SONY WH1000XM3 - better than QC35 in noise cancelling?
Nov 2, 2018 at 4:15 PM Post #796 of 2,082
Sounded pretty similar to my test results. Most people with serious mic issues seem to either say that the other person either heard an echo or couldn't understand the speech. As we do not have neither of these issues, it would appear that our mics are as Sony (unfortunately) intended. However, for me, this is not a deal breaker as I rarely take (or make) calls via headphones.

Yeah I dont think its a defect as both of mine and yours do it. I understand that a mic on the headphones far away from your mouth will never be great. But it does seem particularly bad quality. Not a deal breaker for me either. I am finding them a little uncomfortable after an hour or two, but maybe they need to stretch slightly

Nov 2, 2018 at 11:15 PM Post #797 of 2,082
After much request I had a demo of XM3. But I didn't like it much. May be I had very high expectations after looking at numerous reviews and awards. I felt sound quality of my mdr-1abt is better than xm3 (with same LDAC) But that's just my opinion

But I really appreciate Sony (Ichiban) Ashok Nagar, Chennai for trying hard to give me demo.

Nov 3, 2018 at 2:17 PM Post #798 of 2,082
Hi

I bought a pair recently and had a popping noise in the left ear whenever I moved or touched the ear cup. It wasn't loud, but I'd describe it as a popping/clicking, not like thunder. It has been reported by variou others on reddit. It seems that the first batch of these headphones has various problems like this and ones with the microphone. I send mine back and I'm waiting for them to be back in stock to try again! It doesnt fill me with hope regardingh their quality control, but I will only buy from a good shop with a 2 year warranty, so its not a huge problem, good luck

Had this issue with my first pair back in September and had it replaced. (Popping was on the right side on mine)

Nov 4, 2018 at 9:30 AM Post #799 of 2,082
So after following this thread for a while, I took the plunge and picked up the XM3 soon as they came back in stock here. Out of the box thought they sounded muffled (even with my iPhone Xs-max turn up 70% on volume) so have plugged them into the iPad on a wired connection and letting them run 12 hours or so. I thought the XM2 I auditioned sounded so much better. I have EQd them on the Sony app and its true that when I switched to the iPad from my phone, the app showed the same custom EQ setting as on my phone which was cool. I have taken the 400hz freq down 2 notches and 1K down 1 notch and elevated 16KHz +2 notches... the freq sets are not precise enough but will have to do for now. I hope they sound better after the "run-in"

Nov 4, 2018 at 11:09 AM Post #800 of 2,082
So after following this thread for a while, I took the plunge and picked up the XM3 soon as they came back in stock here. Out of the box thought they sounded muffled (even with my iPhone Xs-max turn up 70% on volume) so have plugged them into the iPad on a wired connection and letting them run 12 hours or so. I thought the XM2 I auditioned sounded so much better. I have EQd them on the Sony app and its true that when I switched to the iPad from my phone, the app showed the same custom EQ setting as on my phone which was cool. I have taken the 400hz freq down 2 notches and 1K down 1 notch and elevated 16KHz +2 notches... the freq sets are not precise enough but will have to do for now. I hope they sound better after the "run-in"
Trust me, get the free Onkyo HF Player (assuming they make an iOS version). There can be a significant difference between equalizers, often enough it is audible. The frequencies you dropped are not the offending frequencies. If you want to increase the clarity drop the bass around 200Hz by about -4db and also around 125Hz by around -2db. Those are just starting points and our preferences are of course subjective, but if you look at the frequency response graph for the xM3 that I posted several pages back now, you will see, at least according to that measurement, the bass bloat is most pronounced from about 200Hz down. The lowest bass frequencies you can still drop a little and it does help, but I found a significant, and I mean significant improvement in clarity once I dropped those bass frequencies down. Your results may vary, but 400Hz I don't think is actually that much of the culprit.

Nov 4, 2018 at 1:34 PM Post #801 of 2,082
So, I went looking for ANC headphone with lowest price per performance, and ran into something interesting. Rtings considers the Beoplay H9 a low pricepoint per performance, and look at how much noise reduction difference is from the XM3. Looks like 1000XM3 still performs better than PX. I guess you get what you pay for, and XM3 must indeed be the best ANC headphone.

I was actually curious what the ANC performance differences are when it comes to cheaper models to more expensive, and here it is.

B&O PLAY Beoplay H9
isolation-graph (6).png

Bowers & Wilkins PX
isolation-graph (8).png

Sony 1000XM3
isolation-graph (7).png

Nov 4, 2018 at 3:25 PM Post #802 of 2,082
From memory, ANC in PX was really good enough for me for daily use, even the Office mode was good enough. Visually they were amazing and sound was still most engaging among ANC BT Headphones that I heard ( Boose, H9i, H9, MDR-1000X, MDR-1000mk2, MDR-1000mk3, B&W PX), but they are so uncomfortable and heavy that they were on the edge of unusable. But, if B&W makes mk2 of PX, with half a kilo less and new pads, I will be first to buy them.

Saying that, Sony 1000mk3 are doing amazing job as my daily. Recently I tried them against my big Ipad Pro->AKG N40 IEM, and made an EQ that makes mk3 closer to them , far more fun.
https://files.fm/u/u2ksjdwe

One thing I found surprising is that N40 have really strong bass hit, so -2 for Clear Bass, but I had to make this funy 0 at 6.5K and +3 at 16k to give them some air.

Nov 4, 2018 at 4:05 PM Post #803 of 2,082

I am sitting here playing two pairs of Xm3s simultaneously as I'm taking one back and just want to run them in a bit. Also testing battery life. They sound identical to each other, and I wouldn't call it muffled at all. I' mostly used to my Senheisser HD 25's though so maybe if you are used to more open and less bossy headphones it could sound a bit muffled possibly

Nov 4, 2018 at 4:20 PM Post #804 of 2,082
I was actually curious what the ANC performance differences are when it comes to cheaper models to more expensive, and here it is.
The premium prices for B&O H9 and B&W PX come from targeting the luxury market with styling and metal/leather construction. ANC performance only correlates with price when it is a primary selling point, such as with Bose and some Sony models.

Nov 4, 2018 at 6:28 PM Post #805 of 2,082
Trust me, get the free Onkyo HF Player (assuming they make an iOS version). There can be a significant difference between equalizers, often enough it is audible. The frequencies you dropped are not the offending frequencies. If you want to increase the clarity drop the bass around 200Hz by about -4db and also around 125Hz by around -2db.

Thanks @Sonic Defender! I have the paid HF player for when I listen to my FLAC/DSD/ALAC files on the go and agree that the EQ on that is great vs the "hammer" fix with 400Hz on the Sony app which as you point out aren't really the problem (I did look at your posts on the FR curve). But that would not help me with the Tidal and Spotify listening from the phone would it ? I also found a big difference in SQ when changing the ANC levels in the Sony app. I can tinker around looking for the right EQ settings by pairing the XM3 with my desktop and using the JMC24 app which has great EQ features but its really with my phone I will use them.

I am sitting here playing two pairs of Xm3s simultaneously as I'm taking one back and just want to run them in a bit. Also testing battery life. They sound identical to each other, and I wouldn't call it muffled at all. I' mostly used to my Senheisser HD 25's though so maybe if you are used to more open and less bossy headphones it could sound a bit muffled possibly

Hi @robodelfy my cans are a mixed bag with Roxanne and Z1Rs being warm sounding (some would call them bassy and I wouldn't) while the L700 are quite open and I use them often at my desk. So you may well be right and it might be my ears :) I shall compare them with my friend's XM2 to confirm what my ears felt. Also I expect the XM3 to open up a bit with run-in. As someone pointed out in this thread a few pages ago, the ANC settings have a big impact and I can confirm that. As you reduce the ANC the bass reduces a bit. Shall keep the thread posted on what I find with a few days of use. Thanks much

Nov 4, 2018 at 9:44 PM Post #806 of 2,082
Thanks @Sonic Defender! I have the paid HF player for when I listen to my FLAC/DSD/ALAC files on the go and agree that the EQ on that is great vs the "hammer" fix with 400Hz on the Sony app which as you point out aren't really the problem (I did look at your posts on the FR curve). But that would not help me with the Tidal and Spotify listening from the phone would it ? I also found a big difference in SQ when changing the ANC levels in the Sony app. I can tinker around looking for the right EQ settings by pairing the XM3 with my desktop and using the JMC24 app which has great EQ features but its really with my phone I will use them.

Hi @robodelfy my cans are a mixed bag with Roxanne and Z1Rs being warm sounding (some would call them bassy and I wouldn't) while the L700 are quite open and I use them often at my desk. So you may well be right and it might be my ears :) I shall compare them with my friend's XM2 to confirm what my ears felt. Also I expect the XM3 to open up a bit with run-in. As someone pointed out in this thread a few pages ago, the ANC settings have a big impact and I can confirm that. As you reduce the ANC the bass reduces a bit. Shall keep the thread posted on what I find with a few days of use. Thanks much
Totally get where you are coming from mate, and I also agree, the Z1R isn't really overly bass centric, but it is certainly bass competent and geared toward warmth. I actually feel the xM3 when the bass bloat is tamed has some of the Z1R sonic signature in it. The way the treble is presented in particular, it is really well integrated and able to portray what treble should, but it has enough restraint to lend a relaxed character to the overall signature. At least that has been my take up to now. Cheers.

Nov 5, 2018 at 6:21 AM Post #807 of 2,082
so today the XM3 sounds good after a few hours of run-in. You were right @Sonic Defender they do have some similarity with the Z1R sound signature once the bass is dialed down. The Onkyo HF player seems to have been updated and in the EQ I haven’t yet found a custom setting but many many presets. So I must hunt there. I also tried it wired into the dragonfly and Bluetooth off my PC and my phone. It sounded best when connected to Tidal on the PC via BT. Will see how it scales with the Hugo2 wired in :) just messing around. Strangely when connected to HF Player or JRMC it would keep skipping in songs even when playing 320kbps stuff. Something to be checked. Plays perfectly from Tidal and Spotify

Nov 5, 2018 at 8:12 AM Post #808 of 2,082
so today the XM3 sounds good after a few hours of run-in. You were right @Sonic Defender they do have some similarity with the Z1R sound signature once the bass is dialed down. The Onkyo HF player seems to have been updated and in the EQ I haven’t yet found a custom setting but many many presets. So I must hunt there. I also tried it wired into the dragonfly and Bluetooth off my PC and my phone. It sounded best when connected to Tidal on the PC via BT. Will see how it scales with the Hugo2 wired in :) just messing around. Strangely when connected to HF Player or JRMC it would keep skipping in songs even when playing 320kbps stuff. Something to be checked. Plays perfectly from Tidal and Spotify
To get a custom select the flat EQ from presets. You need to do that twice, the first time you select flat it loads, but you see all of the preset choices. If you then select the flat preset again, all the choices then disappear and you can begin adjusting the flat preset. The moment you do anything to the flat preset it becomes a custom that you can then save.

Nov 5, 2018 at 10:37 AM Post #809 of 2,082
Thanks a bunch!!

Nov 5, 2018 at 11:36 AM Post #810 of 2,082

Users who are viewing this thread

Back