fact that they are a separate series probably indicates Sony's opinion).

Nov 21, 2015 at 1:32 PM Post #145 of 326

That certainly appears to be the case, I was just trying to answer See's question if they would be more of a "sidegrade" than an "upgrade" over the ex1000s and a3
rolleyes.gif
(though as you point out the fact that they are a separate series probably indicates Sony's opinion).

I really appreciate your opinion on the IEMs and that's pretty much in line with what I had expected. I've been looking at the XBA BA line for like a year now, but I always see the occasional review (for every model I've looked at, xba-3, xba-4, xba-30, xba-40) that says the sound is just off somehow. Maybe I just need to give it up and stop catering to my inner Sony fanboy and realize that the BA line isn't for me. 

-Collin-

Nov 23, 2015 at 9:26 AM Post #146 of 326
I was mighty impressed with the XBA-300, especially with earlier impressions stating their weakness in bass.

Bass is energetic, punchy and lean.

Methinks it comes across as the typical Sony sound: powerful and dynamic.
A tad bright, treble could do with better control which may be ameliorated with cables, not sure about that.

But imaging was AWESOME.
Very holographic and accurate rendition of instruments.

Impressed!

Nov 24, 2015 at 8:43 AM Post #149 of 326
From memory, XBA-4 seems very warm, very lackluster.
XBA-300 in comparison is very energetic, aggressive and detailing is very good.
Amazing imaging, i need to say again.

Nov 24, 2015 at 10:53 AM Post #150 of 326
  From memory, XBA-4 seems very warm, very lackluster.
XBA-300 in comparison is very energetic, aggressive and detailing is very good.
Amazing imaging, i need to say again.

Thanks for your input.
I don't know about the "lackluster" but in comparison to my XBA-H1, the XBA-4 is better in every aspect, including details, except maybe bass quantity. I'm not saying the H1 is bad, it's actually very good but the 4 is just better.

I guess I should give these XBA-300 a try, besides, there's no such thing as too many IEMs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back