Sony XBA 3 or GR 07
Feb 17, 2013 at 1:01 PM Post #6 of 10
I liked both IEM's. The GR07 has almost zero mid-bass hump which can be good or bad depending on what your used to listening to music and IEM wise in the past. The Bass version of the GR07 may have more mid-bass though so may also be an option. The mids on the GR07 are fairly neutral while the mids of the XBA3 are a bit forward. The treble on both IEM are good but the GR07 gets the nod by a bit in regards to more faithful reproduction of cymbals. I think both have fairly decent sound stages with the GR07 being wider but having little depth while the XBA3 is a bit narrower but having good depth.

Both IEM's can be run OK from most sources in my opinion. But the XBA3 will run a bit easier than the GR07.

Comfort wise they are both comfortable. Wind noise is less on the GR07. Both have nice cables but if you get the straight XBA3 it does have a J cord that goes behind your neck which some people find annoying. Both have excellent fit kits.

To be blunt you can't really go wrong on either one.

One last point. If you buying new and are looking to pay more than $150 for the XBA3 DON'T!!! Instead get set up with Tenso and buy the XBA30 from Amazon Japan. It has better tuning than the XBA3 and a  slightly better cable.

Feb 18, 2013 at 2:32 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:
I liked both IEM's. The GR07 has almost zero mid-bass hump which can be good or bad depending on what your used to listening to music and IEM wise in the past. The Bass version of the GR07 may have more mid-bass though so may also be an option. The mids on the GR07 are fairly neutral while the mids of the XBA3 are a bit forward. The treble on both IEM are good but the GR07 gets the nod by a bit in regards to more faithful reproduction of cymbals. I think both have fairly decent sound stages with the GR07 being wider but having little depth while the XBA3 is a bit narrower but having good depth.

Both IEM's can be run OK from most sources in my opinion. But the XBA3 will run a bit easier than the GR07.

Comfort wise they are both comfortable. Wind noise is less on the GR07. Both have nice cables but if you get the straight XBA3 it does have a J cord that goes behind your neck which some people find annoying. Both have excellent fit kits.

To be blunt you can't really go wrong on either one.

One last point. If you buying new and are looking to pay more than $150 for the XBA3 DON'T!!! Instead get set up with Tenso and buy the XBA30 from Amazon Japan. It has better tuning than the XBA3 and a  slightly better cable.

Hey dweaver! I had the xba3, and am getting the gr07be. Just curious how your fxz100's compare to either the xba3 or the gr07?

Feb 18, 2013 at 5:21 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Hey dweaver! I had the xba3, and am getting the gr07be. Just curious how your fxz100's compare to either the xba3 or the gr07?

Here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/646964/review-jvc-fxz-100-fun-o-phile

It's compared to the GR07 MKII, not the BE. You may still find it useful.

Feb 18, 2013 at 5:48 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/646964/review-jvc-fxz-100-fun-o-phile

It's compared to the GR07 MKII, not the BE. You may still find it useful.

Yup, that was interesting - thanks! Since you are so good at making these types of comparisons, the obvious thing that you need to do is to get your hands on a burned in pair of GR07BE's and add them into the mix!

P.s. your thread makes me want to give my mh1c's a whirl with those tracks.... I have to psyche myself up first though to deal with the cable lol

Feb 18, 2013 at 6:08 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Yup, that was interesting - thanks! Since you are so good at making these types of comparisons, the obvious thing that you need to do is to get your hands on a burned in pair of GR07BE's and add them into the mix!

P.s. your thread makes me want to give my mh1c's a whirl with those tracks.... I have to psyche myself up first though to deal with the cable lol

I hope to have one within the next couple of weeks. I liked what I heard from my MKII when I used the bass boost on the E10.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back