Sony WI-1000X discussion thread
Sep 4, 2018 at 4:27 PM Post #46 of 59
How are these holding up for people? See that there are a lot of "refurbs" for sale. Not a big deal as I buy Sony refurbs and have not had an issue with what I have bought. Also these are getting cheap @ under $140 shipped and heading quick for $125 :)
Those prices are refurb prices I hope!! If not, where are earth did you find that price?

Okay, definitely refurb prices...
Out of curiousity, Is there even a jack on to use a wired connection in case the battery runs out say on a hiking trip?

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2018 at 6:04 PM Post #47 of 59
Coming from the Bose QC 30 neck band I am loving the LDAC on the WH 1000x M3 but the tubby / over pfatt bass is pissing me off.

Also they are just a bit too "posh" / heavy and large. I have been working out and commuting and talking biz and social with the neck band Bose for a couple of years -

I hope this WI model, minus the WH's large air tight ear cups - won't have that exaggerated bass. I hope they sound "smaller" / tighter.

I'm also thinking about using it in gym because I dislike the selection of music there. But I'm concerned about the possible damage to the neckbank because of sweat.

I had no issue with my Bose neck band model at the gym for the last year or more but perhaps my workouts aren't as heavy as yours!

Dec 4, 2018 at 6:36 PM Post #48 of 59
Those prices are refurb prices I hope!! If not, where are earth did you find that price?

Okay, definitely refurb prices...
Out of curiousity, Is there even a jack on to use a wired connection in case the battery runs out say on a hiking trip?
The W1000x does come with a usb to 3.5 mm plug

20181204_233452_HDR[1].jpg

Feb 2, 2019 at 10:21 AM Post #49 of 59
Does anyone wear these over ear to reduce the inevitable pull when worn the normal way, wire straight down?

My concern with big, bulky earphones (as these seem to be) is that if I don’t have the option to wear the wire over ear, they will work poorly for me.

I actually have the Sony MDR-EX750BT (similar neckband style with no ANC) and I don’t ever feel the need to wear the wire over ear but those ear pieces are very small and and the wires are very, very light and thin, so there is no tugging when I use them at the gym.

Mar 5, 2019 at 8:36 PM Post #50 of 59
I've been an owner of these for over a year now. Picked up the XM3's and the noise cancelling on the WI's for me is far superior by a long way. On the london tube the amount of noise they cancel is so much more than the XM3. Wind is an issue - but the wind mode takes care of that. Frustrating that you need to access that through the app though - and you lose the complete noise cancelling.

The only other issue I have - when listening in a very quiet environment is hiss. The rtings self noise measured at around 22db, which is the same as the XM3 - but the WI's are really hissy when ambient sound levels are below 40db. That's fine for a commuting earphone - but not for an insomniac that uses BT headphones when the house is quiet. My XM3's have no noticeable hiss.

I sent my pair into oratory1990 over on reddit. He has access to an acoustic lab with a high end HMS. More info here.

Below are the two EQ's he came up with. Both sound great, I prefer his personal target over the harman one. But using his EQ you get from a 62/100 preference score on the harman model to 96/100.

Harman
Oratory1990

Mar 28, 2019 at 1:39 PM Post #51 of 59
Are there any ear tips for these which go deeper into your ear? I've tried the comply tips but they aren't as isolating as I'd have hoped.

The noise cancelling cuts down on noise but you can still hear people with them on, even playing music.

Jun 1, 2019 at 9:19 PM Post #53 of 59
johnn29, the hiss goes away if you turn off ambient sound control. IMHO, if you do that, the sound quality is remarkably good.

Jun 1, 2019 at 9:21 PM Post #54 of 59
Are there any ear tips for these which go deeper into your ear? I've tried the comply tips but they aren't as isolating as I'd have hoped.

The noise cancelling cuts down on noise but you can still hear people with them on, even playing music.
Misodiko M410S fits and isolates better.

Aug 18, 2019 at 4:44 AM Post #56 of 59
Hello,

I own WI-1000-X, here is my feedback about it:
PRO

- NC is great, impressive. I keep the headset on my head almost all of the time to benefit NC even if I don't listen to music.
- Battery is also lasting long
- Microphone does not look very good, as mentionned in amazon feedback
- General usability is good, even if it's quite hard to find power button most of the time.

CONS
- Pairing to multiple devices is a nightmare, most of the time I have to reset to factory settings, then pair again, or the headset won't pair to already paired phone/computer..
- strangelly sound is not as good as C600N ...
- aptX HD does not seem to be available .. testing with an old Mac OSX 10.6.x, I had 48kHZ option available through Audio and MIDI devices utility. FOR C600N, available. For WI-1000-X, not available .. very Strange .. I'll try to report this to Sony.

48kHZ improved the sound very much on C600N, so I suppose that's why I feel like WI-1000X has a very lower sound than C600N

Anyone has a similar experience here ?

Aug 18, 2019 at 7:35 AM Post #57 of 59
Hello,

I own WI-1000-X, here is my feedback about it:
PRO

- NC is great, impressive. I keep the headset on my head almost all of the time to benefit NC even if I don't listen to music.
- Battery is also lasting long
- Microphone does not look very good, as mentionned in amazon feedback
- General usability is good, even if it's quite hard to find power button most of the time.

CONS
- Pairing to multiple devices is a nightmare, most of the time I have to reset to factory settings, then pair again, or the headset won't pair to already paired phone/computer..
- strangelly sound is not as good as C600N ...
- aptX HD does not seem to be available .. testing with an old Mac OSX 10.6.x, I had 48kHZ option available through Audio and MIDI devices utility. FOR C600N, available. For WI-1000-X, not available .. very Strange .. I'll try to report this to Sony.

48kHZ improved the sound very much on C600N, so I suppose that's why I feel like WI-1000X has a very lower sound than C600N

Anyone has a similar experience here ?

I don't know the C600N, but I'm surprised that you think they sound better. What do you mean by "48kHZ improved the sound very much on C600N"?

Edit: I haven't had a problem pairing with different devices. I have these paired to my phone, my PC, and a 4K BluRay player and I have no problems.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2019 at 11:46 AM Post #58 of 59
What do you mean by "48kHZ improved the sound very much on C600N"?

C600N has aptX HD capability, but it's not advertised on Sony website.
Using Mac os X Audio and Midi Utility, you may see 3 choices for C600N Audio Output:
- 8000Hz which is used for phone in/out
- 441000Hz which is either for AAC/aptX/SBC
- 48000Hz which is probably aptX enhanced as specified by RFC 7310 (24bits / 48kHZ), also known as aptX HD IMHO.

3. Standard apt-X and Enhanced apt-X Codecs

Standard apt-X and Enhanced apt-X are proprietary audio coding
algorithms, which can be licensed from CSR plc. and are widely
deployed in a variety of audio processing equipment. For commercial
reasons, the detailed internal operations of these algorithms are not
described in standards or reference documents. However, the data
interfaces to implementations of these algorithms are very simple and
allow easy RTP packetization of data coded with the algorithms
without detailed knowledge of the actual coded audio stream syntax.

Both the Standard apt-X and Enhanced apt-X coding algorithms are
based on Adaptive Differential Pulse Code Modulation principles.
They produce a constant coded bit rate that is scaled according to
the sample frequency of the uncoded audio. This constant rate is 1/4
of the bit rate of the uncoded audio, irrespective of the resolution
(number of bits) used to represent an uncoded audio sample. For
example, a 1.536-Mbit/s stereo audio stream composed of two channels
of 16-bit Pulse Code Modulated (PCM) audio that is sampled at a
frequency of 48 kHz is encoded at 384 kbit/s.

Standard apt-X and Enhanced apt-X do not enforce a coded frame
structure, and the coded data forms a continuous coded sample stream
with each coded sample capable of regenerating four PCM samples when
decoded. The Standard apt-X algorithm encodes four successive 16-bit
PCM samples from each audio channel into a single 16-bit coded sample
per audio channel. The Enhanced apt-X algorithm encodes four
successive 16-bit or 24-bit PCM samples from each audio channel and
respectively produces a single 16-bit or 24-bit coded sample per
channel. The same RTP packetization rules apply for each of these
algorithmic variations.

https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7310

Aug 18, 2019 at 12:40 PM Post #59 of 59
What do you mean by "48kHZ improved the sound very much on C600N"?

C600N has aptX HD capability, but it's not advertised on Sony website.
Using Mac os X Audio and Midi Utility, you may see 3 choices for C600N Audio Output:
- 8000Hz which is used for phone in/out
- 441000Hz which is either for AAC/aptX/SBC
- 48000Hz which is probably aptX enhanced as specified by RFC 7310 (24bits / 48kHZ), also known as aptX HD IMHO.

3. Standard apt-X and Enhanced apt-X Codecs

Standard apt-X and Enhanced apt-X are proprietary audio coding
algorithms, which can be licensed from CSR plc. and are widely
deployed in a variety of audio processing equipment. For commercial
reasons, the detailed internal operations of these algorithms are not
described in standards or reference documents. However, the data
interfaces to implementations of these algorithms are very simple and
allow easy RTP packetization of data coded with the algorithms
without detailed knowledge of the actual coded audio stream syntax.

Both the Standard apt-X and Enhanced apt-X coding algorithms are
based on Adaptive Differential Pulse Code Modulation principles.
They produce a constant coded bit rate that is scaled according to
the sample frequency of the uncoded audio. This constant rate is 1/4
of the bit rate of the uncoded audio, irrespective of the resolution
(number of bits) used to represent an uncoded audio sample. For
example, a 1.536-Mbit/s stereo audio stream composed of two channels
of 16-bit Pulse Code Modulated (PCM) audio that is sampled at a
frequency of 48 kHz is encoded at 384 kbit/s.

Standard apt-X and Enhanced apt-X do not enforce a coded frame
structure, and the coded data forms a continuous coded sample stream
with each coded sample capable of regenerating four PCM samples when
decoded. The Standard apt-X algorithm encodes four successive 16-bit
PCM samples from each audio channel into a single 16-bit coded sample
per audio channel. The Enhanced apt-X algorithm encodes four
successive 16-bit or 24-bit PCM samples from each audio channel and
respectively produces a single 16-bit or 24-bit coded sample per
channel. The same RTP packetization rules apply for each of these
algorithmic variations.

https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7310

Thanks for the explanation. I guess you know that Sony doesn't say the C6000N comes with Aptx HD. Without that or LDAC, that seems like a pretty big disadvantage as far as sound quality goes. The WI-1000x sounds much better to me on LDAC at its two higher throughput settings. But if you like it more, that's good for you. The C6000N is much cheaper.

Edit: You did acknowledge that you think it has Aptx HD despite what the Sony website says. I can't find any place that confirms that.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back