Sony XB1000 Frequency response
Nov 5, 2012 at 11:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Docks

100+ Head-Fier
Can someone dig up a measured response of the XB1000, compared to the XB700 would also be nice.
I cant find one of the XB1000 for the life of me!

Jul 19, 2013 at 5:31 AM Post #3 of 9
Wow, the XB1000 freq. response is really somehow wrong. I think this is why they stopped making the old XB line, my xb700 is actually so light in the bass, and someone on head-fi was complaining about missing bass on xb1000's, too.

Jul 19, 2013 at 1:45 PM Post #4 of 9
How can you possibly say such a thing, what are you comparing them too? The XB700 are obviously not bass light, as the measurements confirm (and so do my ears). However, they do not have a midbass hump, so they can indeed feel bass light compared to others that have that hump, for music that does not make use of the sub-bass.

However, the minute you step into a song with sub-bass, you get blasted with it. Not bass light by any stretch of the imagination.

Jul 19, 2013 at 3:56 PM Post #5 of 9
I don't think you did understand me. I know the xb700 is a bass-head headphone, but mine are actually bass-light. I have to equalize the bass to like +6dB, then it is balanced (but bloated without that punch, so the bass is ultra slow). On the xb1000 measurement, you can see sub-bass starts to roll off in 50 Hz, this is exacly my problem too I'd say. The xb1000 is (or should be) actually very strong and tight in that low frequency.

And from these measurements, see that xb700 would actually have stronger sub bass than the xb1000, which is so bad.

Jul 20, 2013 at 5:54 PM Post #6 of 9
I own a pair of Sony XB700 headphones and it has good exaggerated subwoofer bass, gets them lows lows in music other headphones can't even pick up. Can't imagine the bass on the Sony XB1000, it must be really crazy with 70MM big drivers. But you probably need a good amp to drive them beasts to there full potential.

Sep 23, 2013 at 9:29 AM Post #7 of 9
I own the xb1000, and I know why there is mixed reviews on their bass response. If they aren't receiving enough power they have very little bass, eg from my phone I need to eq the bass to maximum, and even then its not huge (not to mention everything else also sounds bad when under powered). When I play them from my PC the bass is pretty good, when I hook them up to my amp I can literally feel my brain vibrating, the xb1000 without a doubt have the potential to be the bassiest (clean defined bass) cans in existence when powered properly. Also I did a mod where I removed the felt material from behind the driver aind also from the air opening on the cups, wow just wow, they became about 5x better all the audio spectrum became clearer, sounded like going from $200 phones to $600 phones, no joke, and I've owned my share of expensive phones, so I'm not exaggerating :)

Jan 5, 2014 at 12:57 PM Post #8 of 9
  I own the xb1000, and I know why there is mixed reviews on their bass response. If they aren't receiving enough power they have very little bass, eg from my phone I need to eq the bass to maximum, and even then its not huge (not to mention everything else also sounds bad when under powered). When I play them from my PC the bass is pretty good, when I hook them up to my amp I can literally feel my brain vibrating, the xb1000 without a doubt have the potential to be the bassiest (clean defined bass) cans in existence when powered properly. Also I did a mod where I removed the felt material from behind the driver aind also from the air opening on the cups, wow just wow, they became about 5x better all the audio spectrum became clearer, sounded like going from $200 phones to $600 phones, no joke, and I've owned my share of expensive phones, so I'm not exaggerating :)

Wow, please write a thread! I am sure there are people who will appreciate that :)
This mod with the paper is known also for xb700, which I have.

Feb 17, 2014 at 6:57 AM Post #9 of 9
That T.R.A.N.C.E fellow walked me through mods. I was nervous b/c I spent $300+ and waited a lifetime for them to come from Jaaaaaapan! Did the mod after a few uses!

These things woke up (paired with Bravo Ocean amp and vintage tube). I could feel my jaw vibrating on certain tracks. I couldn't believe it. Clenched teeth, and my skull was vibrating!

One of the greatest investments. For the price, its a steal. Call the cops. I need to send the Jap guy more $$$. Thank you Japan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back