Sony xb500 drivers in fake beats pro
Mar 3, 2013 at 1:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

ourfpshero

Headphoneus Supremus
So I had a fake beats pro I thought was real until I got a real one (wow big sound difference).
the fake one is nicely made, with metal parts, and real leather pads, but sounded like a low end jvc or sennheiser. it just sat in my garage for a long time. I recently got a sony xb500 that needed cable work, never really happy with it- far too bassy. So i finally just tried the sony drivers in the fake beats pro , and I have a headphone that sounds better than both!
the highs come out more, and the bass less boomy/muddy the the sony drivers were in their own frame. A happy ending for me.

note: these dont sound as good as the real beats pro, mostly due to smaller soundstage, but they are close

Mar 3, 2013 at 2:04 PM Post #2 of 4
So I had a fake beats pro I thought was real until I got a real one (wow big sound difference).
the fake one is nicely made, with metal parts, and real leather pads, but sounded like a low end jvc or sennheiser. it just sat in my garage for a long time. I recently got a sony xb500 that needed cable work, never really happy with it- far too bassy. So i finally just tried the sony drivers in the fake beats pro , and I have a headphone that sounds better than both!
the highs come out more, and the bass less boomy/muddy the the sony drivers were in their own frame. A happy ending for me.

note: these dont sound as good as the real beats pro, mostly due to smaller soundstage, but they are close

I just did the exact same thing in a pair of fake beats studios. Got a set of pure basshead cans. I'm much happier with them than my standard XB500. Good to know the driver swap works in other fake beats as well. :)

Btw, you should totally post some pics of your end results. And my thread is the Fake Beats Lineup, A Social Experiment, In Review, in case you wanted to check out my results.

Thanks for sharing! -BiggBenn

Mar 4, 2013 at 9:45 AM Post #3 of 4
Here's a pic- not much to see, these fakes are almost identical to the real ones. the only differences are that the earpads arent as big (real ones are mostly circumaural, and the ratcheting sliders hardly ratchet. And of course the sound was the giveaway. other fakes I have had usually have pretty stiff earpads and crappy over the top thumping bass with recessed highs.

Mar 4, 2013 at 4:30 PM Post #4 of 4
Here's a pic- not much to see, these fakes are almost identical to the real ones. the only differences are that the earpads arent as big (real ones are mostly circumaural, and the ratcheting sliders hardly ratchet. And of course the sound was the giveaway. other fakes I have had usually have pretty stiff earpads and crappy over the top thumping bass with recessed highs.

Interesting build. Thanks for the picture. I've got one more set of drivers waiting for a swap (XB500) and I'm trying to pick a pair of headphones still.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back