SONY WH1000XM3 - better than QC35 in noise cancelling?
Dec 7, 2018 at 1:36 PM Post #1,036 of 2,082
Final post on the mods, fitted the Dekoni leather V6'S and they fit perfectly a bit more cushioning than stock and have a better feel when on and they encapsulate your ear better ( well mine ) and give good isolation, couple that up with the mods I've done and they have turned out to be a decent set of wireless headphones, thought I'd try them out on a few tracks and ended up listening still 2 hours later with no listening fatigue or sweaty ears at
all and truly enjoyable to use

Could you please post the latest photos with Dekoni leather V6's? I really wonder the difference?

Is this the one you used, right?: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MYTR4ZF
If so, then this shoul be Brainwavz alternative: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FSPNJH6

BTW, do you think Dekoni is better than Brainwavz in terms of sound quality, comfort and durability?

Dec 7, 2018 at 3:34 PM Post #1,037 of 2,082
Wow.

I am keen to tweak mine now!

A bit scary

Perhaps I could buy you a pint to hack mine?

Dec 7, 2018 at 5:14 PM Post #1,038 of 2,082

Earpad hack video.

Dec 7, 2018 at 8:06 PM Post #1,039 of 2,082
482B4065-2BCF-4305-8B37-CB35351C0C4D.png
I used an eq on iPhone playback (Onkyo Hi Res app)

This is where the bass sounded reasonable to me.

It's a rather shocking (IMHO) 5db of reduction required to get me happy with it.

Roughly a bell curve dip of about 5db @ 70hz

Dec 7, 2018 at 8:26 PM Post #1,040 of 2,082
@Pro-Jules, my dip was similar, but more pronounced at close to 200Hz where I find much of the stock signature congestion to be, at least for my preferences/hearing environment. Still, I am to this day extremely happy with the resultant sound quality. I really hope that Sony retunes future iterations or new models to not have such a pronounced bass bloom. My guess is that they take data on the success of their more affordable, youth tuned solid bass offerings and erroneously believe the same tuning will be preferred in their more upscale offerings, such as the xM3 is. I do not think that logic holds, assuming my speculation is correct. People paying this much are most likely more serious about audio quality, but even saying that I acknowledged how diverse a group I am trying to describe truly is. Still, I am quite confident that taking the bass down wouldn't effect their target demographic.

Dec 7, 2018 at 10:06 PM Post #1,041 of 2,082
I am pretty sure I am going to send them back

5 db boost is a joke

If was a bass player I might like it.

Bowers & Wilkinson PX on order...

I am depressed LDAC hasn't worked out for me I can hear the high frequency content is superior to HTPX HD

Dec 8, 2018 at 6:52 AM Post #1,042 of 2,082
Dec 8, 2018 at 7:01 AM Post #1,043 of 2,082
Dec 8, 2018 at 8:52 AM Post #1,044 of 2,082
@Pro-Jules, I owned the PX and they were absolutely uncomfortable, really liked the sound (although the xM3 is now more to my liking than the PX was). You need to try and adjust different frequencies, if you haven't. The congestion is up higher, not that pronounced around where you centered your cut. Seriously, before giving up you really should experiment more. The results may be well worth it. The headphone once liberated from the bass bloom is capable of sounding brilliant, and I use a wide variety of music with it from driving electronica to soft Diana Kral pieces.

Dec 8, 2018 at 10:11 AM Post #1,045 of 2,082
I hear ya.

But the moment you engage eq in the app my beloved Hi Res transmitting LDAC reverts to a lower quality codec. :triportsad: (A known "gotcha")

I think I may audition 4 more types this weekend and still be left with the Sony as the main contender. - if that happens I will be "going in" to perform surgery / trying to find some bass ports to close up.

I want to like the B&W PX on purely style & feature grounds but 'wishing' them to sound good isn't going to make them sound good.

I am enjoying the quest so far.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2018 at 1:38 PM Post #1,046 of 2,082
@Pro-Jules, I owned the PX and they were absolutely uncomfortable, really liked the sound (although the xM3 is now more to my liking than the PX was). You need to try and adjust different frequencies, if you haven't. The congestion is up higher, not that pronounced around where you centered your cut. Seriously, before giving up you really should experiment more. The results may be well worth it. The headphone once liberated from the bass bloom is capable of sounding brilliant, and I use a wide variety of music with it from driving electronica to soft Diana Kral pieces.
Perhaps you're listening volume is way too high thus making the closed back XM3 bass sounded even more booming.

I don't like to talk much nor do I like to change ppl opinions or how they feel, but just hear/compare yourself, to why an open back headphones and a closed/sealed back headphones bass sounded so much different. The louder volume you play, the closed/sealed back headphones bass will sound more worse.

Do you see what I'm getting at?

Dec 8, 2018 at 6:36 PM Post #1,047 of 2,082
Perhaps you're listening volume is way too high thus making the closed back XM3 bass sounded even more booming.

I don't like to talk much nor do I like to change ppl opinions or how they feel, but just hear/compare yourself, to why an open back headphones and a closed/sealed back headphones bass sounded so much different. The louder volume you play, the closed/sealed back headphones bass will sound more worse.

Do you see what I'm getting at?
I'm removing my earlier reply, which was testy and I feel that I may have misunderstood what you were trying to say and I think people deserve the benefit of the doubt.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2018 at 6:39 PM Post #1,048 of 2,082
I hear ya.

But the moment you engage eq in the app my beloved Hi Res transmitting LDAC reverts to a lower quality codec. :triportsad: (A known "gotcha")

I think I may audition 4 more types this weekend and still be left with the Sony as the main contender. - if that happens I will be "going in" to perform surgery / trying to find some bass ports to close up.

I want to like the B&W PX on purely style & feature grounds but 'wishing' them to sound good isn't going to make them sound good.

I am enjoying the quest so far.
That looks like the Onkyo EQ you were using. When I use it with the xM3 I still use LDAC? I hope that your quest remains enjoyable and that you find your headphone, whatever that ends up being. The search is a huge part of the fun, IMO. Cheers.

Dec 8, 2018 at 6:54 PM Post #1,049 of 2,082
The Onkyo is on my iPhone. I was just testing with it. The LDAC player in my Fiio M9.

Dec 8, 2018 at 11:43 PM Post #1,050 of 2,082
I'm removing my earlier reply, which was testy and I feel that I may have misunderstood what you were trying to say and I think people deserve the benefit of the doubt.
It's OK bro. Blame me for being a lazy guy, maybe I elaborate a bit more what I'm trying to say so that I don't confuse you more.

XM3 is a closed back headphones and with limited space in the earcups, picture it like a fully sealed small bookshelf speaker.

Their bass sound OK if you ripped original quiet CD at default volume. But if you ripped quiet CD again with 150% or even 200% volume and play at max volume, now both XM3 and fully sealed bookshelf speaker bass sounded booming as their given limited sealed space not able to handle the much higher bass volume. So you reach out for EQ to reduce the lower Hz by a few -dB aka reduce bass volume

Users who are viewing this thread

Back