Sony WH-1000XM5 Wireless Noise Cancelling
Feb 26, 2024 at 3:20 PM Post #556 of 576
I tried EQ off too, but the EQ I use helps giving some way to the subs to be heard better.

I also tried the XM4s, a friend has them. The XM5s are definitely cleaner sounding.
When I bought headphones I found both xm4 and xm5 locally in one place, I had the opportunity to listen to both from my device. The xm4s sound brighter, I can see why for many people they seem to be better, more punchy bass, more treble by default and a drop in the mids. This is not my sound, xm5 are completely different, the mids are colorful, rich, the bass is simply amazing, maybe a little too high, but now I’m enjoying it. The high ones are a little lacking, but that is their style, nevertheless they are accurate and beautiful in my opinion. And the most important difference that I was able to catch is the width of the stage, I have no idea how this is possible, but in xm5 it is wider, I hear more details and directions (I think I lose this when I interfere with the eq settings) Well, the design is also important, xm4 look like regular headphones, xm5 is modern and ascetic, I really like it!

Feb 26, 2024 at 4:15 PM Post #557 of 576
I own XM4's and XM5's. TheXM5's are better. In comparison, the XM4's seem muffled. I can open them up with EQ though. BOoh have tons of bass, but I find it lacking in punch, or explosiveness, compared to some other cans I own.
My XM3 sound better now I found Wavelet I've minimised bass and maximised the top ends, I also stereo widened it at 30%. Not a details monster now by any means but it's totally changed my old buddy into fresh new personality, like it's been given a big glass of white wine spritzer.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2024 at 4:16 PM Post #558 of 576
Wow, you won't believe this, but I used the same one when I made my own. But I’ve been using eq off, dsee on for several days, maybe I’m used to it, but now I really like the soft but dense low frequencies, any attempts to influence eq immediately destroy this synergy, there is only one speaker for all frequencies. I have accepted these headphones for what they are and it brings me joy in listening
I have to say it’s the same for me.

I’ve used EQ for some time but each one I try sounds just a little off. Stock is a bit boomy but it creates this sphere around you that’s addicting. Voices have so much body and depth to them that it’s hard to change.

Feb 27, 2024 at 8:36 AM Post #559 of 576
I have to say it’s the same for me.

I’ve used EQ for some time but each one I try sounds just a little off. Stock is a bit boomy but it creates this sphere around you that’s addicting. Voices have so much body and depth to them that it’s hard to change.
I'm glad that I'm not alone, indeed, even small changes in high frequencies destroy the scene around and make the bass less attractive. I find the equalizer unnecessary on these headphones. I would be glad if Sony added a clear treble setting next to the clear bass setting, that would be enough for me.

Feb 27, 2024 at 9:40 AM Post #560 of 576
The default bass is a bit tiring for me.

Feb 27, 2024 at 3:02 PM Post #563 of 576
could you describe the sound? to be picky, the headphones lack sharpness and ringing at high frequencies, but I understand that this is their philosophy, soft with a pronounced midrange.
It just sounds clearer, more detailed without sounding overtly thin. It still has that deep tactile sub-bass too. The soundstage extends almost ten fold, turning it off while listening sounds like you are submerged into water. Depending on the song there may be a very slight sharpness to the vocals, but I don't find it too harsh for listening.

Feb 28, 2024 at 5:31 AM Post #564 of 576
I think the best combo I've found is using the XM5s with UAPP's morphit feature, the generic hi-fi target makes them sound incredible.

1000030162.jpg

To my ears this can sound even better!

Feb 28, 2024 at 5:44 AM Post #565 of 576
The thing is that it makes it hard to switch to listening to Youtube afterwards because of how it sounds in comparison without the Morphit feature... 😅

Feb 28, 2024 at 6:55 AM Post #567 of 576
I'm not in the know, does toneboosters work on iOS?

It's part of the USB Audio Player Pro app, which I don't think it's available on iOS.

The app has Tidal support, which I use, but you can also play files from your local library.

1000030173.jpg
1000030175.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2024 at 3:12 AM Post #569 of 576
I got a pair of Sony WH1000XM5 yesterday. I have a little over 2 hours use so far and I'm enjoying what I'm hearing. They're my first noise canceling headphones.
Yes they are even better in noise canceling vs my previous Bose headsets. I use the Sony WH-1000XM5 primarily for calls/music at office. A great choice for mobile use as well.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back