SONY WH1000XM3 - better than QC35 in noise cancelling?
Sep 14, 2018 at 12:52 PM Post #166 of 2,082
Gotcha. Android device, or iOS? When wireless w/ NC, on my iPhone X, volume is usually between 35% and 45%. Hard to say though, since I use the volume slider more often than the buttons (since the slider allows for smaller incremental changes compared to the volume buttons).

Samsung Galaxy S9,Android 8.0, Most of my listening is on the MTA train in NYC wireless.

Sep 14, 2018 at 1:22 PM Post #167 of 2,082
I power cycled mine a few times and now all is well. No more asymmetrical hiss and the sound pressure/nausea are gone.

Regarding noise canceling vs. the M1 I think the high frequency canceling is better on M1 but may be just better passive due to the thicker ear cups maybe? I’d like to see a Tyll Herstens style isolation plus ANC curve comparing the two. Subjectively the M3 sounds like better low frequency noise reduction but less good high frequency vs. the M1

Sep 14, 2018 at 4:53 PM Post #168 of 2,082
I power cycled mine a few times and now all is well. No more asymmetrical hiss and the sound pressure/nausea are gone.

Regarding noise canceling vs. the M1 I think the high frequency canceling is better on M1 but may be just better passive due to the thicker ear cups maybe? I’d like to see a Tyll Herstens style isolation plus ANC curve comparing the two. Subjectively the M3 sounds like better low frequency noise reduction but less good high frequency vs. the M1

I completely Agree, can't wait for a good comparison video.

Sep 14, 2018 at 5:04 PM Post #170 of 2,082
I'd love to see the ANC comparison as well. I'm still on the fence about spending ~ $190 or so for a used pair of mk2s on eBay or here (haven't seen any that low on the trading post here yet, but a ton on eBay around the ~180-200 price point, or $375 after tax for the mk3s. Waiting to see how much better the ANC actual is before purchasing one or the other.

Sep 14, 2018 at 5:58 PM Post #171 of 2,082
Get the M3. The sound is considerably better. ANC is similar between M2 and M3. It's the sound that is killer. Very near the DT 1770 with ES100, in terms of clarity, which shocked me. Very stoked on these. The M2 were muddy. Didn't care for them. When iihad compare them to the DT1770, it was clear the M2 were lacking. With the M3, they sound different, it's not so much about clarity as it is tuning, and both can be EQ'd in a way that works for me. M3 beats the M2 to a pulp sound wise.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2018 at 6:00 PM Post #172 of 2,082
Get the M3. The sound is considerably better. ANC is similar between M2 and M3. It's the sound that is killer. Very near the DT 1770 with ES100, I'm terms of clarity, which shocked me. Very stoked on these. The M2 were muddy. Didn't care for them. When compq we to DT1770, it was clear the M2 were lacking. With M3, I hike they sound different, it's not so much about clarity as it is tuning, and both can be EQ'd in a way that works for me.

yes, the M3 + LDAC is one hell of a combination, APTX-HD is really good too.

Sep 14, 2018 at 8:01 PM Post #176 of 2,082
Get the M3. The sound is considerably better. ANC is similar between M2 and M3. It's the sound that is killer. Very near the DT 1770 with ES100, I'm terms of clarity, which shocked me. Very stoked on these. The M2 were muddy. Didn't care for them. When compq we to DT1770, it was clear the M2 were lacking. With M3, I hike they sound different, it's not so much about clarity as it is tuning, and both can be EQ'd in a way that works for me.

I definitely agree with getting the M3. I've had the M1 for a year and have heard the M1 = M2 in sound quality but haven't heard them. The M3 have much tighter bass, more defined mids and highs and better instrument separation. With the M1's I avoided rock / metal as they really just fell apart with combined guitar + singing + percussion. The M3 really improves upon this and rock / metal are very much improved.

Sadly, not even Sony's own website details its USB-C port type, been afraid to use my (Oneplus) Dash charger on it for that reason!

I had the temerity to charge mine with an Apple USB-c MacBook Pro charger. They charged in like 2 hours from 30% and still work FWIW.

Sep 14, 2018 at 8:40 PM Post #177 of 2,082
Bass still needs improving. It's the worst part of the sound (mids and high sound fine without noticible peaks in the treble) with boxy sounding bass, and still has that closed headphone flat feel in sound, but I want to really try it for NC (and see how it works out for my needs). It has the highest battery life of 30 hrs, and I think aux is useful for flights entertainment system.

30 hrs battery life is probably the best out of any wireless headphone. Other competitors are like 20 hrs. I want to know if anybody tested this performance.

I saw this announcement of the new AKG NC headphone.

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/9/14/17859568/samsung-akg-wireless-headphones

Sep 14, 2018 at 8:42 PM Post #178 of 2,082
Bass still needs improving. It's the worst part of the sound (mids and high sound fine without noticible peaks in the treble) with boxy sounding bass, and still has that closed headphone flat feel in sound, but I want to really try it for NC (and see how it works out for my needs). It has the highest battery life of 30 hrs, and I think aux is useful for flights entertainment system.

30 hrs battery life is probably the best out of any wireless headphone. Other competitors are like 20 hrs. I want to know if anybody tested this performance.

I saw this announcement of the new AKG NC headphone.

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/9/14/17859568/samsung-akg-wireless-headphones

How long have you been using the headphones?

Sep 14, 2018 at 8:44 PM Post #179 of 2,082
How long have you been using the headphones?
I demo'd it. I'm just pointing out the apparent-ness of the characteristics from the demo, but longer listen I can be more descriptive (as I will notice more stuff). Bass performance is pretty obvious.

I just need to get my hands on it, and I can provide a more detailed analysis. I'm most interested in the NC capability. I want to compare NC performance to other NC headphones, particularly in extreme conditions.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2018 at 8:56 PM Post #180 of 2,082
I demo'd it. I'm just pointing out the apparent-ness of the characteristics from the demo, but longer listen I can be more descriptive (as I will notice more stuff). Bass performance is pretty obvious.

I just need to get my hands on it, and I can provide a more detailed analysis. I'm most interested in the NC capability. I want to compare NC performance to other NC headphones, particularly in extreme conditions.
If it's a demo unit then it's most likely using SBC & it hasn't been broken in enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back