SONY WH1000XM3 - better than QC35 in noise cancelling?
Jan 25, 2019 at 5:45 PM Post #1,306 of 2,082
I live in Montreal and used them with -40c weather and it was fine. I wear them *under* my coat’s hoodie and on top of a tuque. Anyway when it’s very cold, you better put something over your head !

Jan 25, 2019 at 8:43 PM Post #1,308 of 2,082
I get it but it’s still a good price. I have them, and I live in London (uk not Ontario, used to live there though!) and it’s been completely fine. Mind you, London is more temperate but it’s gotten to -2 this week and I haven’t faced that problem.

I also got a good amount off (got them for 246 pounds for an open box one). And I think it’s well worth the price.
Good move and good buy, saving all head scratching on what if...

Jan 29, 2019 at 10:08 AM Post #1,309 of 2,082
I'm surprised there seems to be little to no reaction here concerning the 4.1.1 update and what it seems to do to ANC. Elsewhere people seem to be complaining more and more about the ANC taking several steps back with this FW update. I only use my set at home so haven't really noticed but will do some testing (vacuuming is always a good test to be done at home).

Jan 29, 2019 at 10:39 AM Post #1,310 of 2,082
I'm surprised there seems to be little to no reaction here concerning the 4.1.1 update and what it seems to do to ANC. Elsewhere people seem to be complaining more and more about the ANC taking several steps back with this FW update. I only use my set at home so haven't really noticed but will do some testing (vacuuming is always a good test to be done at home).
Can't say I've noticed any change to the ANC performance on my XM3 after the update.
Gut feel is it is the usual mass hysteria over nothing and the reality probably is that ANC performance hasn't actually changed at all. I remember exactly the same happened with a QC35 update a while back, and folk still complained despite Bose clearly stating that there had been zero firmware changes related to ANC. Sony's own forum seems to be pretty full with a group of people not very happy with their lot in life :grinning:

Jan 29, 2019 at 10:49 AM Post #1,312 of 2,082
people complaining about the ANC? what the, been using it nearly everyday, didn't noticed any difference to the ANC

Yep, over at reddit, amazon (review section) and sony (community). Doesn't seem to be mass hysteria as apparently some guy had tested not only his XM3s but his friends as well and all of them had reduced ANC. They are saying that they can hear traffic noise they did not hear prior to 4.1.1.

Jan 29, 2019 at 10:54 AM Post #1,314 of 2,082
Yep, over at reddit, amazon (review section) and sony (community). Doesn't seem to be mass hysteria as apparently some guy had tested not only his XM3s but his friends as well and all of them had reduced ANC. They are saying that they can hear traffic noise they did not hear prior to 4.1.1.
I'd not be surprised if it is the same people across forums/review sites. I'd prefer to reserve any judgement until I see any legitimate objective testing versus subjective opinion.

Jan 29, 2019 at 11:00 AM Post #1,315 of 2,082
I’d also be interested to see if anyone has experienced loss of noise cancelling. The Sony community forum shows a few people have. I have not noticed any change. I still think the noise cancelling is very good.

Jan 29, 2019 at 11:45 AM Post #1,317 of 2,082
Perhaps those ppl have surrounding changed or they moved to other than their regular place when doing the retest thus different results

Jan 29, 2019 at 3:41 PM Post #1,319 of 2,082
I brought WH-1000xm3. I would like to ask you for some help. The fact is that I can not hear the difference between MP3 and FLAC when am I using WH-1000xm3 headphones. I bought these headphones and I would really like to understand what the LDAC technology costs that these headphones can use.
Since my smartphone does not support LDAC, I connected the headphones on the wire and then played the same FLAC song in MP3 format, but I did not hear any difference at all. I tried to do it on my laptop, too, no difference.
Could you tell me what I could do to hear the advantage of FLAC? It seems like the headphones, according to the manufacturer, should show me the difference, but I can't hear it.

Jan 29, 2019 at 3:45 PM Post #1,320 of 2,082
These are my next pair of headphone’s for sure, the only thing stopping me from pulling the trigger right now is the price (in Canada they are $450 + tax)
I saw a graph on shopbot and it seems like the only price drop was around Black Friday.
Thanks for all the great information in this thread, head-fi!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back