SONY WH1000XM3 - better than QC35 in noise cancelling?
Sep 11, 2018 at 7:19 PM Post #121 of 2,082
Nope, never said it was Sony's fault. It's my fault for trusting Amazon's warehouse deals. A used model (wh1000xm3) showed up and I'll pull the trigger. It arrived in a xm3 box with a big "amazon inspected" sticker on it but it wasn't the xm3. The miniUSB was a dead giveaway. No worries, Amazon was cool about it and are taking them back no problem.

Just bummed that I don't have them to test out.

IMG_8333.jpg IMG_8334.jpg IMG_8335.jpg

Sep 11, 2018 at 8:56 PM Post #123 of 2,082
Anyone compared these to P7 wireless?

Sep 11, 2018 at 9:01 PM Post #124 of 2,082
I had more listen of the XM3, and I can now confidently say that XM3 sounds better than the QC 35 II. XM3 has a certain boxy bass sound with certain tracks which I dislike. Bass isn't the best (Bose bass sounds better), but rest of the frequencies are good (smoother than QC 35 which sounds a bit treble prominent). XM3 sounds more open even though both headphones are closed.

This was through SBC connection with XM3 (for some reason, it would only connect SBC), and Bose with AAC.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2018 at 6:56 AM Post #125 of 2,082
Also want to add that I got familiar with Beats Studio 3 wireless. Don't waste your time. It sounds lower mids too warm, and generally too warm that makes mids sound unclear (and very unclear with certain tracks). I like the relaxed treble, but it's too warm.

I initially tried Beats on the booth with their choice of tracks, so I didn't get a good assessment (sometimes these booth demo throws you off or not representitive of how they generally sound). You have to try different tracks on BT to get a good idea. I guess I was hopeful as I like BeatsX iems.

I don't think Beats Studio 3 wireless is worth it's asking value. It's also $300. If they reduce the warmth on that headphone, it would sound clearer and better because I like relaxed treble. Other BT headphones have more functionality as well, particularly the XM3.

I tested NC with my air conditioner and works quite well to rid of the noise. The thing is with it being closed back, I couldn't tell a difference with music on (for the air conditioner noise). Perhaps for louder environments, it's more useful like on the plane (will test this out with XM3).

XM3 would be my preferred NC headphones so far. SQ does seem better than Bose.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2018 at 9:30 AM Post #130 of 2,082
I'd like to hear what people's experiences were with passive noise isolation (like ciems or Etymotic ER4 with trip flanges) and ANC (like Sony XM3 or Bose QC 35), and which performs the best under extreme noise conditions (like for example inside an airplane). What really differentiates the performance between them?

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2018 at 10:41 AM Post #132 of 2,082
It says 3 hours in the user manual. Mine however charged faster than that, after 2 hours and a half if not less, the light stopped flashing red and the headphone was fully charged.

Tnx for answer :) Have just received them.I found a way to choose ldac on my samsung,but Is it a way too see that you are using ldac over bluetooth?

Sep 12, 2018 at 10:49 AM Post #133 of 2,082
This XM3 might grow on me. On the third day the sound quality is already more like I'd expect it.

ANC is nice to have and pretty amazing when walking through a crowd and you see people talking but hear not a word...

Aside, what would be your first choice headphone without ANC? When sound quality would be all that matters, and not the XM3's addons?

Sep 12, 2018 at 11:29 AM Post #135 of 2,082
Tnx for answer :) Have just received them.I found a way to choose ldac on my samsung,but Is it a way too see that you are using ldac over bluetooth?
You can see it in the developer's option if you get that activated in the settings. That's how I saw that the Best Buy demo unit was only connecting to SBC. I didn't even think about trying out the app actually (didn't know). That might be the reason why I only connected SBC for the demo unit.

By the way, how did you choose LDAC with your Samsung? I have a Galaxy s8

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back