Sony WI-1000X discussion thread
Feb 5, 2018 at 11:39 PM Post #16 of 59
This is one of those times when I've felt the item was worth every single penny! The app is very interesting especially with the positional sound since at my cube, I sit at an angle and need to be aware of my colleagues who are roughly at the 12-1 position so it'd be interesting to bias the sound towards 7-8 o'clock. There's also a very useful EQ but I can't wait to test the Adaptive Sound Control tomorrow as well. So far just really loving this earbud! :L3000:

Feb 6, 2018 at 9:20 PM Post #17 of 59
At 12hrs and 7 minutes (using the Bluetooth Headset Battery Widget), I finally received a voice prompt politely informing me to charge the battery. This is after a day's worth of on and off use (but mostly on).

The Adaptive Sound Control on this app is a very interesting attempt at dynamically managing the ANC vs. Ambient sound and for the most part it does a fairly admirable job albeit not perfect. Started day off via car ride and a few seconds after the car started moving, it automatically switched over to Transport profile and I'm simply amazed by how well the ANC worked. Couldn't hear the car noise at all and could barely hear the front passengers and the radio (moderate volume). When I got off and started running towards the subway, it switched to ambient and I couldn't believe how loud it was (i.e. again just how well the ANC works). I did get some wind noise but again that was at running speed. Next came the train, as it pulled into the station, can only make out the higher pitched noises but everything else was quite well subdued. On the train itself, it cut out most sounds with the exception of the track clatter which came through kind of like wind noise on regular ANC headphones. I was able to listen to my music comfortably at ~35% volume (LG V30). Did I say how amazing the ANC is? :D

At work it is able to subdue most of the voices around me, once I bumped volume to 40-50% (I rarely exceed this level), it simply drowned out everything around me. Whereas with the ATH-ANC40 or Jlab's Epic Executive it would've let in much more of the noise especially one particular loud office mate right by me. Again, just simply floored by the continual improvements made over Sony's generations of ANC that I've experienced; first with the MDR-ZX770BN (decent not great) then the MDR-100ABN (slightly better but I think it's more attributed to the better passive isolation) then the MDR-1000X v1 (definitely much better than the previous gen's but not IMO comparable to the WI-1000X).

The Adaptive Sound Control allows one to custom tailor the level of Ambient Sound to ANC ratio with a check box to "Focus on Voice" as well. As a new feature, it'd be cool if they could incorporate location to the equation (e.g. at home, I wouldn't want ANC as aggressive as in the office). I actually didn't play around with the EQ because again, I'm actually very happy with the default sound profile.

Really over the moon with the WI-1000X!

Feb 12, 2018 at 2:54 PM Post #18 of 59
I have yet to run out of battery life. But I also charge mine at night when asleep. I just checked and I had turned on the focus on voice feature for ambient noise which explains why I liked that feature so much. I just tweaked it to give the most noise cancelling while still focusing on voices and will report back how well that works in the office.

Feb 14, 2018 at 11:36 PM Post #19 of 59
Sitting in my basement listening to this IEM I have say the more I listen the more these bring a smile to my face. I guess it's time to write up a full review since these don't have one here on Head-fi yet.

Mar 1, 2018 at 9:32 PM Post #21 of 59
Yup kinda lonely here LOL

Mar 5, 2018 at 7:33 PM Post #24 of 59
How are these holding up for people? See that there are a lot of "refurbs" for sale. Not a big deal as I buy Sony refurbs and have not had an issue with what I have bought. Also these are getting cheap @ under $140 shipped and heading quick for $125 :)

Mar 5, 2018 at 10:28 PM Post #26 of 59
Mine are holding up great Jant71. At those prices these are great deal. I paid close to $350 for mine and thought they were worth that price.

Mar 6, 2018 at 8:24 AM Post #28 of 59
Cheaper appeals to me to use it with my A45. Not like I can use the app on the fly and get EQ and other features. A45 doesn't broadcast FM over BT so nice to have the wired option to listen to sports talk and ballgames at times. The cheap price would make losing some features a non-issue.

Mar 6, 2018 at 2:06 PM Post #30 of 59
Wish they would have FW to get more features working with their own players but indeed the BT seems super solid on the A series. Just got the JVC ET50BT to use for sports and bad weather and all that to keep the Sony nice and safe. Doesn't start breaking up till over 100 feet away with straight line of sight. Played some racquetball outside and can run after a ball to the other side of the wall to the far fence w/o any break-ups. Damn fine connection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back