Sony XB500(and other XB series cans) Appreciation Thread
Apr 19, 2013 at 11:03 PM Post #31 of 54
Quote:
1. You can, but that is the "port" so your bass will roll off earlier
2. Better but still muddy.
3. Yes
4. The headband is plastic with a cheap piece of foam over it, However the cans are damn light and im picky.
5. Yes
6. Yes
7. Yes (They have a big midbass hump with a SLIGHT sub bass rolloff.) XB700s are the king of sub bass if you like that (I like sub bass, but less punch)
8. If you have the LPs the XB500s are less muddy. However the XB700s are considerably cleaned up compared to the XB500.

Sidenote: I've had the XB500, XB700 and XB1000, The XB500 gives you the most bass, and the least fatigue. XB700 gives you the most sub bass, but less punch and more treble. The XB1000 has considerably less bass than the 500 and 700. The XB1000s were also peaky in areas the ear is sensitive, pass on the XB1000s.

Wow, that definitely added alot of confidence in buying these. I think I'll get them soon.

Apr 22, 2013 at 2:19 AM Post #32 of 54
I have my XB700s strapped to my Fiio E11 and my 80gb 5th gen iPod running Rockbox.. Brings a smile to my face every day!! For me, it's the ultimate portable rig.. The XB700s were OK before I got the E11, but now they are just wow!! The amount of bass that comes from this combo is amazing.. I love the look on people's faces when they try them on for the first time.. My buddy who owns a pair of HD-598s is always so jealous since he spent so much money on them and they just aren't as 'fun' to listen to.. And he's the kind of guy that more expensive means 'better', no matter what.. I've almost got him convinced otherwise.. Best cans for the money for any bass head.. I tried a pair of XB500s once and they were not bad, but the XB700s are in a whole different league as far as I'm concerned..

A phrase comes to mind when I think about this setup.. Something, something, cold, dead hands.. lol

Apr 27, 2013 at 11:18 PM Post #33 of 54
I recently just ordered the XB500's off of Amazon, and they should be delivered around the date of May 3rd. Are there any mods that can 'close up' or remove leakage from the bass ports? Because I've already heard from reviews that the bass ports cause a little leakage.

Apr 28, 2013 at 7:39 AM Post #34 of 54
They sound horrible if you cover the bass ports, bass disappears bigtime and there's no soundstage. Either live with the leakage or buy other headphones. I tested covering the holes on my XB500 to see how it would affect sound but I took it off in a few secs of listening, horrible!

Apr 29, 2013 at 12:36 AM Post #36 of 54
I have my XB700s strapped to my Fiio E11 and my 80gb 5th gen iPod running Rockbox.. Brings a smile to my face every day!! For me, it's the ultimate portable rig.. The XB700s were OK before I got the E11, but now they are just wow!! The amount of bass that comes from this combo is amazing.. I love the look on people's faces when they try them on for the first time.. My buddy who owns a pair of HD-598s is always so jealous since he spent so much money on them and they just aren't as 'fun' to listen to.. And he's the kind of guy that more expensive means 'better', no matter what.. I've almost got him convinced otherwise.. Best cans for the money for any bass head.. I tried a pair of XB500s once and they were not bad, but the XB700s are in a whole different league as far as I'm concerned..

A phrase comes to mind when I think about this setup.. Something, something, cold, dead hands.. lol

I take it this means the XB line (or at the very least, the first-gen "pillow cup" ones) benefit greatly from an amp?

Jan 1, 2014 at 3:05 PM Post #39 of 54
Allright, different pads is secondary now. Stock pads comfort is very pleasant. Pillow heaven. Like a few people have mentioned these headphones do need EQ-ing in the mid and high region. Not bad a phone at all for this type of money. Just, that short cable! Must.. re.. place..

Edit: the next day.. confirmed that without EQ this is an unattractive sounding headphone. With EQ? Ya better, but not good. Sounds like a load of wool inside.

Jan 3, 2014 at 7:27 AM Post #40 of 54
I've had my XB1000s since Christmas, and boy do they kick in the lower frequencies. For House, Drum and Bass and Dubstep, these cans are king. I still find myself using my DT990 for trance and other EDM genres as it has better detailing and is airier, but I use the XB1000s as my closed portables, for travelling.

Jan 8, 2014 at 2:11 PM Post #41 of 54
The XB500/700/1000's seems to have been lifted from retail stores in Canada. I don't get it, why would they do such a thing? $80 for bassy cans that slam more than Dr Dre's. I don't want to order these online because I have quite a number of orders from the internet and they're lost somewhere in the sea of a thing called "Customs Clearance".

I have every headphone I ever wanted, airy/soundstage/detailed, orthodynamics, a closed balance headphone, an aesthetically pleasing portable... but I don't have bassy headphones, and the only ones that I can think of under $150 at retail price is the XB500 that's no longer available in stores. 

Jan 8, 2014 at 2:16 PM Post #42 of 54
The old XB300\500\700\1000 have been discontinued, and are impossible to find online now. There are some XB700s on Amazon for like £200, and that's about it.

Jan 8, 2014 at 2:41 PM Post #43 of 54
The old XB300\500\700\1000 have been discontinued, and are impossible to find online now. There are some XB700s on Amazon for like £200, and that's about it.

Well the XB600 is $50 at my local computer store, is it worth it?

I just want bass that slams harder than my A900X, I'm not too concerned about mids and treble.

Jan 8, 2014 at 2:46 PM Post #44 of 54
For that you probably can't go wrong. I personally haven't tried them, but I have tried the XB800 and didn't like it very much, well not for £100($150) anyway. At that price I would try them. The only thing is that the new series has the on-ear design, nowhere near as cool as the older massive 27-inch-rims ear cushions.

Jan 8, 2014 at 3:29 PM Post #45 of 54
For that you probably can't go wrong. I personally haven't tried them, but I have tried the XB800 and didn't like it very much, well not for £100($150) anyway. At that price I would try them. The only thing is that the new series has the on-ear design, nowhere near as cool as the older massive 27-inch-rims ear cushions.

Well I'll pick a pair up from work tomorrow and I'll see how it goes.
If I were to do a comparison, it'd have to be an odd one. The headphones with the most solid bass I have is the q701's, and the most bass quantity would be my a900x.... So it'll be quite the odd one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back